Fiscal Federalism: US History for Architects of Europe’s Fiscal Union
This essay on US fiscal federalism builds on the established tradition. But unlike many papers that take current US features as a given, the authors tell us what present arrangements governing responsibility over public debt gradually emerged from, and why. By bringing in the historical dimension and the trial-and-error process that took place over more than two centuries, they help us understand the logic behind alternative arrangements and why the current one has in the end prevailed.
Volume (Year): 6 (2012)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 82, Vernadsky pr., 117571, Moscow|
Phone: +7 (499) 956 95 86
Fax: (095) 564-85-80
Web page: http://www.rane.ru/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- JÃ¼rgen von Hagen & Charles Wyplosz, 2008. "EMU's Decentralized System of Fiscal Policy," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 306, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Dolls, Mathias & Fuest, Clemens & Peichl, Andreas, 2012.
"Automatic stabilizers and economic crisis: US vs. Europe,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 279-294.
- Dolls, Mathias & Fuest, Clemens & Peichl, Andreas, 2009. "Automatic Stabilizers and Economic Crisis: US vs. Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 4310, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mathias Dolls & Clemens Fuest & Andreas Peichl, 2010. "Automatic Stabilizers and Economic Crisis: US vs. Europe," Cologne Graduate School Working Paper Series 01-02, Cologne Graduate School in Management, Economics and Social Sciences.
- Dolls, Mathias & Fuest, Clemens & Peichl, Andreas, 2010. "Automatic stabilisers and economic crisis: US vs Europe," EUROMOD Working Papers EM2/10, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Mathias Dolls & Clemens Fuest & Andreas Peichl, 2010. "Automatic Stabilizers and Economic Crisis: US vs. Europe," NBER Working Papers 16275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mathias Dolls & Clemens Fuest & Andreas Peichl, 2009. "Automatic Stabilizers and Economic Crisis: US vs. Europe," CESifo Working Paper Series 2878, CESifo Group Munich.
- Nicolas Véron, 2011. "Testimony on the European debt and financial crisis," Policy Contributions 613, Bruegel.
- André Sapir & Benedicta Marzinotto & Guntram Wolff, 2011. "What Kind of Fiscal Union ?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/174293, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Benedicta Marzinotto & André Sapir & Guntram B. Wolff, 2011. "What kind of fiscal union?," Policy Briefs 646, Bruegel.
- Mark Hallerberg, 2011. "Fiscal federalism reforms in the European Union and the Greek crisis," European Union Politics, , vol. 12(1), pages 127-142, March.
- repec:cup:apsrev:v:88:y:1994:i:04:p:811-828_09 is not listed on IDEAS
- Adam Posen & Nicolas Véron, 2009. "A solution for Europe's banking problem," Policy Briefs 310, Bruegel.
- Adam S. Posen & Nicolas Veron, 2009. "A Solution for Europe's Banking Problem," Policy Briefs PB09-13, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Iara, Anna & Wolff, Guntram B., 2014. "Rules and risk in the Euro area," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 222-236.
- English, William B, 1996. "Understanding the Costs of Sovereign Default: American State Debts in the 1840's," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 259-275, March.
- James M. Poterba & Kim Rueben, 1999. "State Fiscal Institutions and the U.S. Municipal Bond Market," NBER Chapters,in: Fiscal Institutions and Fiscal Performance, pages 181-208 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James M. Poterba & Kim S. Rueben, 1997. "State Fiscal Institutions and the U.S. Municipal Bond Market," NBER Working Papers 6237, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bent E. Sorensen & Oved Yosha, 2001. "Is state fiscal policy asymmetric over the business cycle?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q III, pages 43-64.
- Poterba, James M, 1994. "State Responses to Fiscal Crises: The Effects of Budgetary Institutions and Politics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(4), pages 799-821, August.
- James M. Poterba, 1993. "State Responses to Fiscal Crisis: The Effects of Budgetary Institutionsand Politics," NBER Working Papers 4375, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wallis, John Joseph, 2005. "Constitutions, Corporations, and Corruption: American States and Constitutional Change, 1842 to 1852," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 65(01), pages 211-256, March.
- Ang, Andrew & Longstaff, Francis A., 2013. "Systemic sovereign credit risk: Lessons from the U.S. and Europe," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(5), pages 493-510.
- Andrew Ang & Francis A. Longstaff, 2011. "Systemic Sovereign Credit Risk: Lessons from the U.S. and Europe," NBER Working Papers 16982, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wallace E. Oates, 1999. "An Essay on Fiscal Federalism," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1120-1149, September.
- Alasdair Roberts, 2010. "“An ungovernable anarchy”: The United States’ response to depression and default, 1837–1848," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer;German National Library of Economics;Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), vol. 45(4), pages 196-202, July.
- Sylla, Richard & Wilson, Jack W., 1999. "Sinking funds as credible commitments: Two centuries of US national-debt experience," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 199-222, April.
- James M. Poterba, 1996. "Do Budget Rules Work?," NBER Working Papers 5550, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bertrand Candelon & Rabah Arezki & Amadou N Sy, 2011. "Are there Spillover Effects From Munis?," IMF Working Papers 11/290, International Monetary Fund.
- Poterba, James M. & Rueben, Kim S., 2001. "Fiscal News, State Budget Rules, and Tax-Exempt Bond Yields," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 537-562, November.
- Tarja Teppo & Rolf Wustenhagen, 2009. "Why corporate venture capital funds fail – evidence from the European energy industry," World Review of Entrepreneurship, Management and Sustainable Development, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 5(4), pages 353-375.
- James R. Hines Jr., 2010. "State Fiscal Policies and Transitory Income Fluctuations," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 41(2 (Fall)), pages 313-350.
- Mahdavi, Saeid & Westerlund, Joakim, 2011. "Fiscal stringency and fiscal sustainability: Panel evidence from the American state and local governments," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 953-969.
- Rose, Shanna, 2010. "Institutions and Fiscal Sustainability," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 63(4), pages 807-837, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)