Development as Social Inclusion: Reflections on the US subprime crisis
Gary A. Dymski argues that the twin ideas of social exclusion and inclusion should be incorporated as central elements in development thinking of practitioners and theorists. The failure of economists to make analytical room for these twin notions has caused them to miss or misinterpret significant aspects of the development process, and of development crisis. Indeed, the 2007–2008 subprime crisis provides apt evidence of the significance of social inclusion in development; for its roots lie in the historical evolution of financial exclusion in the United States.
Volume (Year): 53 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/social+sciences/journal/41301/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A Leyshon & N Thrift, 1996. "Financial exclusion and the shifting boundaries of the financial system," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 28(7), pages 1150-1156, July.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009.
"Varieties of Crises and Their Dates,"
Introductory Chapters,in: This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly
Princeton University Press.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8973, March.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2009. "The Second Great Contraction," MPRA Paper 21485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Durlauf, Steven N., 1994. "Spillovers, stratification, and inequality," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 836-845, April.
- Durlauf, S.N., 1993. "Spillovers, Stratification, and Inequality," Working papers 9327, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Quigley John M., 2008. "Compensation and Incentives in the Mortgage Business," The Economists' Voice, De Gruyter, vol. 5(6), pages 1-3, October.
- Roland Benabou, 1993. "Workings of a City: Location, Education, and Production," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 619-652.
- Roland Benabou, 1991. "Workings of a City: Location, Education, and Production," NBER Technical Working Papers 0113, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pal:develp:v:53:y:2010:i:3:p:368-375. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.