Unionisation Structure and Outward Foreign Direct Investment
We analyse the effects of the unionisation structure on the incentive for outward foreign direct investment (FDI) and on union utility. The incentive for outward FDI is higher under a centralised union than under decentralised unions, irrespective of the number of firms in the industry. If the number of firms undertaking FDI is higher under a centralised union than under decentralised unions, wages and the union utility can be higher under the latter unionisation structure, depending on the competitiveness of the industry. There may not be a conflict of interest between domestic labour union and domestic industry about the unionisation structure.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 168 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/jite|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brainard, S Lael, 1997. "An Empirical Assessment of the Proximity-Concentration Trade-off between Multinational Sales and Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 520-544, September.
- Justus Haucap & Uwe Pauly & Christian Wey, 2007.
"A Cartel Analysis of the German Labor Institutions and its Implications for Labor Market Reforms,"
Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE),
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 163(3), pages 503-516, September.
- Justus Haucap & Uwe Pauly & Christian Wey, 2006. "A Cartel Analysis of the German Labor Institutions and Its Implications for Labor Market Reforms," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 651, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Haucap, Justus & Pauly, Uwe & Wey, Christian, 2007. "A Cartel Analysis of the German Labor Institutions and Its Implications for Labor Market Reforms," Ruhr Economic Papers 9, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Bughin, Jacques & Vannini, Stefano, 1995. "Strategic direct investment under unionized oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 127-145, March.
- Horn, Henrik & Wolinsky, Asher, 1988. "Worker Substitutability and Patterns of Unionisation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 484-497, June.
- repec:zbw:rwirep:0009 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kjell Erik Lommerud & Frode Meland & Lars S¯rgard, 2003. "Unionised Oligopoly, Trade Liberalisation and Location Choice," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(490), pages 782-800, October.
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Meland, Frode & Sørgard, Lars, 2001. "Unionized Oligopoly, Trade Liberalization and Location Choice," CEPR Discussion Papers 2990, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kjell Erik Lommerud & Frode Meland & Lars Sørgard, 2002. "Unionized Oligopoly, Trade Liberalization and Location Choice," CESifo Working Paper Series 777, CESifo Group Munich.
- Robin Naylor & Michele Santoni, 2003. "Foreign direct investment and wage bargaining," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 1-18.
- Robin Naylor & Michele Santoni, 1999. "Foreign direct investment and wage bargaining," CSGR Working papers series 41/99, Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR), University of Warwick.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, April.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, April.
- Junichiro Ishida & Noriaki Matsushima, 2005. "Outward Foreign Direct Investment in Unionized Oligopoly: Some Welfare Implications," Discussion Papers 2005-39, Kobe University, Graduate School of Business Administration.
- Lopez, Monica Correa & Naylor, Robin A., 2004. "The Cournot-Bertrand profit differential: A reversal result in a differentiated duopoly with wage bargaining," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 681-696, June.
- Leahy, Dermot & Montagna, Catia, 2000. "Unionisation and Foreign Direct Investment: Challenging Conventional Wisdom?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages 80-92, March.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc J. Melitz & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2004. "Export Versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 300-316, March.
- Yeaple, Stephen & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2004. "Export versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms," Scholarly Articles 3229098, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Carl, 1988. "Multiunit Bargaining in Oligopolistic Industries," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 6(3), pages 397-422, July.
- Robert J. Flanagan, 1999. "Macroeconomic Performance and Collective Bargaining: An International Perspective," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1150-1175, September.
- Arijit Mukherjee, 2008. "Unionised Labour Market and Strategic Production Decision of a Multinational," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(532), pages 1621-1639, October.
- Harry C. Katz, 1993. "The Decentralization of Collective Bargaining: A Literature Review and Comparative Analysis," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 47(1), pages 3-22, October.
- David Collie & Hylke Vandenbussche, 2005. "Can Import Tariffs Deter Outward FDI?," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 341-362, October.
- COLLIE, David R. & VANDENBUSSCHE, Hylke, "undated". "Can import tariffs deter outward FDI?," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1907, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Minsik Choi, 2001. "Threat Effect of Foreign Direct Investment on Labor Union Wage Premium," Working Papers wp27, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Iversen, Torben, 1998. "Wage Bargaining, Central Bank Independence, and the Real Effects of Money," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 52(03), pages 469-504, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)