Estimating a Stock-Flow Model for the Swiss Housing Market
This paper analyzes the development of housing market imbalances, housing prices and residential investment in Switzerland within a stock-flow framework. In the long run, the desired level of residential capital stock and the existing residential capital stock revert. Empirical results indicate, however, that housing demand can diverge from the existing supply for several years due to the slow adjustment of the residential capital stock to shocks. In the short run, the market therefore has to be cleared by price adjustments. And indeed, it can be shown empirically that changes in prices are significantly and strongly dependent on the level of stock imbalances. Furthermore, housing prices prove to be an important determinant of residential investment, which in turn drives the adjustment process of the residential capital stock towards its desired level.
Volume (Year): 146 (2010)
Issue (Month): III (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41 (0)44 631 32 34
Fax: +41 (0)44 631 39 01
Web page: http://www.sjes.ch
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juselius, Katarina, 2006. "The Cointegrated VAR Model: Methodology and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199285679, March.
- Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Duca, John V. & Gabriel, Stuart A., 1991.
"Credit rationing and the demand for owner-occupied housing,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 48-63, July.
- Stuart S. Rosenthal & John V. Duca & Stuart A. Gabriel, 1987. "Credit rationing and the demand for owner-occupied housing," Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section 79, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Frédérick Demers, 2005. "Modelling and Forecasting Housing Investment: The Case of Canada," Working Papers 05-41, Bank of Canada.
- Karol Jan Borowiecki, 2009. "The Determinants of House Prices and Construction: An Empirical Investigation of the Swiss Housing Economy," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 12(3), pages 193-220.
- Barbara Rudolf & Mathias Zurlinden, 2009.
"Measuring Capital Stocks and Capital Services in Switzerland,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 145(I), pages 61-105, March.
- Barbara Rudolf & Mathias Zurlinden, 2008. "Measuring capital stocks and capital services in Switzerland," Working Papers 2008-11, Swiss National Bank.
- Jonathan McCarthy & Richard W. Peach, 2002. "Monetary policy transmission to residential investment," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue May, pages 139-158.
- Matteo Iacoviello & Stefano Neri, 2008.
"Housing market spillovers : evidence from an estimated DSGE model,"
Working Paper Research
145, National Bank of Belgium.
- Matteo Iacoviello & Stefano Neri, 2010. "Housing Market Spillovers: Evidence from an Estimated DSGE Model," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 125-64, April.
- Matteo Iacoviello & Stefano Neri, 2008. "Housing market spillovers: Evidence from an estimated DSGE model," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 659, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Matteo Iacoviello & Stefano Neri, 2007. "Housing Market Spillovers: Evidence from an Estimated DSGE Model," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 659, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 23 Oct 2009.
- Claudio Borio & Patrick McGuire, 2004. "Twin peaks in equity and housing prices?," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Raymond W. Goldsmith, 1981. "A Tentative Secular National Balance Sheet for Switzerland," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 117(II), pages 175-187, June.
- DiPasquale Denise & Wheaton William C., 1994. "Housing Market Dynamics and the Future of Housing Prices," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Oecd, 2006. "Are House Prices Nearing a Peak?: A Probit Analysis for 17 OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 488, OECD Publishing.
- Riddel, Mary, 2004. "Housing-market disequilibrium: an examination of housing-market price and stock dynamics 1967-1998," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 120-135, June.
- Topel, Robert H & Rosen, Sherwin, 1988. "Housing Investment in the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 718-40, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ses:arsjes:2010-iii-4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Steiner)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.