Linking Food Security with Household’s Adaptive Capacity and Drought Risk: Implications for Sustainable Rural Development
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Kumar, R. & Surjit, V. & Bantilan, C. & Lagesh, M.A. & Yadav, U.S., 2015. "Truncated Access to Institutional Agricultural Credit as a Major Constraint for Rural Transformation: Insights from Longitudinal Village Studies," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 28(Conferenc).
- Wani, M.H. & Baba, S.H. & Hussain, M. & Yousuf, Shahid & Mir, S.A. & Kubravi, S.S., 2012. "Food and Nutritional Security in the Frame of Crop Diversification in the Temperate Region of Jammu and Kashmir," Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, vol. 67(3), pages 1-13.
- Frank Ellis, 2000. "The Determinants of Rural Livelihood Diversification in Developing Countries," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 289-302, May.
- Jha, Raghbendra & Bhattacharyya, Sambit & Gaiha, Raghav & Shankar, Shylashri, 2009.
""Capture" of anti-poverty programs: An analysis of the National Rural Employment Guarantee Program in India,"
Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 456-464, September.
- Raghbendra Jha & Sambit Bhattacharyya & Raghav Gaiha & Shylashri Shankar, 2008. "Capture of Anti-Poverty Programs: An Analysis of the National Rural Employment Guarantee Program in India," ASARC Working Papers 2008-07, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Paul Gertler & Jonathan Gruber, 2002.
"Insuring Consumption Against Illness,"
American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(1), pages 51-70, March.
- Paul Gertler & Jonathan Gruber, 1997. "Insuring Consumption Against Illness," NBER Working Papers 6035, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Gertler & Jonathan Gruber, 1998. "Insuring Consumption Against Illness," JCPR Working Papers 41, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- Kumar, Ajay & Sharma, Pritee, 2013. "Impact of climate variation on agricultural productivity and food security in rural India," Economics Discussion Papers 2013-43, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Osawe, Osayanmon Wellington, 2013. "Livelihood Vulnerability and Migration Decision Making Nexus: The Case of Rural Farm Households in Nigeria," 2013 Fourth International Conference, September 22-25, 2013, Hammamet, Tunisia 161628, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE).
- Deon Filmer & Lant Pritchett, 2001. "Estimating Wealth Effects Without Expenditure Data—Or Tears: An Application To Educational Enrollments In States Of India," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 38(1), pages 115-132, February.
- Gabriela Flores & Jaya Krishnakumar & Owen O'Donnell & Eddy van Doorslaer, 2008. "Coping with health‐care costs: implications for the measurement of catastrophic expenditures and poverty," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(12), pages 1393-1412, December.
- Griffiths, Paula & Matthews, Zoë & Hinde, Andrew, 2002. "Gender, family, and the nutritional status of children in three culturally contrasting states of India," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 55(5), pages 775-790, September.
- Timmer, C. Peter, 2000. "The macro dimensions of food security: economic growth, equitable distribution, and food price stability," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 283-295, June.
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:8:y:2016:i:4:p:395:d:68770 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mottaleb, Khondoker Abdul & Gumma, Murali K. & Mishra, Ashok K. & Mohanty, Samarendu, 2015. "Quantifying production losses due to drought and submergence of rainfed rice at the household level using remotely sensed MODIS data," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 137(C), pages 227-235.
- Carter, Kristie N. & Kruse, Kerri & Blakely, Tony & Collings, Sunny, 2011. "The association of food security with psychological distress in New Zealand and any gender differences," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 72(9), pages 1463-1471, May.
- Helen Berry & Kathryn Bowen & Tord Kjellstrom, 2010. "Climate change and mental health: a causal pathways framework," International Journal of Public Health, Springer;Swiss School of Public Health (SSPH+), vol. 55(2), pages 123-132, April.
- Ellis, Frank, 2000. "Rural Livelihoods and Diversity in Developing Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296966.
- Azeem, Muhammad Masood & Mugera, Amin W. & Schilizzi, Steven, 2016. "Living on the edge: Household vulnerability to food-insecurity in the Punjab, Pakistan," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 64(C), pages 1-13.
- J. Birkmann & O. Cardona & M. Carreño & A. Barbat & M. Pelling & S. Schneiderbauer & S. Kienberger & M. Keiler & D. Alexander & P. Zeil & T. Welle, 2013. "Framing vulnerability, risk and societal responses: the MOVE framework," Natural Hazards: Journal of the International Society for the Prevention and Mitigation of Natural Hazards, Springer;International Society for the Prevention and Mitigation of Natural Hazards, vol. 67(2), pages 193-211, June.
- Qirui Li & T. S. Amjath-Babu & Peter Zander & Zhen Liu & Klaus Müller, 2016. "Sustainability of Smallholder Agriculture in Semi-Arid Areas under Land Set-aside Programs: A Case Study from China’s Loess Plateau," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 8(4), pages 1-17, April.
- Savath, Vivien & Fletschner, Diana & Peterman, Amber & Santos, Florence, 2014. "Land, assets, and livelihoods: Gendered analysis of evidence from Odisha State in India:," IFPRI discussion papers 1323, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Stephen Devereux, 2001. "Livelihood Insecurity and Social Protection: A Re‐emerging Issue in Rural Development," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 19(4), pages 507-519, December.
- Stephen Devereux, 2007. "The impact of droughts and floods on food security and policy options to alleviate negative effects," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(s1), pages 47-58, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maryia Bakhtsiyarava & Tim G. Williams & Andrew Verdin & Seth D. Guikema, 2021. "A nonparametric analysis of household-level food insecurity and its determinant factors: exploratory study in Ethiopia and Nigeria," Food Security: The Science, Sociology and Economics of Food Production and Access to Food, Springer;The International Society for Plant Pathology, vol. 13(1), pages 55-70, February.
- Kelly F. Austin & Mark D. Noble & Virginia Kuulei Berndt, 2021. "Drying Climates and Gendered Suffering: Links Between Drought, Food Insecurity, and Women’s HIV in Less-Developed Countries," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 154(1), pages 313-334, February.
- Roquia Salam & Bonosri Ghose & Badhon Kumar Shill & Md. Aminul Islam & Abu Reza Md. Towfiqul Islam & Md. Abdus Sattar & G. M. Monirul Alam & Bayes Ahmed, 2021. "Perceived and actual risks of drought: household and expert views from the lower Teesta River Basin of northern Bangladesh," Natural Hazards: Journal of the International Society for the Prevention and Mitigation of Natural Hazards, Springer;International Society for the Prevention and Mitigation of Natural Hazards, vol. 108(3), pages 2569-2587, September.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Hare Krisna Kundo, 2018. "Micro politics of Social Safety Net Programmes: The case of the Food‐For‐Work Programme in Bangladesh," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 36(S2), pages 815-830, September.
- Mausumi Mahapatro & Deborah Johnston, 2020. "Imperfection Measures and the Production of Poverty: A Case Study of the Use of the Asset Index in Bangladesh," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 152(2), pages 513-531, November.
- Daghagh Yazd, Sahar & Wheeler, Sarah Ann & Zuo, Alec, 2020. "Understanding the impacts of water scarcity and socio-economic demographics on farmer mental health in the Murray-Darling Basin," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 169(C).
- Nguyen, Trung Thanh & Do, Truong Lam & Halkos, George & Wilson, Clevo, 2020. "Health shocks and natural resource extraction: A Cambodian case study," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 169(C).
- Rahwa Kidane & Martin Prowse & Andreas Neergaard, 2019. "Bespoke Adaptation in Rural Africa? An Asset-Based Approach from Southern Ethiopia," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan;European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes (EADI), vol. 31(3), pages 413-432, July.
- Flores, Gabriela & O’Donnell, Owen, 2016. "Catastrophic medical expenditure risk," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 1-15.
- Cristian Vasco & Rodrigo Valdiviezo & Herman Hernández & Valdano Tafur & David Eche & Estefanía Jácome, 2020. "Off-Farm Employment, Forest Clearing and Natural Resource Use: Evidence from the Ecuadorian Amazon," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 12(11), pages 1-16, June.
- Charlery, Lindy & Walelign, Solomon Zena, 2015. "Assessing environmental dependence using asset and income measures: Evidence from Nepal," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 118(C), pages 40-48.
- Martin, Sarah M. & Lorenzen, Kai, 2016. "Livelihood Diversification in Rural Laos," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 83(C), pages 231-243.
- Tuihedur Rahman, H.M. & Robinson, Brian E. & Ford, James D. & Hickey, Gordon M., 2018. "How Do Capital Asset Interactions Affect Livelihood Sensitivity to Climatic Stresses? Insights From the Northeastern Floodplains of Bangladesh," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 150(C), pages 165-176.
- Jo Durham & Keith Rickart, 2017. "Using Rasch Measurement to Evaluate a Perceived Improvement in Access to Financial Asset Scale in Rural Lao PDR," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan;European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes (EADI), vol. 29(5), pages 1053-1069, November.
- Vasco, Cristian & Torres, Bolier & Pacheco, Pablo & Griess, Verena, 2017. "The socioeconomic determinants of legal and illegal smallholder logging: Evidence from the Ecuadorian Amazon," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(C), pages 133-140.
- Nielsen, Martin Reinhardt & Pouliot, Mariève & Kim Bakkegaard, Riyong, 2012. "Combining income and assets measures to include the transitory nature of poverty in assessments of forest dependence: Evidence from the Democratic Republic of Congo," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(C), pages 37-46.
- Rao, Nitya, 2017. "Assets, Agency and Legitimacy: Towards a Relational Understanding of Gender Equality Policy and Practice," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 95(C), pages 43-54.
- Jan Fałkowski & Maciej Jakubowski & Paweł Strawiński, 2014.
"Returns from income strategies in rural Poland,"
The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 22(1), pages 139-178, January.
- Jan Fałkowski & Maciej Jakubowski & Paweł Strawiński, 2011. "Returns from income strategies in rural Poland," Working Papers 2011-05, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Fałkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawiński, Paweł, 2013. "Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland," Working papers 157916, Factor Markets, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Falkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawinski, Pawel, 2011. "Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114364, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Falkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawinski, Pawel, 2013. "Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland," Factor Markets Working Papers 178, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Food Security and Agricultural Projects Analysis Service (ESAF), 2004. "Food insecurity and vulnerability in Viet Nam: Profiles of four vulnerable groups," ESA Working Papers 23798, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Agricultural Development Economics Division (ESA).
- Macha, Raphael Rasiel, 2015. "Community Based Health Insurance Schemes and Protection of the Rural Poor: Empirical evidence from Tanzania," African Journal of Economic Review, African Journal of Economic Review, vol. 3(2), July.
- Munshi Sulaiman & Mehnaz Rabbani & Vivek A. Prakash, 2010. "Impact Assessment of CFPR/TUP: A Descriptive Analysis Based on 2002-2005 Panel Data," Working Papers id:2567, eSocialSciences.
- Soltani, Arezoo & Angelsen, Arild & Eid, Tron & Naieni, Mohammad Saeid Noori & Shamekhi, Taghi, 2012. "Poverty, sustainability, and household livelihood strategies in Zagros, Iran," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(C), pages 60-70.
- Sunderlin, William D. & Dewi, Sonya & Puntodewo, Atie & Müller, Daniel & Angelsen, Arild & Epprecht, Michael, 2008. "Why forests are important for global poverty alleviation: A spatial explanation," EconStor Open Access Articles and Book Chapters, ZBW - Leibniz Information Centre for Economics.
More about this item
KeywordsAvailability; Access; Exposure; Sensitivity; Stability; Utility; Vulnerability;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:soinre:v:142:y:2019:i:1:d:10.1007_s11205-018-1925-0. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Sonal Shukla or Springer Nature Abstracting and Indexing (email available below). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.