Unionised Oligopoly, Trade Liberalisation and Location Choice
In a two-country reciprocal dumping model, with one country unionised, we analyse how wage setting and firm location are influenced by trade liberalisation. We show that trade liberalisation can induce FDI, which is at odds with conventional theoretical wisdom and cannot happen in a corresponding model without unionisation. FDI is undertaken partly to win a distributional battle with unionised labour and the incentives to invest abroad can be too large seen from a welfare point of view. Copyright 2003 Royal Economic Society.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 113 (2003)
Issue (Month): 490 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishers.co.uk/asp/journal.asp?ref=0013-0133|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mezzetti, Claudio & Dinopoulos, Elias, 1991.
"Domestic unionization and import competition,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 79-100, August.
- Bughin, Jacques & Vannini, Stefano, 1995. "Strategic direct investment under unionized oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 127-145, March.
- Driffill, John & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1995. " Trade Liberalization with Imperfect Competition in Goods and Labour Markets," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(2), pages 223-43, June.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1995.
"Multinational Firms and The New Trade Theory,"
NBER Working Papers
5036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jan Rose SÃ˜RENSEN, 1993. "Integration of Product Markets when Labour Markets are Unionized," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1993044, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Driffill, John & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1993. "Monopoly Unions and the Liberalisation of International Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(417), pages 379-85, March.
- Straume, O.R., 1999.
"Union Collusion and Intra-Industry Trade,"
Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen
1399, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Martine Durand & Christophe Madaschi & Flavia Terribile, 1998. "Trends in OECD Countries' International Competitiveness: The Influence of Emerging Market Economies," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 195, OECD Publishing.
- Zhao, Laixun, 1995. "Cross-hauling direct foreign investment and unionized oligopoly," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 1237-1253, June.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre & Hunt, Jennifer, 1994.
"Wage Bargaining Structure, Employment and Economic Integration,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 528-41, May.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre & Hunt, Jennifer, 1992. "Wage Bargaining Structure, Employment and Economic Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 694, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jean-Pierre DANTHINE & Jennifer HUNT, 1992. "Wage Bargaining Structure, Employment and Economic Integration," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9204, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Arulampalam, W. & Robin A. Naylor & Jeremy P. Smith, 2002. "University of Warwick," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 9, Royal Economic Society.
- Huizinga, H.P., 1993.
"International market integration and union wage bargaining,"
Other publications TiSEM
567712dd-8f03-40d8-8428-c, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Huizinga, Harry, 1993. " International Market Integration and Union Wage Bargaining," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(2), pages 249-55.
- Dowrick, Steve, 1989. "Union-Oligopoly Bargaining," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(398), pages 1123-42, December.
- Collie, D. & Vandenbussche, H., 1999.
"Trade, FDI, and unions,"
1999-42, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Naylor, Robin, 1998. "International trade and economic integration when labour markets are generally unionised," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(7), pages 1251-1267, July.
- Susan E. Feinberg & Michael P. Keane & Mario F. Bognanno, 1998. "Trade Liberalization and Delocalization: New Evidence from Firm-Level Panel Data," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(4), pages 749-777, November.
- Jan SÃ¸rensen, 1994. "Market integration and imperfect competition in labor and product markets," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 115-130, March.
- Naylor, Robin, 1997.
"Union Wage Strategies and International Trade,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
480, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1988. "Unionized oligopoly and international trade policy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 217-234, May.
- Noel Gaston & Daniel Trefler, 1994.
"Protection, Trade, and Wages: Evidence from U.S. Manufacturing,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 47(4), pages 574-593, July.
- Noel Gaston & Daniel Trefler, 1994. "Protection, trade, and wages: Evidence from U.S. manufacturing," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 47(4), pages 574-593, July.
- Richard B. Freeman, 1995. "Are Your Wages Set in Beijing?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 15-32, Summer.
- Mary E. Lovely & J. David Richardson, 2000.
"Trade Flows and Wage Premiums: Does Who or What Matter?,"
in: The Impact of International Trade on Wages, pages 309-348
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mary E. Lovely & J. David Richardson, 1998. "Trade Flows and Wage Premiums: Does Who or What Matter?," NBER Working Papers 6668, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 1998.
"North American Economic Integration and Industry Location,"
NBER Working Papers
6587, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hanson, Gordon H, 1998. "North American Economic Integration and Industry Location," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 30-44, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecj:econjl:v:113:y:2003:i:490:p:782-800. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.