Environment, Asset Characteristics, and Optimal Effluent Fees
This article investigates theissue of optimal effluent fees in a frameworkwhere waste emissions are abated by investingin capital of which the pay-off is uncertainand the cost is fully sunk. The stock of wasteemissions harms an individual firm'sproduction, but the firm will underestimatethis external effect upon investing. Consequently, the firm will invest lesscapital, and thereby, pollute more than issocially desirable. The regulator, who can useeffluent fees to correct this, should imposelower effluent fees on irreversible investmentsthan on costlessly reversible ones whenuncertainty arises. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2001
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 20 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bovenberg, A.L. & Smulders, J.A., 1993.
"Environmental quality and pollution-saving technological change in a two-sector endogenous growth model,"
1993-21, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bovenberg, A.L. & Smulders, S., 1993. "Environmental Quality and Pollution-Saving Technological Change in Two- Sector Endogenous Growth Model," Papers 9321, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Oates, Wallace E, 1992. "Environmental Economics: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 675-740, June.
- Anastasios Xepapadeas, 1999.
"Environmental Policy and Firm Behavior: Abatement Investment and Location Decisions Under Uncertainty and Irreversibility,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0243, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anastasios Xepapadeas, 2001. "Environmental Policy and Firm Behavior: Abatement Investment and Location Decisions under Uncertainty and Irreversibility," NBER Chapters, in: Behavioral and Distributional Effects of Environmental Policy, pages 281-308 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glazer, Amihai, 1997.
"Inducing investments and regulating externalities by command versus taxes,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 255-257, February.
- Glazer, Amihai, 1997. "Inducing investments and regulating externalities by command versus taxes," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt1dc291j6, University of California Transportation Center.
- Glazer, Amihai, 1997. "Inducing investments and regulating externalities by command versus taxes," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt4hx0h53n, University of California Transportation Center.
- Farzin, Y. H., 1996. "Optimal pricing of environmental and natural resource use with stock externalities," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 31-57, October.
- Gérard Gaudet & Pierre Lasserre & Ngo Van Long, 1999.
"Real Investment Decisions Under Adjustment Costs and Asymmetric Information,"
Cahiers de recherche du Département des sciences économiques, UQAM
9908, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
- Gaudet, Gerard & Lasserre, Pierre & Van Long, Ngo, 1998. "Real investment decisions under adjustment costs and asymmetric information," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 71-95, September.
- Roberts, Marc J. & Spence, Michael, 1976. "Effluent charges and licenses under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3-4), pages 193-208.
- Kongsted, Hans Christian, 1996. "Entry and exit decisions under uncertainty: The limiting deterministic case," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 77-82, April.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1998.
"Irreversibilities and the timing of environmental policy,"
WP 4047-98., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 2000. "Irreversibilities and the timing of environmental policy," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 233-259, July.
- Kort, P.M., 1996. "Pollution control and the dynamics of the firm : The effects of market based instruments on optimal firm investments," Other publications TiSEM 5cae0640-791b-4377-9f03-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Eberly, Janice C. & Van Mieghem, Jan A., 1997. "Multi-factor Dynamic Investment under Uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 345-387, August.
- Sergio Rebelo, 1999.
"Long Run Policy Analysis and Long Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2114, David K. Levine.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1997. "Investment and Employment Dynamics in the Short Run and the Long Run," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(1), pages 1-20, January.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1991. "Irreversible Investment with Price Ceilings," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 541-57, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K. & Pindyck, Robert S. & Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research., 2003.
"Expandability, reversibility, and optimal capacity choice,"
97-006WP., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Avinash K. Dixit & Robert S. Pindyck, 1998. "Expandability, Reversibility, and Optimal Capacity Choice," NBER Working Papers 6373, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caballero, Ricardo J., 1999.
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 813-862
- Bovenberg, A.L. & de Mooij, R.A., 1997.
"Environmental tax reforms and endogenous growth,"
Other publications TiSEM
87a3194a-0d1c-4e5b-83df-6, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Baldursson, Fridrik M., 1998. "Irreversible investment under uncertainty in oligopoly," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 627-644, April.
- Bertola, Guiseppe & Caballero, Ricardo J, 1994.
"Irreversibility and Aggregate Investment,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 223-46, April.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-72142 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kolstad, Charles D., 1996. "Learning and Stock Effects in Environmental Regulation: The Case of Greenhouse Gas Emissions," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 1-18, July.
- Smulders, J.A. & Gradus, R.H.J.M., 1993.
"The trade-off between environmental care and long-term growth : Pollution in three proto-type growth models,"
Other publications TiSEM
f3ec6de7-f996-4ac0-b872-0, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Raymond Gradus & Sjak Smulders, 1993. "The trade-off between environmental care and long-term growth—Pollution in three prototype growth models," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 25-51, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:20:y:2001:i:1:p:27-39. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.