Unionized Oligopoly, Trade Liberalization and Location Choice
In a two-country reciprocal-dumping model, with one country unionized, we analyse how wage setting and firm location are influenced by trade liberalization. We show that trade liberalization can induce a unionized firm to move all production abroad. This cannot prevail in a corresponding, non-unionized model. Trade liberalization has a non-monotonic effect on wages. For a given location choice, trade liberalization increases national welfare in the unionized country. When a shift of some or all production to the foreign country occurs, national welfare can be reduced.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huizinga, H.P., 1993.
"International market integration and union wage bargaining,"
Other publications TiSEM
567712dd-8f03-40d8-8428-c, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Huizinga, Harry, 1993. " International Market Integration and Union Wage Bargaining," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(2), pages 249-55.
- Naylor, Robin, 1999.
"Union Wage Strategies and International Trade,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(452), pages 102-25, January.
- Naylor, Robin, 1997. "Union Wage Strategies and International Trade," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 480, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Hanson, Gordon H, 1998.
"North American Economic Integration and Industry Location,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 30-44, Summer.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 1998. "North American Economic Integration and Industry Location," NBER Working Papers 6587, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Noel Gaston & Daniel Trefler, 1994.
"Protection, trade, and wages: Evidence from U.S. manufacturing,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 47(4), pages 574-593, July.
- Noel Gaston & Daniel Trefler, 1994. "Protection, Trade, and Wages: Evidence from U.S. Manufacturing," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 47(4), pages 574-593, July.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1995.
"Multinational Firms and The New Trade Theory,"
NBER Working Papers
5036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Driffill, John & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1995. " Trade Liberalization with Imperfect Competition in Goods and Labour Markets," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(2), pages 223-43, June.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre & Hunt, Jennifer, 1994.
"Wage Bargaining Structure, Employment and Economic Integration,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 528-41, May.
- Jean-Pierre DANTHINE & Jennifer HUNT, 1992. "Wage Bargaining Structure, Employment and Economic Integration," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9204, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre & Hunt, Jennifer, 1992. "Wage Bargaining Structure, Employment and Economic Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 694, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dowrick, Steve, 1989. "Union-Oligopoly Bargaining," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(398), pages 1123-42, December.
- Martine Durand & Christophe Madaschi & Flavia Terribile, 1998. "Trends in OECD Countries' International Competitiveness: The Influence of Emerging Market Economies," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 195, OECD Publishing.
- Richard B. Freeman, 1995. "Are Your Wages Set in Beijing?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 15-32, Summer.
- Bughin, Jacques & Vannini, Stefano, 1995. "Strategic direct investment under unionized oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 127-145, March.
- Collie, D. & Vandenbussche, H., 1999.
"Trade, FDI, and unions,"
1999-42, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Zhao, Laixun, 1995. "Cross-hauling direct foreign investment and unionized oligopoly," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 1237-1253, June.
- Mezzetti, Claudio & Dinopoulos, Elias, 1991.
"Domestic unionization and import competition,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 79-100, August.
- Jan SÃ¸rensen, 1994. "Market integration and imperfect competition in labor and product markets," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 115-130, March.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1988. "Unionized oligopoly and international trade policy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 217-234, May.
- Straume, Odd Rune, 2002.
"Union collusion and intra-industry trade,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 631-652, May.
- Straume, O.R., 1999. "Union Collusion and Intra-Industry Trade," Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen 1399, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Naylor, Robin, 1998. "International trade and economic integration when labour markets are generally unionised," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(7), pages 1251-1267, July.
- Arulampalam, W. & Robin A. Naylor & Jeremy P. Smith, 2002. "University of Warwick," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 9, Royal Economic Society.
- Driffill, John & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1993. "Monopoly Unions and the Liberalisation of International Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(417), pages 379-85, March.
- Mary E. Lovely & J. David Richardson, 1998.
"Trade Flows and Wage Premiums: Does Who or What Matter?,"
NBER Working Papers
6668, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mary E. Lovely & J. David Richardson, 2000. "Trade Flows and Wage Premiums: Does Who or What Matter?," NBER Chapters, in: The Impact of International Trade on Wages, pages 309-348 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Susan E. Feinberg & Michael P. Keane & Mario F. Bognanno, 1998. "Trade Liberalization and Delocalization: New Evidence from Firm-Level Panel Data," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(4), pages 749-777, November.
- Jan Rose SØRENSEN, 1993. "Integration of Product Markets when Labour Markets are Unionized," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1993044, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:2990. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.