Unionized Oligopoly, Trade Liberalization and Location Choice
In a two-country reciprocal-dumping model, with one country unionized, we analyse how wage setting and firm location are influenced by trade liberalization. We show that trade liberalization can induce a unionized firm to move all production abroad. This cannot prevail in a corresponding, non-unionized model. Trade liberalization has a non-monotonic effect on wages. For a given location choice, trade liberalization increases national welfare in the unionized country. When a shift of some or all production to the foreign country occurs, national welfare can be reduced.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Collie, D. & Vandenbussche, H., 1999.
"Trade, FDI, and unions,"
1999-42, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bughin, Jacques & Vannini, Stefano, 1995. "Strategic direct investment under unionized oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 127-145, March.
- Richard B. Freeman, 1995. "Are Your Wages Set in Beijing?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 15-32, Summer.
- Naylor, Robin, 1999.
"Union Wage Strategies and International Trade,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(452), pages 102-25, January.
- Naylor, Robin, 1997. "Union Wage Strategies and International Trade," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 480, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Jean-Pierre DANTHINE & Jennifer HUNT, 1992.
"Wage Bargaining Structure, Employment and Economic Integration,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
9204, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre & Hunt, Jennifer, 1994. "Wage Bargaining Structure, Employment and Economic Integration," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 528-41, May.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre & Hunt, Jennifer, 1992. "Wage Bargaining Structure, Employment and Economic Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 694, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Huizinga, Harry, 1993.
" International Market Integration and Union Wage Bargaining,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(2), pages 249-55.
- Huizinga, H.P., 1993. "International market integration and union wage bargaining," Other publications TiSEM 567712dd-8f03-40d8-8428-c, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Driffill, John & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1995. " Trade Liberalization with Imperfect Competition in Goods and Labour Markets," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(2), pages 223-43, June.
- Jan Rose SØRENSEN, 1993. "Integration of Product Markets when Labour Markets are Unionized," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1993044, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Driffill, John & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1993. "Monopoly Unions and the Liberalisation of International Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(417), pages 379-85, March.
- Jan Sørensen, 1994. "Market integration and imperfect competition in labor and product markets," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 115-130, March.
- Susan E. Feinberg & Michael P. Keane & Mario F. Bognanno, 1998. "Trade Liberalization and Delocalization: New Evidence from Firm-Level Panel Data," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(4), pages 749-777, November.
- Mary E. Lovely & J. David Richardson, 1998.
"Trade Flows and Wage Premiums: Does Who or What Matter?,"
NBER Working Papers
6668, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mary E. Lovely & J. David Richardson, 2000. "Trade Flows and Wage Premiums: Does Who or What Matter?," NBER Chapters, in: The Impact of International Trade on Wages, pages 309-348 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arulampalam, W. & Robin A. Naylor & Jeremy P. Smith, 2002. "University of Warwick," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 9, Royal Economic Society.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1998.
"Multinational firms and the new trade theory,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 183-203, December.
- Mezzetti, C. & Dinopoulos, E., 1989.
"Domestic Unionization And Import Competition,"
337, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Noel Gaston & Daniel Trefler, 1994. "Protection, Trade, and Wages: Evidence from U.S. Manufacturing," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 47(4), pages 574-593, July.
- Dowrick, Steve, 1989. "Union-Oligopoly Bargaining," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(398), pages 1123-42, December.
- Zhao, Laixun, 1995. "Cross-hauling direct foreign investment and unionized oligopoly," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 1237-1253, June.
- Straume, O.R., 1999.
"Union Collusion and Intra-Industry Trade,"
Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen
1399, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Naylor, Robin, 1998. "International trade and economic integration when labour markets are generally unionised," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(7), pages 1251-1267, July.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1988. "Unionized oligopoly and international trade policy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 217-234, May.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 1998.
"North American Economic Integration and Industry Location,"
NBER Working Papers
6587, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hanson, Gordon H, 1998. "North American Economic Integration and Industry Location," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 30-44, Summer.
- Martine Durand & Christophe Madaschi & Flavia Terribile, 1998. "Trends in OECD Countries' International Competitiveness: The Influence of Emerging Market Economies," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 195, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:2990. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.