Immigrants’ responsiveness to labor market conditions and their impact on regional employment disparities: evidence from Spain
Using data from the Spanish Labor Force Survey (Encuesta de Población Activa) from 1999 through 2007, we explore the role of employment opportunities in explaining the growing immigrant flows of recent years. Subsequently, we investigate whether immigrant inflows have helped reduce regional employment disparities. Our results indicate that immigrants choose to reside in regions with higher employment rates for their particular skills. However, perhaps owing to its recent nature or the ability of the production infrastructure to absorb the increase in immigrant labor, immigration does not seem to have significantly helped employment convergence across regions.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 1 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:Universidad del País Vasco; DFAE II; Avenida Lehendakari Aguirre, 83; 48015 Bilbao; Spain
Phone: +34 94 6013783
Fax: + 34 94 6013774
Web page: http://www.asesec.org/index.php?idioma=en
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/13209|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carrasco, Raquel & Ortega, Ana Carolina & Jimeno, Juan F., 2004.
"The effect of immigration on the employment opportunities of native-born workers : some evidence for Spain,"
UC3M Working papers. Economics
we046122, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Raquel Carrasco & Juan Ramón García & Ana Carolina Ortega, . "The Effect of Immigration on the Employment Opportunities of Native-Born Workers: Some Evidence for Spain," Working Papers 2004-17, FEDEA.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Newey, Whitney & Rosen, Harvey S, 1988.
"Estimating Vector Autoregressions with Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1371-95, November.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate IV estimation of VAR in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00185, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Libertad Gonzalez & Francesc Ortega, 2008.
"How do Very Open Economies Absorb Large Immigration Flows? Recent Evidence from Spanish Regions,"
Development Working Papers
248, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Libertad González & Francesc Ortega, 2008. "How Do Very Open Economies Absorb Large Immigration Flows? Recent Evidence from Spanish Regions," Economic Reports 06-08, FEDEA.
- Gonzalez, Libertad & Ortega, Francesc, 2008. "How Do Very Open Economies Absorb Large Immigration Flows? Recent Evidence from Spanish Regions," IZA Discussion Papers 3311, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes & Kusum Mundra, 2005. "Social Networks and Their Impact on the Employment and Earnings of Mexican Immigrants," Labor and Demography 0502001, EconWPA.
- George J. Borjas, 2001. "Does Immigration Grease the Wheels of the Labor Market?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 32(1), pages 69-134.
- Chiswick, Barry R & Miller, Paul M, 1996. "Ethnic Networks and Language Proficiency among Immigrants," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 9(1), pages 19-35, February.
- David Card, 1997.
"Immigrant Inflows, Native Outflows, and the Local Labor Market Impacts of Higher Immigration,"
NBER Working Papers
5927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Card, David, 2001. "Immigrant Inflows, Native Outflows, and the Local Labor Market Impacts of Higher Immigration," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(1), pages 22-64, January.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "Regional Evolutions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 1-76.
- Borjas, George J & Freeman, Richard B & Katz, Lawrence, 1996.
"Searching for the Effect of Immigration on the Labor Market,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 246-51, May.
- George J. Borjas & Richard B. Freeman & Lawrence F. Katz, 1996. "Searching for the Effect of Immigration on the Labor Market," NBER Working Papers 5454, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon Gilchrist & Charles Himmelberg, 1999.
"Investment: Fundamentals and Finance,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1998, volume 13, pages 223-274
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jimeno, Juan F. & Bentolila, Samuel, 1998. "Regional unemployment persistence (Spain, 1976-1994)," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 25-51, March.
- Bartel, Ann P, 1989. "Where Do the New U.S. Immigrants Live?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(4), pages 371-91, October.
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1991.
"Convergence across States and Regions,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 107-182.
- Olympia Bover & Pilar Velilla, 1999.
"Migrations in Spain: Historical Background and Current Trends,"
9909, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Bover, Olympia & Velilla, Pilar, 1999. "Migration in Spain: Historical Background and Current Trends," IZA Discussion Papers 88, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Barro, Robert J & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 223-51, April.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence Across States and Regions," Papers 629, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence," Papers 645, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Barro, Robert J. & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Convergence," Scholarly Articles 3451299, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Kaivan Munshi, 2003. "Networks in the Modern Economy: Mexican Migrants in the U. S. Labor Market," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 118(2), pages 549-599.
- Love, Inessa & Zicchino, Lea, 2006. "Financial development and dynamic investment behavior: Evidence from panel VAR," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 190-210, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:series:v:1:y:2010:i:4:p:387-407. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.