The response of industry employment to exchange rate shocks: evidence from panel cointegration
This study investigates the long-run relationship between employment and exchange rate shocks at the industry level for France. Using panel unit roots and panel cointegration analysis, it is found that the French industries are quite sensitive to exchange rate changes. The estimated long-run elasticities reveal that exchange rates do influence industry employment in the expected way, that is, real appreciations are associated with decline in manufacturing for all industries in the sample.
Volume (Year): 38 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Imed Drine & Christophe Rault, 2003. "Do panel data permit the rescue of the Balassa-Samuelson hypothesis for Latin American countries?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(3), pages 351-359.
- Abdulnasser Hatemi-J & Manuchehr Irandoust, 2004. "Is Pricing to Market Behavior a Long-Run Phenomenon? A Non-Stationary Panel Analysis," Empirica, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 55-67, March.
- Karlsson, Sune & Löthgren, Mickael, 1999.
"On the power and interpretation of panel unit root tests,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
299, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Karlsson, Sune & Lothgren, Mickael, 2000. "On the power and interpretation of panel unit root tests," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 249-255, March.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1998.
"Employment versus wage adjustment and the U.S. dollar,"
56, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2001. "Employment Versus Wage Adjustment And The U.S. Dollar," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 477-489, August.
- José Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1999. "Employment versus Wage Adjustment and the U.S. Dollar," Working Papers 99-07, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1998. "Employment versus Wage Adjustment and the US Dollar," NBER Working Papers 6749, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Pedroni, 2004.
"Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic and Finite Sample Properties of Pooled Time Series Tests with an Application to the PPP Hypothesis,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2004-15, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Pedroni, Peter, 2004. "Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic And Finite Sample Properties Of Pooled Time Series Tests With An Application To The Ppp Hypothesis," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 597-625, June.
- Nasri Harb, 2003.
"Money Demand Function: A heterogeneous Panel Application,"
Economics Working Papers
03/04-01, Department of Economics, College of Business and Economics, UAE University.
- Nasri Harb, 2004. "Money demand function: a heterogeneous panel application," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(9), pages 551-555.
- Dimitris Christopoulos, 2004. "Currency devaluation and output growth: new evidence from panel data analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(13), pages 809-813.
- William H. Branson & Richard C. Marston, 1989. "Price and Output Adjustment in Japanese Manufacturing," NBER Working Papers 2878, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul R. Krugman & Richard E. Baldwin, 1987. "The Persistence of the U.S. Trade Deficit," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(1), pages 1-56.
- Feinberg, Robert M, 1989. "The Effects of Foreign Exchange Movements on U.S. Domestic Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(3), pages 505-11, August.
- Dekle, Robert, 1998. "The yen and Japanese manufacturing employment," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 785-801, October.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Avik Chakrabarti, 2003. "Import competition, employment and wage in US manufacturing: new evidence from multivariate panel cointegration analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(13), pages 1445-1449.
- Suzanne McCoskey, 2002. "Convergence in Sub-Saharan Africa: a nonstationary panel data approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(7), pages 819-829.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:110:y:1995:i:4:p:1075-1110 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:38:y:2006:i:4:p:415-421. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.