Measuring the effects of monetary policy in Pakistan: A factor augmented vector autoregressive approach
This paper examines the effects of monetary policy in Pakistan economy using a data rich environment. We used the Factor Augmented Vector Autoregressive (FAVAR) methodology, which contains 115 monthly variables for the period 1992:01 to 2010:12. We compare the results of VAR and FAVAR model and the results showed that FAVAR model explains the effects of monetary policy which are consistent with theory and better than VAR model. VAR model shows the existence of price puzzle and liquidity puzzle in Pakistan while FAVAR model did not provide any evidence of puzzles. FAVAR model supports the effectiveness of interest rate channel in Pakistan.
|Date of creation:||16 Jan 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carl E. Walsh, 2010. "Monetary Theory and Policy, Third Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 3, volume 1, number 0262013770, September.
- Christopher A. Sims, 1992.
"Interpreting the Macroeconomic Time Series Facts: The Effects of Monetary Policy,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1011, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Sims, Christopher A., 1992. "Interpreting the macroeconomic time series facts : The effects of monetary policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 975-1000, June.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2000.
"Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
440, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2002. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 191-221, January.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2000. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1504, Econometric Society.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Jean Boivin & Piotr Eliasz, 2005. "Measuring the Effects of Monetary Policy: A Factor-Augmented Vector Autoregressive (FAVAR) Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 120(1), pages 387-422.
- Breitung, Jörg & Eickmeier, Sandra, 2005.
"Dynamic factor models,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2005,38, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Alan S. Blinder, 1989.
"The federal funds rate and the channels of monetary transmission,"
89-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Bernanke, Ben S & Blinder, Alan S, 1992. "The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transmission," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 901-921, September.
- Ben Bernanke, 1990. "The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transnission," NBER Working Papers 3487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miyao, Ryuzo, 2002. "The Effects of Monetary Policy in Japan," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(2), pages 376-392, May.
- Jon Faust & John H. Rogers & Eric Swanson & Jonathan H. Wright, 2003.
"Identifying the Effects of Monetary Policy Shocks on Exchange Rates Using High Frequency Data,"
NBER Working Papers
9660, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jon Faust & John H. Rogers & Eric Swanson & Jonathan H. Wright, 2003. "Identifying the Effects of Monetary Policy Shocks on Exchange Rates Using High Frequency Data," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(5), pages 1031-1057, 09.
- Faust, Jon & Rogers, John H. & Swanson, Eric & Wright, Jonathan H., 2002. "Identifying the effects of monetary policy shocks on exchange rates using high frequency data," Working Paper Series 0167, European Central Bank.
- Jon Faust & John H. Rogers & Eric T. Swanson & Jonathan H. Wright, 2002. "Identifying the effects of monetary policy shocks on exchange rates using high frequency data," International Finance Discussion Papers 739, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Peersman, Gert & Smets, Frank, 2001. "The monetary transmission mechanism in the euro area: more evidence from VAR analysis," Working Paper Series 0091, European Central Bank.
- Muhammad Javid & Kashif Munir, 2010.
"The Price Puzzle and Monetary Policy Transmission Mechanism in Pakistan: Structural Vector Autoregressive Approach,"
The Pakistan Development Review,
Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 49(4), pages 449-460.
- Javid, Muhammad & Munir, Kashif, 2011. "The price puzzle and monetary policy transmission mechanism in Pakistan: Structural vector autoregressive approach," MPRA Paper 30670, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 2002. "Macroeconomic Forecasting Using Diffusion Indexes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 147-162, April.
- Bagliano, Fabio C. & Favero, Carlo A., 1998.
"Measuring monetary policy with VAR models: An evaluation,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(6), pages 1069-1112, June.
- Fabio C. Bagliano & Carlo A. Favero, "undated". "Measuring Monetary Policy with VAR Models: an Evaluation," Working Papers 132, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Bagliano, Fabio-Cesare & Favero, Carlo A., 1997. "Measuring Monetary Policy with VAR Models: An Evaluation," CEPR Discussion Papers 1743, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Muhammad Sadiq Ansari, 2007. "An Empirical Investigation of Cost Efficiency in the Banking Sector of Pakistan," SBP Research Bulletin, State Bank of Pakistan, Research Department, vol. 3, pages 209-231.
- Alain Kabundi & Nonhlanhla Ngwenya, 2011. "Assessing Monetary Policy In South Africa In A Data‐Rich Environment," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 79(1), pages 91-107, 03.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Boivin, Jean, 2003.
"Monetary policy in a data-rich environment,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 525-546, April.
- Bénédicte Vidaillet & V. D'Estaintot & P. Abécassis, 2005. "Introduction," Post-Print hal-00287137, HAL.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Blaes, Barno, 2009. "Money and monetary policy transmission in the euro area: evidence from FAVAR- and VAR approaches," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2009,18, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Gianluca Lagana & Andrew Mountford, 2005. "Measuring Monetary Policy In The Uk: A Factor-Augmented Vector Autoregression Model Approach," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 73(s1), pages 77-98, 09.
- Masahiko Shibamoto, 2007. "An Analysis Of Monetary Policy Shocks In Japan: A Factor Augmented Vector Autoregressive Approach," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 58(4), pages 484-503.
- Mahmood ul Hasan Khan, 2008. "Short-Run Effects of an Unanticipated Change in Monetary Policy: Interpreting Macroeconomic Dynamics in Pakistan," SBP Working Paper Series 22, State Bank of Pakistan, Research Department.
- Lutz Kilian, 1998. "Small-Sample Confidence Intervals For Impulse Response Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(2), pages 218-230, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:35976. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.