Fish and meat demand in Canada: Regional differences and weak separability
The objective of this paper is to gauge to what extent there are regional differences in meat and fish demand across Canada. Three regions are defined for this purpose and the notorious problem of zeros in survey data is addressed by endogenizing the probability of purchase through the Shonkwiler and Yen approach applied to a QUAIDS demand system for each region. Probabilities of purchase and marginal effects are computed and compared as well as price and expenditure elasticities. The empirical distributions of the elasticities are simulated through bootstrapping. This allows us to formally test the null hypothesis of no regional differences between elasticities for central, western and Atlantic Canada and the null hypothesis of weak separability of fish from meats. While some significant regional differences were uncovered that can be exploited by food retailers, other findings were robust across regions. For example, the demand for fish tends to be more price and expenditure inelastic than the demand for meats. [EconLit citations: D120, C150, L660]. © 2006 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 22: 175-199, 2006.
Volume (Year): 22 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Crawford, Ian & Laisney, Francois & Preston, Ian, 2003.
"Estimation of household demand systems with theoretically compatible Engel curves and unit value specifications,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 221-241, June.
- Preston, Ian & Laisney, François & Crawford, Ian A., 2002. "Estimation of Household Demand Systems with Theoretically Compatible Engel Curves and Unit Value Specifications," ZEW Discussion Papers 97-06 [rev.], ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Ian Crawford & Francois Laisney & Ian Preston, 2002. "Estimation of household demand systems with theoretically compatible Engel curves and unit value specifications," IFS Working Papers W02/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Lariviere, Eric & Larue, Bruno & Chalfant, Jim, 2000. "Modeling the demand for alcoholic beverages and advertising specifications," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 22(2), pages 147-162, March.
- J. Scott Shonkwiler & Steven T. Yen, 1999. "Two-Step Estimation of a Censored System of Equations," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 972-982.
- Purcell, Wayne D., 1989. "The Case of Beef Demand: A Failure by the Discipline," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 4(2).
- Heckman, James J, 1978. "Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 931-959, July.
- James J. Heckman, 1977. "Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System," NBER Working Papers 0177, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gale E. West & Bruno Larue & Chedlia Touil & Shannon L. Scott, 2001. "The perceived importance of veal meat attributes in consumer choice decisions," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 365-382.
- Frederic Vermeulen, 2001. "A note on Heckman-type corrections in models for zero expenditures," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(9), pages 1089-1092.
- Heien, Dale & Wessells, Cathy Roheim, 1990. "Demand Systems Estimation with Microdata: A Censored Regression Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(3), pages 365-371, July.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Giancarlo Moschini, 1995. "Units of Measurement and the Stone Index in Demand System Estimation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 77(1), pages 63-68.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 1995. "Units of Measurement and the 'Stone Index' In Demand System Estimation," Staff General Research Papers Archive 5058, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Nelson, Forrest & Olson, Lawrence, 1978. "Specification and Estimation of a Simultaneous-Equation Model with Limited Dependent Variables," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 19(3), pages 695-709, October.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-326, June.
- Panagiotis Lazaridis, 2003. "Household meat demand in Greece: A demand systems approach using microdata," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(1), pages 43-59. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)