Quantity versus quality effects of generic advertising: The case of Norwegian salmon
In this article, a two-equation sample selection model is used to estimate a household demand function for salmon incorporating domestic generic advertising. The two-equation estimation procedure, based on purchase and unit value equations, allows us to handle heavily censored panel data for salmon purchases by Norwegian households and the quality effects simultaneously. Unit values of the aggregated salmon commodity calculated from the observed expenditures and quantities are hypothesized to represent the average quality of the purchased commodity. Advertising effects on both purchases and unit values are investigated. The model also allows us to separate the effects of conditional purchases and purchase probabilities. Results indicate that most (76%) of the advertising effect is through the change of nonpurchase occasions to purchase occasions, and that generic salmon advertising induces Norwegian households to spend more money on salmon. However, advertising causes households to select more expensive products rather than increasing their purchased quantities. [EconLit citations: D12, C24]. © 2007 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 23: 85-100, 2007.
Volume (Year): 23 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ronald W. Ward, 1999. "Evaluating the beef promotion checkoff: The robustness of the conclusions," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 517-524.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Bronwyn H. Hall & Robert E. Hall & Jerry A. Hausman, 1974. "Estimation and Inference in Nonlinear Structural Models," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 3, number 4, pages 653-665 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hurst, Susan J. & Forker, Olan D., 1991. "Annotated Bibliography of Generic Commodity Promotion Research (Revised)," Research Bulletins 123107, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Timothy J. Richards, 2000. "A discrete|continuous model of fruit promotion, advertising, and response segmentation," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(2), pages 179-196.
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July.
- Ferrero, Jennifer L. & Boon, Leen & Kaiser, Harry M. & Forker, Olan D., 1996. "Annotated Bibliography of Generic Commodity Promotion Research," Research Bulletins 122819, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:23:y:2007:i:1:p:85-100. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.