Event Studies and the Analysis of Antitrust
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Larcker, David F. & Gordon, Lawrence A. & Pinches, George E., 1980. "Testing for Market Efficiency: A Comparison of the Cumulative Average Residual Methodology and Intervention Analysis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(02), pages 267-287, June.
- Eckbo, B. Espen, 1983. "Horizontal mergers, collusion, and stockholder wealth," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 241-273, April.
- Boardman, Anthony & Vertinsky, Ilan & Whistler, Diana, 1997. "Using information diffusion models to estimate the impacts of regulatory events on publicly traded firms," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 283-300, January.
- Eckbo, B Espen & Wier, Peggy, 1985. "Antimerger Policy under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act: A Reexamination of the Market Power Hypothesis," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(1), pages 119-149, April.
- Bosch, Jean-Claude & Eckard, E Woodrow, Jr, 1991. "The Profitability of Price Fixing: Evidence from Stock Market Reaction to Federal Indictments," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 309-317, May.
- Scott E. Hein, 2004. "Improving Tests of Abnormal Returns by Bootstrapping the Multivariate Regression Model with Event Parameters," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(3), pages 451-471.
- Arthur De Vany & Henry McMillan, 2004. "Was the Antitrust Action that Broke Up the Movie Studios Good for the Movies? Evidence from the Stock Market," American Law and Economics Review, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 135-153.
- Brady, Una & M. Feinberg, Robert, 2000. "An examination of stock-price effects of EU merger control policy," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 885-900, August.
- Bittlingmayer, George & Hazlett, Thomas W., 2000. "DOS Kapital: Has antitrust action against Microsoft created value in the computer industry?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 329-359, March.
- John Thompson & David Kaserman, 2001. "After The Fall: Stock Price Movements and the Deterrent Effect of Antitrust Enforcement," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 19(3), pages 329-334, November.
- Garbade, Kenneth D & Silber, William L & White, Lawrence J, 1982. "Market Reaction to the Filing of Antitrust Suits: An Aggregate and Cross-Sectional Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 64(4), pages 686-691, November.
- Eckbo, B Espen, 1992. " Mergers and the Value of Antitrust Deterrence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 1005-1029, July.
- Aktas, Nihat & de Bodt, Eric & Roll, Richard, 2004. "Market Response to European Regulation of Business Combinations," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(04), pages 731-757, December.
- McAfee, R. Preston & Williams, Michael A., 1988. "Can event studies detect anticompetitive mergers?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 199-203.
- Bizjak, John M & Coles, Jeffrey L, 1995. "The Effect of Private Antitrust Litigation on the Stock-Market Valuation of the Firm," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 436-461, June.
- Daniel Hosken & John David Simpson, 2001. "Have Supermarket Mergers Raised Prices? An Event Study Analysis," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 329-342.
- McWilliams, Abagail & Turk, Thomas A & Zardkoohi, Asghar, 1993. "Antitrust Policy and Mergers: The Wealth Effect of Supreme Court Decisions," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 31(4), pages 517-533, October.
- Eckbo, B Espen & Maksimovic, Vojislav & Williams, Joseph, 1990. "Consistent Estimation of Cross-Sectional Models in Event Studies," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(3), pages 343-365.
- Fee, C. Edward & Thomas, Shawn, 2004. "Sources of gains in horizontal mergers: evidence from customer, supplier, and rival firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 423-460, December.
- Lamdin, Douglas J., 2001. "Implementing and interpreting event studies of regulatory changes," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 53(2-3), pages 171-183.
- Robert W. Crandall & Clifford Winston, 2005.
"Does antitrust policy improve consumer welfare? Assessing the evidence,"
Chapters,in: Governments, Competition and Utility Regulation, chapter 2
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Robert W. Crandall & Clifford Winston, 2003. "Does Antitrust Policy Improve Consumer Welfare? Assessing the Evidence," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(4), pages 3-26, Fall.
- Shahrur, Husayn, 2005. "Industry structure and horizontal takeovers: Analysis of wealth effects on rivals, suppliers, and corporate customers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 61-98, April.
- Ajeyo Banerjee & E. Woodrow Eckard, 1998. "Are Mega-Mergers Anticompetitive? Evidence from the First Great Merger Wave," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(4), pages 803-827, Winter.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- George Ford & John Jackson & Sarah Skinner, 2010. "HAC standard errors and the event study methodology: a cautionary note," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(12), pages 1153-1156.
- Steve Janner & Daniel Schmidt, 2015. "Are economically significant bond returns explained by corporate news? An examination of the German corporate bond market," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer;Swiss Society for Financial Market Research, vol. 29(3), pages 271-298, August.
- Ralph M. Sonenshine, 2009. "Effect of Research and Development and Market Concentration on Merger Outcomes -- An Event Study of U.S. Horizontal Mergers," Working Papers 2009-16 JEL classificatio, American University, Department of Economics.
- Henryk Gurgul & Milena Suliga & Tomasz Wojtowicz, 2012.
"Responses of the Warsaw Stock Exchange to the U.S. macroeconomic data announcements,"
AGH University of Science and Technology, Faculty of Management, vol. 12, pages 41-59.
- Gurgul, Henryk & Suliga, Milena & Wójtowicz, Tomasz, 2012. "Responses of the Warsaw Stock Exchange to the U.S. macroeconomic data announcements," MPRA Paper 68578, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2012.
- Haji Ali Beigi, Maryam & Budzinski, Oliver, 2012. "On the use of event studies to evaluate economic policy decisions: A note of caution," Ilmenau Economics Discussion Papers 80, Ilmenau University of Technology, Institute of Economics.
- Darren Filson & Saman Olfati & Fatos Radoniqi, . "Evaluating Mergers in the Presence of Dynamic Competition Using Impacts on Rivals," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(4).
- Panagiotis Fotis & Michael Polemis & Nikolaos Zevgolis, 2011. "Robust Event Studies for Derogation from Suspension of Concentrations in Greece during the Period 1995–2008," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 67-89, March.
- John Kwoka & Chengyan Gu, . "Predicting Merger Outcomes: The Accuracy of Stock Market Event Studies, Market Structure Characteristics, and Agency Decisions," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(3).
More about this item
KeywordsAntitrust; Empirical Methods; Event Studies;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:ijecbs:v:13:y:2006:i:2:p:229-245. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Longhurst). General contact details of provider: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIJB20 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.