About Governance and Evaluation of Sustainability of Farming Enterprise
The issue of governance and evaluation of sustainability of farming enterprise like individual and family farms, agro-companies, agro-cooperatives, etc. is among the most discussed among researchers, farmers, investors, politicians, interests groups and public at large. Despite the significant development of the theory and practice in that new area still there is no common understanding on “what is (how to define) sustainability of farming enterprises?”, „what is the difference and relations between farm and agrarian sustainability?“, “which are the critical factors of sustainability of farming enterprises?”, “which are the governing mechanisms and forms for farms sustainability?”, “how to select the most-efficient forms for governing of farms sustainability?”, and “how to evaluate the sustainability level of farming enterprises” in a dynamic world, where hardly there is anything actually “sustainable. This paper tries to give answer to all these questions. First, evolution of the “concept” of sustainability of farming enterprises is initially analyzed and discussed. On that base is suggested adequate definition of farming enterprise’ sustainability as ability of a particular farm to maintain its governance, economic, social and ecological functions in a long term. After that principle mechanisms and modes of governance of sustainability of farming enterprise are specified, including institutional environment, market, private, collective, public and hybrid modes. Following applicable for the contemporary conditions of the development of Bulgarian agriculture framework for assessing the farm sustainability level is suggested. The later includes a system of appropriate principles, criteria, indicators, and reference values, which characterize the governance, economic, ecological and social aspects of farms sustainability as well as approach for their integration and interpretation. Finally, a framework for analyzing and assessing the efficiency of the individual components and the entire system of governance for farm enterprise’ sustainability is suggested. Ultimate objective of this study is to discuss and experiment efficiency of suggested framework, and after improving it to suggest it for a wider use in farm and agri-business management, and improvement of policies and modes of public intervention in agrarian sector.
Volume (Year): 3 (2016)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Istanbul, Turkey|
Web page: http://www.kspjournals.org
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barrett, Christopher B., 1996. "Fairness, stewardship and sustainable development," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 11-17, October.
- Hrabrin Bachev, 2013. "Risk Management in the Agri-food Sector," Contemporary Economics, University of Finance and Management in Warsaw, vol. 7(1), March.
- Hrabrin Bachev, 2009.
"Mechanisms Of Governance Of Sustainble Development,"
Journal of Applied Economic Sciences,
Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Financial Management and Accounting Craiova, vol. 4(2(8)_ Sum).
- Bachev, Hrabrin, 2009. "Mechanisms of Governance of Sustainable Development," MPRA Paper 14947, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Karl Zimmerer, 2007. "Agriculture, livelihoods, and globalization: The analysis of new trajectories (and avoidance of just-so stories) of human-environment change and conservation," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer;The Agriculture, Food, & Human Values Society (AFHVS), vol. 24(1), pages 9-16, March.
- Hansen, J. W., 1996. "Is agricultural sustainability a useful concept?," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 117-143. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ksp:journ4:v:3:y:2016:i:2:p:161-201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bilal KARGI)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.