Ethical Duties of Organizational Citizens: Obligations Owed by Highly Committed Employees
Individuals who demonstrate organizational citizenship behavior (OCB) contribute to their organization’s ability to create wealth, but they also owe their organizations a complex set of ethical duties. Although, the academic literature has begun to address the ethical duties owed by organizational leaders to organizational citizens, very little has been written about the duties owed by those who practice OCB to their organizations. In this article, we identify an array of ethical duties owed by those who engage in extra-role behavior and describe those duties in context with personality theory. We suggest that employees who understand the complex nature of OCB and the associated duties they owe to others are more likely to reach their potential and make greater contributions within their organizations. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2012
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cam Caldwell, 2011. "Duties Owed to Organizational Citizens – Ethical Insights for Today’s Leader," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 102(3), pages 343-356, September.
- Jeffrey Pfeffer, 2007. "Human Resources from an Organizational Behavior Perspective: Some Paradoxes Explained," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 21(4), pages 115-134, Fall.
- Josh Gullett & Loc Do & Maria Canuto-Carranco & Mark Brister & Shundricka Turner & Cam Caldwell, 2009. "The Buyer–Supplier Relationship: An Integrative Model of Ethics and Trust," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 90(3), pages 329-341, December.
- Cam Caldwell & Rolf Dixon & Ryan Atkins & Stefan Dowdell, 2011. "Repentance and Continuous Improvement: Ethical Implications for the Modern Leader," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 102(3), pages 473-487, September.
- Isabelle Huault & V. Perret & S. Charreire-Petit, 2007. "Management," Post-Print halshs-00337676, HAL.
- Chieh-Peng Lin & Nyan-Myau Lyau & Yuan-Hui Tsai & Wen-Yung Chen & Chou-Kang Chiu, 2010. "Modeling Corporate Citizenship and Its Relationship with Organizational Citizenship Behaviors," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 95(3), pages 357-372, September.
- Alicia Leung, 2008. "Matching Ethical Work Climate to In-role and Extra-role Behaviors in a Collectivist Work Setting," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 79(1), pages 43-55, April.
- TomÃ¡s GonzÃ¡lez & Manuel GuillÃ©n, 2008. "Organizational Commitment: A Proposal for a Wider Ethical Conceptualization of â€˜Normative Commitmentâ€™," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 78(3), pages 401-414, March.
- W. Edwards Deming, 2000. "Out of the Crisis," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262541157, June.
- Cam Caldwell & Linda Hayes & Do Long, 2010. "Leadership, Trustworthiness, and Ethical Stewardship," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 96(4), pages 497-512, November.
- Cam Caldwell & Mark Hansen, 2010. "Trustworthiness, Governance, and Wealth Creation," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 97(2), pages 173-188, December.
- Simon Lloyd D. Restubog & Matthew J. Hornsey & Prashant Bordia & Sarah R. Esposo, 2008. "Effects of Psychological Contract Breach on Organizational Citizenship Behaviour: Insights from the Group Value Model," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(8), pages 1377-1400, December.
- Jackie Coyle-Shapiro, 2000. "Consequences Of The Psychological Contract For The Employment Relationship: A Large Scale Survey," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(7), pages 903-930, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jbuset:v:110:y:2012:i:3:p:285-299. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.