The Price Puzzle and Monetary Policy Transmission Mechanism in Pakistan: Structural Vector Autoregressive Approach
This paper addresses the issue of monetary policy effectiveness, the price puzzle, and the positive response of prices to monetary tightening in Pakistan. The study examines the effects of the monetary policy shock on the price level and other macroeconomic variables such as output, exchange rate, and money supply within the structural VAR framework over the period 1992: M1 to 2010:M08. We find that a contractionary monetary policy shock has a positive effect on prices and the output increase over some horizon following the monetary tightening, but continuously falls after initial rise. The results also indicate that monetary contractions in Pakistan, over the period reviewed, are associated with the persistent depreciation of domestic currency value relative to the US dollar
Volume (Year): 49 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 1091, Islamabad-44000|
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernanke, Ben S., 1986.
"Alternative explanations of the money-income correlation,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 49-99, January.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 1986. "Alternative Explanations of the Money-Income Correlation," NBER Working Papers 1842, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krusec, Dejan, 2010. "The "price puzzle" in the monetary transmission VARs with long-run restrictions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 106(3), pages 147-150, March.
- Saqib, Omar F & Omer, Muhamad, 2008.
"Monetary Targeting in Pakistan: A Skeptical Note,"
14883, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giordani, Paolo, 2001.
"An Alternative Explanation of the Price Puzzle,"
Working Paper Series
125, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Giordani, Paolo, 2000. "An alternative explanation of the price puzzle," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 414, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 06 Dec 2000.
- Sims, Christopher A. & Zha, Tao, 2006.
"Does Monetary Policy Generate Recessions?,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 231-272, April.
- Kim, Soyoung, 1999. "Do monetary policy shocks matter in the G-7 countries? Using common identifying assumptions about monetary policy across countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 387-412, August.
- Qayyum, Abdul, 2008. "Does Monetary Policy Play Effective Role in Controlling Inflation in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 13080, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Asif Idrees Agha & Noor Ahmed & Yasir Ali Mubarik & Hastam Shah, 2005. "Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy in Pakistan," SBP Research Bulletin, State Bank of Pakistan, Research Department, vol. 1, pages 1-23.
- Christopher A. Sims, 1992.
"Interpreting the Macroeconomic Time Series Facts: The Effects of Monetary Policy,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1011, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Sims, Christopher A., 1992. "Interpreting the macroeconomic time series facts : The effects of monetary policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 975-1000, June.
- Efrem Castelnuovo & Paolo Surico, 2009.
"Monetary Policy, Inflation Expectations and the Price Puzzle,"
"Marco Fanno" Working Papers
0101, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Efrem Castelnuovo & Paolo Surico, 2010. "Monetary Policy, Inflation Expectations and The Price Puzzle," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 120(549), pages 1262-1283, December.
- Castelnuovo, Efrem & Surico, Paolo, 2009. "Monetary policy, inflation expectations and the price puzzle," Research Discussion Papers 30/2009, .
- Kim, Soyoung & Roubini, Nouriel, 2000. "Exchange rate anomalies in the industrial countries: A solution with a structural VAR approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 561-586, June.
- Noor Ahmed & Hastam Shah & Asif Idrees Agha & Yasir Ali Mubarik, 2005. "Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy in Pakistan," SBP Working Paper Series 09, State Bank of Pakistan, Research Department.
- Christopher A. Sims, 1986. "Are forecasting models usable for policy analysis?," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 2-16.
- Hanson, Michael S., 2004. "The "price puzzle" reconsidered," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 1385-1413, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:journl:v:49:y:2010:i:4:p:449-460. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.