International Trade, Employment and Earnings: Evidence from US Rural Counties
Leichenko R. and Silva J. (2004) International trade, employment, and earnings: evidence from US rural counties, Reg. Studies 38, 355-374. Rural manufacturers in advanced countries are considered highly vulnerable to competition from international imports. Yet only limited empirical attention has been paid to the effects of trade on rural economies. This paper investigates the effects of international trade on rural manufacturing economies in the US and compares the effects of trade pressures in rural versus urban areas. Our results indicate that lower export prices are associated with increased manufacturing employment and earnings in both rural and urban counties, while lower import prices are associated with reduced rural employment but increased urban employment. Greater export orientation is associated with lower employment and earnings in both rural and urban counties, while import orientation has mixed effects.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 38 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRES20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feenstra, Robert C & Hanson, Gordon H, 1996.
"Globalization, Outsourcing, and Wage Inequality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 240-45, May.
- Haishun Sun, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investment and Regional Export Performance in China," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 317-336.
- Carlino, Gerald & Cody, Brian & Voith, Richard, 1990.
"Regional impacts of exchange rate movements,"
Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy,
Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 20(1).
- Paul Krugman, 1992. "Geography and Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262610868, March.
- Ron Martin & Peter Sunley, 2003.
"Deconstructing clusters: chaotic concept or policy panacea?,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 5-35, January.
- Ron Martin & Peter Sunley, 2002. "Deconstructing Clusters: Chaotic Concept or Policy Panacea," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp244, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Ricardo C. Gazel & R. Keith Schwer, 1998. "Growth of International Exports among the States: Can a Modified Shift-Share Analysis Explain it?," International Regional Science Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 21(2), pages 185-204, August.
- Lori G. Kletzer, 2001. "Job Loss from Imports: Measuring the Costs," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 110, January.
- Linda Goldberg & Joseph Tracy, 2000.
"Exchange Rates and Local Labor Markets,"
in: The Impact of International Trade on Wages, pages 269-307
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levernier, William & Partridge, Mark D. & Rickman, Dan S., 1998. "Differences in Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan U.S. Family Income Inequality: A Cross-County Comparison," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 272-290, September.
- Rodney A Erickson, 1990. "Export Performance and State Industrial Growth," Working Papers 90-3, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Caves, Richard & Baldwin, John R., 1997. "International Competition and Industrial Performance: Allocative Efficiency, Productive Efficiency, and Turbulence," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 1997108e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 1998.
"Understanding Increasing and Decreasing Wage Inequality,"
NBER Working Papers
6571, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2000. "Understanding Increasing and Decreasing Wage Inequality," NBER Chapters, in: The Impact of International Trade on Wages, pages 227-268 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Yoskowitz & James Giermanski & Rolando Pena-Sanchez, 2002. "The Influence of NAFTA on Socio-economic Variables for the US-Mexico Border Region," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 25-31.
- Coughlin, Cletus C & Fabel, Oliver, 1988. "State Factor Endowments and Exports: An Alternative to Cross-Industry Studies," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 696-701, November.
- Dani Rodrik, 1997. "Has Globalization Gone Too Far?," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 57, January.
- Ashok Deo Bardhan, 2001. "Globalization and Restructuring during Downturns: A Case Study of California," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(2), pages 217-235.
- Gerald A. Carlino & Richard Voith & Brian J. Cody, 1991. "The effects of exchange rate and productivity changes on U.S. industrial output at the state level," Working Papers 91-16, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Scott, Allen J., 1999. "Regions and the World Economy: The Coming Shape of Global Production, Competition, and Political Order," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296584, December.
- Kapstein, Ethan B., 2000. "Winners and Losers in the Global Economy," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 54(02), pages 359-384, March.
- Peter Pedroni, 1999.
"Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2000-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Pedroni, Peter, 1999. " Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 653-70, Special I.
- Heizi Noponen & Ann Markusen & Karl Driessen, 1997. "Trade and American Cities: Who has the Comparative Advantage?," Economic Development Quarterly, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, vol. 11(1), pages 67-87, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:regstd:v:38:y:2004:i:4:p:355-374. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.