An Approach to Assess Sustainability of Agricultural Farms
This paper gives an answer to important questions such as: “what is sustainability of farms?” and “how to assess sustainability of farms?”. First, evolution of the “concept” and the major approaches for assessing sustainability of farms is discussed. More adequate definition of the farm sustainability is suggested as ability of a particular farm to maintain its governance, economic, social and ecological functions in a long term. Next, a specific for the conditions of Bulgarian farms framework for assessing farm sustainability is proposed. The later includes a system of appropriate principles, criteria, indicators, and reference values for evaluating governance, economic, ecological and social aspects of farms sustainability as well as an approach for their integration and interpretation. The ultimate objective of this study is to work out an effective framework for assessing sustainability of farms in the specific economic, institutional and natural environment of farms of different types and location, assist farm management and strategies, and agricultural policies and forms of public intervention in agriculture.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hrabrin Bachev, 2011.
"Needs, Modes and Efficiency of Economic Organizations and Public Interventions in Agriculture,"
Review of Economics & Finance,
Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 1, pages 89-103, June.
- Bachev, Hrabrin, 2010. "Needs, Modes and Efficiency of Economic Organizations and Public Interventions in Agriculture," MPRA Paper 25979, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hendricks, Nathan P., 2010. "The Effect of Green Payments on the Diffusion of Conservation Technologies," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61780, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Hrabrin Bachev, 2013. "Risk Management in the Agri-food Sector," Contemporary Economics, University of Finance and Management in Warsaw, vol. 7(1), March.
- Hrabrin Ianouchev BACHEV, 2016. "What is Sustainability of Farms?," Journal of Economic and Social Thought, KSP Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 35-48, March.
- Bachev, Hrabrin, 2015. "What is Sustainability of Farms?," MPRA Paper 68434, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hansen, J. W., 1996. "Is agricultural sustainability a useful concept?," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 117-143. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ksp:journ2:v:3:y:2016:i:1:p:28-53. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bilal KARGI)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.