Measuring the effects of monetary policy in Pakistan: A factor augmented vector autoregressive approach
This paper examines the effects of monetary policy in Pakistan economy using a data rich environment. We used the Factor Augmented Vector Autoregressive (FAVAR) methodology, which contains 115 monthly variables for the period 1992:01 to 2010:12. We compare the results of VAR and FAVAR model and the results showed that FAVAR model explains the effects of monetary policy which are consistent with theory and better than VAR model. VAR model shows the existence of price puzzle and liquidity puzzle in Pakistan while FAVAR model did not provide any evidence of puzzles. FAVAR model supports the effectiveness of interest rate channel in Pakistan.
|Date of creation:||16 Jan 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ben S. Bernanke & Alan S. Blinder, 1989.
"The federal funds rate and the channels of monetary transmission,"
89-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Bernanke, Ben S & Blinder, Alan S, 1992. "The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transmission," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 901-921, September.
- Ben Bernanke, 1990. "The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transnission," NBER Working Papers 3487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lutz Kilian, 1998. "Small-Sample Confidence Intervals For Impulse Response Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(2), pages 218-230, May.
- Peersman, Gert & Smets, Frank, 2001. "The monetary transmission mechanism in the euro area: more evidence from VAR analysis," Working Paper Series 0091, European Central Bank.
- Fabio C. Bagliano & Carlo A. Favero, "undated".
"Measuring Monetary Policy with VAR Models: an Evaluation,"
132, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Bagliano, Fabio C. & Favero, Carlo A., 1998. "Measuring monetary policy with VAR models: An evaluation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(6), pages 1069-1112, June.
- Bagliano, Fabio-Cesare & Favero, Carlo A., 1997. "Measuring Monetary Policy with VAR Models: An Evaluation," CEPR Discussion Papers 1743, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jon Faust & John H. Rogers & Eric Swanson & Jonathan H. Wright, 2003.
"Identifying the Effects of Monetary Policy Shocks on Exchange Rates Using High Frequency Data,"
NBER Working Papers
9660, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jon Faust & John H. Rogers & Eric Swanson & Jonathan H. Wright, 2003. "Identifying the Effects of Monetary Policy Shocks on Exchange Rates Using High Frequency Data," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(5), pages 1031-1057, 09.
- Faust, Jon & Rogers, John H. & Swanson, Eric & Wright, Jonathan H., 2002. "Identifying the effects of monetary policy shocks on exchange rates using high frequency data," Working Paper Series 0167, European Central Bank.
- Jon Faust & John H. Rogers & Eric T. Swanson & Jonathan H. Wright, 2002. "Identifying the effects of monetary policy shocks on exchange rates using high frequency data," International Finance Discussion Papers 739, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Muhammad Javid & Kashif Munir, 2010.
"The Price Puzzle and Monetary Policy Transmission Mechanism in Pakistan: Structural Vector Autoregressive Approach,"
The Pakistan Development Review,
Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 49(4), pages 449-460.
- Javid, Muhammad & Munir, Kashif, 2011. "The price puzzle and monetary policy transmission mechanism in Pakistan: Structural vector autoregressive approach," MPRA Paper 30670, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mahmood-ul-Hasan Khan, 2008. "Short Run Effects of an Unanticipated Change in Monetary Policy: Interpreting Macroeconomic Dynamics in Pakistan," SBP Research Bulletin, State Bank of Pakistan, Research Department, vol. 4, pages 1-30.
- Miyao, Ryuzo, 2002. "The Effects of Monetary Policy in Japan," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(2), pages 376-392, May.
- Bénédicte Vidaillet & V. D'Estaintot & P. Abécassis, 2005. "Introduction," Post-Print hal-00287137, HAL.
- Mahmood ul Hasan Khan, 2008. "Short-Run Effects of an Unanticipated Change in Monetary Policy: Interpreting Macroeconomic Dynamics in Pakistan," SBP Working Paper Series 22, State Bank of Pakistan, Research Department.
- Masahiko Shibamoto, 2007. "An Analysis Of Monetary Policy Shocks In Japan: A Factor Augmented Vector Autoregressive Approach," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 58(4), pages 484-503.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:35976. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.