Old age, poverty and social investment
The paper examines two commonly held views on the relationship existing between old age and poverty in developing countries: that poverty is less pronounced among the old; and that poverty reduction programmes focused on the old have lower social payoffs than programmes aimed at the young. The paper argues that standard measures underestimate old age poverty, and that the evaluation of poverty programmes needs to take account of the economic contribution of the old and of positive externalities in old age support. It concludes that the low priority given to old age support in developing countries needs to be reconsidered. Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 14 (2002)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Angus Deaton & Christina Paxson, 1997.
"Poverty Among Children And The Elderly In Developing Countries,"
992, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Center for Research on Child Wellbeing..
- Deaton, A. & Paxson, C., 1997. "Poverty Among Children and the Eldrely in Developing Countries," Papers 179, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Angus Deaton & Christina Paxson, 1997. "Poverty among children and the elderly in developing countries," Working Papers 226, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- Anand, Sudhir & Hanson, Kara, 1997. "Disability-adjusted life years: a critical review," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 685-702, December.
- Dreze, Jean & Srinivasan, P. V., 1997. "Widowhood and poverty in rural India: Some inferences from household survey data," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 217-234, December.
- Whitehouse, Edward, 2000.
"How Poor are the Old? A Survey of Evidence from 44 Countries,"
14177, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Whitehouse, Edward, 2000. "How poor are the old? a survey of evidence from 44 countries," Social Protection Discussion Papers 23141, The World Bank.
- James P. Smith, 1999. "Healthy Bodies and Thick Wallets: The Dual Relation between Health and Economic Status," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(2), pages 145-166, Spring.
- Lanjouw, Peter & Milanovic, Branko & Paternostro, Stefano, 1998. "Poverty and the economic transition : how do changes in economies of scale affect poverty rates for different households?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2009, The World Bank.
- Haddad, Lawrence & Kanbur, Ravi, 1989.
"How serious is the neglect of intrahousehold inequality ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
296, The World Bank.
- Haddad, Lawrence & Kanbur, Ravi, 1990. "How Serious Is the Neglect of Intra-Household Inequality?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(402), pages 866-81, September.
- Haddad, L. & Kanbur, R., 1989. "How Serious Is The Neglectof Intra-Household Inequality?," Papers 450, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Browning, Martin & Francois Bourguignon & Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Valerie Lechene, 1994.
"Income and Outcomes: A Structural Model of Intrahousehold Allocation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(6), pages 1067-96, December.
- Browning, M. & Bourguignon, F. & Chiappori, P.A. & Lechene, V., 1992. "Incomes and Outcomes: A structural Model of Intra-Household Allocation," DELTA Working Papers 92-23, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Murray, Christopher J. L. & Acharya, Arnab K., 1997. "Understanding DALYs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 703-730, December.
- de Carvalho Filho, Irineu E., 2010.
"Household income as a determinant of child labor and school enrollment in Brazil: Evidence from a social security reform,"
26046, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Irineu Evangelista de Carvalho Filho, 2012. "Household Income as a Determinant of Child Labor and School Enrollment in Brazil: Evidence from a Social Security Reform," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(2), pages 399 - 435.
- Irineu E. Carvalho Filho, 2008. "Household Income As A Determinant of Child Labor and School Enrollment in Brazil: Evidence From A Social Security Reform," IMF Working Papers 08/241, International Monetary Fund.
- Lloyd-Sherlock, Peter, 2000. "Old Age and Poverty in Developing Countries: New Policy Challenges," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 2157-2168, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:14:y:2002:i:8:p:1133-1141. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.