Research on entrepreneurship in the informal economy: Framing a research agenda
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Maloney, William F., 2004. "Informality Revisited," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1159-1178, July.
- Guirkinger, Catherine, 2008. "Understanding the Coexistence of Formal and Informal Credit Markets in Piura, Peru," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1436-1452, August.
- Johnson, Simon & Kaufmann, Daniel & McMillan, John & Woodruff, Christopher, 2000.
"Why do firms hide? Bribes and unofficial activity after communism,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, pages 495-520.
- Johnson, Simon & McMillan, John & Woodruff, Christopher, 1999. "Why do Firms Hide? Bribes and Unofficial Activity After Communism," CEPR Discussion Papers 2105, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Simon Johnson & Daniel Kaufmann & John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 2003. "Why Do Firms Hide? Bribes and Unofficial Activity after Communism," Public Economics 0308004, EconWPA.
- Mead, Donald C. & Morrisson, Christian, 1996. "The informal sector elephant," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(10), pages 1611-1619, October.
- Kingdon, Geeta Gandhi & Knight, John, 2004.
"Unemployment in South Africa: The Nature of the Beast,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 391-408, March.
- Geeta G. Kingdon & John B. Knight, 2001. "Unemployment in South Africa: The nature of the beast," CSAE Working Paper Series 2001-15, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Geeta Kingdon & John Knight, 2004. "Unemployment in South Africa: the nature of the beast," Labor and Demography 0409003, EconWPA.
- repec:sae:ecolab:v:16:y:2006:i:2:p:1-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gulyani, Sumila & Talukdar, Debabrata, 2010. "Inside Informality: The Links Between Poverty, Microenterprises, and Living Conditions in Nairobi's Slums," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 1710-1726, December.
- De Castro, Julio O. & Balkin, David B. & Shepherd, Dean A., 2008. "Can entrepreneurial firms benefit from product piracy?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 75-90, January.
- Livingstone, Ian, 1991. "A reassessment of Kenya's rural and urban informal sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 651-670, June.
- Hulme, David & Shepherd, Andrew, 2003. "Conceptualizing Chronic Poverty," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 403-423, March.
- Fadahunsi, Akin & Rosa, Peter, 2002. "Entrepreneurship and Illegality: Insights from the Nigerian cross-border Trade," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 397-429, September.
- Grosh, Barbara & Somolekae, Gloria, 1996. "Mighty oaks from little acorns: Can microenterprise serve as the seedbed of industrialization?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(12), pages 1879-1890, December.
- Evers, Hans-Dieter & Mehmet, Ozay, 1994. "The management of risk: Informal trade in Indonesia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-9, January.
- M. Ruth & K. Donaghy & P. Kirshen, 2006. "Introduction," Chapters,in: Regional Climate Change and Variability, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Henley, Andrew & Arabsheibani, G. Reza & Carneiro, Francisco G., 2009. "On Defining and Measuring the Informal Sector: Evidence from Brazil," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 992-1003, May.
- Baydas, Mayada M. & Bahloul, Zakaria & Adams, Dale W., 1995. "Informal finance in Egypt: "Banks" within banks," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 651-661, April.
- Nichter, Simeon & Goldmark, Lara, 2009. "Small Firm Growth in Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1453-1464, September.
- Loayza, Norman V. & Rigolini, Jamele, 2011. "Informal Employment: Safety Net or Growth Engine?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1503-1515, September.
- Hemmer, Hans-R. & Mannel, C., 1989. "On the economic analysis of the urban informal sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(10), pages 1543-1552, October.
- Guillermo E. Perry & William F. Maloney & Omar S. Arias & Pablo Fajnzylber & Andrew D. Mason & Jaime Saavedra-Chanduvi, 2007. "Informality : Exit and Exclusion," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6730.
- Guha-Khasnobis, Basudeb & Kanbur, Ravi & Ostrom, Elinor, 2006. "Beyond Formality and Informality," Working Papers 127038, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Blackman, Allen, 2000.
"Informal Sector Pollution Control: What Policy Options Do We Have?,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 2067-2082, December.
- Blackman, Allen, 1999. "Informal Sector Pollution Control: What Policy Options Do We Have?," Discussion Papers dp-00-02-rev, Resources For the Future.
- Byung-Yeon Kim, 2005. "Poverty and informal economy participation," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 13(1), pages 163-185, January.
- Honig, Benson, 1998. "What determines success? examining the human, financial, and social capital of jamaican microentrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 371-394, September.
- Rosser, J. Jr. & Rosser, Marina V. & Ahmed, Ehsan, 2000. "Income Inequality and the Informal Economy in Transition Economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 156-171, March.
- Carter, Nancy M. & Gartner, William B. & Reynolds, Paul D., 1996. "Exploring start-up event sequences," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 151-166, May.
- Erwan Quintin, 2008. "Contract enforcement and the size of the informal economy," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 37(3), pages 395-416, December.
- Bromley, Ray, 1978. "Organization, regulation and exploitation in the so-called `urban informal sector': The street traders of Cali, Colombia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 6(9-10), pages 1161-1171.
- Kantor, Paula, 2009. "Women's Exclusion and Unfavorable Inclusion in Informal Employment in Lucknow, India: Barriers to Voice and Livelihood Security," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 194-207, January.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Colin C. Williams & Abbi M. Kedir, 2017.
"Starting-up unregistered and firm performance in Turkey,"
International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal,
Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 797-817, September.
- Colin C. Williams & Abbi M. Kedir, 0. "Starting-up unregistered and firm performance in Turkey," International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Springer, vol. 0, pages 1-21.
- Elert, Niklas & Henrekson, Magnus, 2016. "Status Quo Institutions and the Benefits of Institutional Deviations," Working Paper Series 1144, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 15 Mar 2017.
- Srinivas Venugopal & Madhubalan Viswanathan, 2015. "Developing Customer Solutions for Subsistence Marketplaces in Emerging Economies: a Bottom–Up 3C (Customer, Community, and Context) Approach," Customer Needs and Solutions, Springer;Institute for Sustainable Innovation and Growth (iSIG), vol. 2(4), pages 325-336, December.
- Elert, Niklas & Henrekson, Magnus, 2017. "Entrepreneurship and Institutions: A Bidirectional Relationship," Working Paper Series 1153, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 05 May 2017.
- Colin C Williams & Abbi M. Kedir, 2016. "Business Registration And Firm Performance: Some Lessons From India," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 21(03), pages 1-19, September.
- repec:eee:jbvent:v:32:y:2017:i:4:p:420-442 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chliova, Myrto & Brinckmann, Jan & Rosenbusch, Nina, 2015. "Is microcredit a blessing for the poor? A meta-analysis examining development outcomes and contextual considerations," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 467-487.
- Pedro Mendi & Rodrigo Costamagna, 2015. "Managing Innovation under Competitive Pressure from Informal Producers Managing Innovation under Competitive Pressuire from Informal Producers," NCID Working Papers 10/2015, Navarra Center for International Development, University of Navarra.
- Colin C. Williams, 2014. "Confronting the Shadow Economy," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 15370, April.
- Erkko Autio & Kun Fu, 2015. "Economic and political institutions and entry into formal and informal entrepreneurship," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 67-94, March.
- repec:wsi:jdexxx:v:22:y:2017:i:03:n:s1084946717500170 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kaushal Mukherjee, 2016. "The Psychology of the Successful Entrepreneur," Post-Print hal-01484491, HAL.
- Kistruck, Geoffrey M. & Webb, Justin W. & Sutter, Christopher J. & Bailey, Anastasia V.G., 2015. "The double-edged sword of legitimacy in base-of-the-pyramid markets," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 436-451.
- Colin C. Williams & Friedrich Schneider, 2016. "Measuring the Global Shadow Economy," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 16551, April.
- Hazarika, Bhabesh & Goswami, Kishor, 2014. "Rural Non-Farm Micro-Entrepreneurship or Not: Gender Issue in Decision Making," EconStor Conference Papers 125611, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- Morgan, Horatio M., 2013. "Entrepreneurship in the Informal Economy of Latin America and the Caribbean: A conceptual model of the finance-performance nexus," MPRA Paper 49856, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rajeev Goel & James Saunoris & Xingyuan Zhang, 2015. "Innovation and underground entrepreneurship," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 40(5), pages 800-820, October.
- Momin Mukherjee, 2017. "Entrepreneurial Judgment and Analysis for Successful Strategy Implementation," Post-Print hal-01592484, HAL.
- Niklas Elert & Magnus Henrekson, 2016. "Evasive entrepreneurship," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 95-113, June.
- Trąpczyński, Piotr & Banalieva, Elitsa R., 2016. "Institutional difference, organizational experience, and foreign affiliate performance: Evidence from Polish firms," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 826-842.
- Hearn, Bruce, 2014. "The impact of institutions, ownership structure, business angels, venture capital and lead managers on IPO firm underpricing across North Africa," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 19-42.
- Garry Bruton & David Ahlstrom & Steven Si, 2015. "Entrepreneurship, poverty, and Asia: Moving beyond subsistence entrepreneurship," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Saurav Pathak & Emanuel Xavier-Oliveira & André O. Laplume, 2016. "Technology use and availability in entrepreneurship: informal economy as moderator of institutions in emerging economies," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 506-529, June.
More about this item
KeywordsInformal economy; Institutional theory; Motivation; Resource allocation;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbvent:v:28:y:2013:i:5:p:598-614. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusvent .