Defining and Assessment of Sustainability of Farms
The issue of assessment of farms sustainability is among the most discussed among researchers, farmers, investors, politicians, interests groups and public at large. Despite the significant development of the theory and practice in that new area still there is no common understanding on „what is farm sustainability?“, „what is the relation between farm and agrarian sustainability?“, “which are critical factors of farms sustainability?”, and „how to assess farms sustainability level?“. This article tries to give answer to all these questions, as the evolution of the “concept” of farm sustainability is initially analyzed and discussed. On that base is suggested adequate definition of farm sustainability as ability of a particular farm to maintain its governance, economic, social and ecological functions in a long term. After that applicable for the contemporary conditions of the development of Bulgarian farms framework for assessing the farm sustainability level is suggested. The later includes a system of appropriate principles, criteria, indicators, and reference values, which characterize the governance, economic, ecological and social aspects of farms sustainability as well as approach for their integration and interpretation. The goal is to test the efficiency of this framework, and after that to apply it for the assessment of sustainability level of farms during the new program period of EU CAP implementation in Bulgaria.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): (2016)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3, Aksakov Str., 1040, Sofia|
Phone: (+359 2) 810 40 18
Fax: (+359 2) 988 21 08
Web page: http://www.iki.bas.bg
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bachev, Hrabrin Ianouchev, 2005.
"Assessment of Sustainability of Bulgarian Farms,"
2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark
24739, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hrabrin Bachev, 2005. "Assessment Of Sustainability Of Bulgarian Farms," Development and Comp Systems 0511007, EconWPA.
- Hrabrin Bachev, 2013. "Risk Management in the Agri-food Sector," Contemporary Economics, University of Finance and Management in Warsaw, vol. 7(1), March.
- Hrabrin Bachev, 2009. "Mechanisms Of Governance Of Sustainble Development," Journal of Applied Economic Sciences, Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Financial Management and Accounting Craiova, vol. 4(2(8)_ Sum).
- Bachev, Hrabrin, 2009. "Mechanisms of Governance of Sustainable Development," MPRA Paper 14947, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hansen, J. W., 1996. "Is agricultural sustainability a useful concept?," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 117-143.
- Bachev, Hrabrin, 2008. "Environmental management in Bulgarian agriculture," MPRA Paper 7769, University Library of Munich, Germany. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bas:econst:y:2016:i:3:p:158-188. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diana Dimitrova)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.