Explaining cross-country variations in the prevalence of informal sector competitors: lessons from the World Bank Enterprise Survey
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Colin C. Williams & Alvaro Martinezâ€“Perez & Abbi M. Kedir, 2017. "Informal Entrepreneurship in Developing Economies: The Impacts of Starting up Unregistered on firm Performance," Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, , vol. 41(5), pages 773-799, September.
- Rafael La Porta & Andrei Shleifer, 2014.
"Informality and Development,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 28(3), pages 109-126, Summer.
- Rafael LaPorta & Andrei Shleifer, "undated". "Informality and Development," Working Paper 171301, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- LaPorta, Rafael & Shleifer, Andrei, 2014. "Informality and Development," Scholarly Articles 12343780, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael La Porta & Andrei Shleifer, 2014. "Informality and Development," NBER Working Papers 20205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ana Cristina O. Siqueira & Justin W. Webb & Garry D. Bruton, 2016. "Informal Entrepreneurship and Industry Conditions," Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, , vol. 40(1), pages 177-200, January.
- Colin C. Williams & Ioana A. Horodnic, 2015. "Explaining and tackling the shadow economy in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania: a tax morale approach," Baltic Journal of Economics, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 15(2), pages 81-98.
- Rafael La Porta & Andrei Shleifer, 2008. "The Unofficial Economy and Economic Development," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 39(2 (Fall)), pages 275-363.
- Colin C Williams & Youssef Youssef, 2013. "Evaluating The Gender Variations In Informal Sector Entrepreneurship: Some Lessons From Brazil," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 18(01), pages 1-16.
- Arthur T. Denzau & Douglass C. North, 1994. "Shared Mental Models: Ideologies and Institutions," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 3-31, February.
- Colin C. Williams & Abbi M. Kedir, 2017.
"Starting-up unregistered and firm performance in Turkey,"
International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 797-817, September.
- Colin C. Williams & Abbi M. Kedir, 0. "Starting-up unregistered and firm performance in Turkey," International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Springer, vol. 0, pages 1-21.
- repec:hrv:faseco:33078210 is not listed on IDEAS
- Olumide TAIWO, 2013. "Employment choice and mobility in multi-sector labour markets: Theoretical model and evidence from Ghana," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 152(3-4), pages 469-492, December.
- Hudson John & Williams Colin & Nadin Sara & Orviska Marta, 2012. "Evaluating the Impact of the Informal Economy on Businesses in South East Europe: Some Lessons from the 2009 World Bank Enterprise Survey," South East European Journal of Economics and Business, Sciendo, vol. 7(1), pages 99-110, April.
- Webb, Justin W. & Bruton, Garry D. & Tihanyi, Laszlo & Ireland, R. Duane, 2013. "Research on entrepreneurship in the informal economy: Framing a research agenda," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 598-614.
- Thai, Mai Thi Thanh & Turkina, Ekaterina, 2014. "Macro-level determinants of formal entrepreneurship versus informal entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 490-510.
- Friederike Welter & David Smallbone & Anna Pobol, 2015. "Entrepreneurial activity in the informal economy: a missing piece of the entrepreneurship jigsaw puzzle," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(5-6), pages 292-306, June.
- Maloney, William F., 2004. "Informality Revisited," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1159-1178, July.
- Ted London & Stuart L Hart, 2004. "Reinventing strategies for emerging markets: beyond the transnational model," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 35(5), pages 350-370, September.
- Williams Colin C. & Horodnic Ioana A., 2015. "Explaining The Prevalence Of The Informal Economy In The Baltics: An Institutional Asymmetry Perspective," European Spatial Research and Policy, Sciendo, vol. 22(2), pages 127-145, December.
- Kistruck, Geoffrey M. & Webb, Justin W. & Sutter, Christopher J. & Bailey, Anastasia V.G., 2015. "The double-edged sword of legitimacy in base-of-the-pyramid markets," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 436-451.
- Allingham, Michael G. & Sandmo, Agnar, 1972. "Income tax evasion: a theoretical analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3-4), pages 323-338, November.
- Colin C. Williams & Jan Windebank, 2015. "Evaluating competing theories of informal employment: some lessons from a 28-nation European survey," International Journal of Business and Globalisation, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 15(1), pages 45-62.
- Colin C Williams, 2014. "Out of the shadows: a classification of economies by the size and character of their informal sector," Work, Employment & Society, British Sociological Association, vol. 28(5), pages 735-753, October.
- Amrita Chhachhi & Barbara Harriss-White, 2014. "Labour and Petty Production," Development and Change, International Institute of Social Studies, vol. 45(5), pages 981-1000, September.
- Basak Kus, 2014. "The informal road to markets: Neoliberal reforms, private entrepreneurship and the informal economy in Turkey," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 41(4), pages 278-293, April.
- Sebastian Galiani & Federico Weinschelbaum, 2012.
"Modeling Informality Formally: Households And Firms,"
Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 50(3), pages 821-838, July.
- Sebastian Galiani & Federico Weinschelbaum, 2007. "Modeling Informality Formally: Households and Firms," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0047, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Erkko Autio & Kun Fu, 2015. "Economic and political institutions and entry into formal and informal entrepreneurship," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 67-94, March.
- Colin C. Williams & Youssef Youssef, 2014. "Classifying Latin American Economies: A Degree of Informalisation Approach," International Journal of Business Administration, International Journal of Business Administration, Sciedu Press, vol. 5(3), pages 73-85, May.
- Colin C Williams & Abbi M. Kedir, 2016. "Business Registration And Firm Performance: Some Lessons From India," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 21(03), pages 1-19, September.
- Sutter, Christopher & Webb, Justin & Kistruck, Geoff & Ketchen, David J. & Ireland, R. Duane, 2017. "Transitioning entrepreneurs from informal to formal markets," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 420-442.
- Colin C. Williams & Abbi M. Kedir, 2017. "Evaluating The Impacts Of Starting Up Unregistered On Firm Performance In Africa," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 22(03), pages 1-20, September.
- Williams, Colin C. & Shahid, Muhammad S. & Martínez, Alvaro, 2016. "Determinants of the Level of Informality of Informal Micro-Enterprises: Some Evidence from the City of Lahore, Pakistan," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 84(C), pages 312-325.
- Juan Molero & Francesc Pujol, 2012. "Walking Inside the Potential Tax Evader’s Mind: Tax Morale Does Matter," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 105(2), pages 151-162, January.
- Colin C. Williams & Besnik Krasniqi, 2018. "Explaining Informal Sector Entrepreneurship In Kosovo: An Institutionalist Perspective," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 23(02), pages 1-20, June.
More about this item
KeywordsEntrepreneurship; Informal economy; Shadow economy; Economic development; Development economics; Developing economies;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:intemj:v:15:y:2019:i:3:d:10.1007_s11365-018-0527-2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Springer Nature Abstracting and Indexing). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.