Disability Insurance Denial Rates and the Labor Force Participation of Older Men and Women in Canada
We examine the effect of denial rates from the Canada/Quebec Pension Plan (C/QPP) disability program on the labor force participation of older men and women in Canada. Our study uses data from a period in which there was a change in CPP disability adjudication requirements, which also varied by province, but no change in the QPP disability program requirements. This created variation in the CPP disability program’s denial rates. The estimates from our preferred specifications indicate that denial rates do not have the expected statistically significant negative effect on the participation decisions of older men or women. These findings may be the result of a change in the applicant pool for disability benefits. Copyright International Atlantic Economic Society 2007
Volume (Year): 35 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:Suite 650, International Tower, 229 Peachtree Street, N.E., Atlanta, GA 30303
Phone: (404) 965-1555
Fax: (404) 965-1556
Web page: http://www.iaes.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/11293/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kreider, Brent & Riphahn, Regina T., 1998. "Applications to the U.S. Disability System: A Semiparametric Approach for Men and Women," IZA Discussion Papers 17, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Moulton, Brent R, 1990. "An Illustration of a Pitfall in Estimating the Effects of Aggregate Variables on Micro Unit," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 334-38, May.
- Kreider, Brent, 1999.
"Social Security Disability Insurance: Applications, Awards, and Lifetime Income Flows,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
5188, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kreider, Brent, 1999. "Social Security Disability Insurance: Applications, Awards, and Lifetime Income Flows," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(4), pages 784-827, October.
- Brent Kreider & Regina T. Riphahn, 2000. "Explaining Applications to the U.S. Disability System: A Semiparametric Approach," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 35(1), pages 82-115.
- Bound, John & Burkhauser, Richard V., 1999. "Economic analysis of transfer programs targeted on people with disabilities," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 51, pages 3417-3528 Elsevier.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:10:y:2003:i:3:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2003. "Cluster-Sample Methods in Applied Econometrics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 133-138, May.
- Stephen G. Donald & Kevin Lang, 2007. "Inference with Difference-in-Differences and Other Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(2), pages 221-233, May.
- Jonathan Gruber & Jeffrey D. Kubik, 1994. "Disability Insurance Rejection Rates and the Labor Supply of Older Workers," NBER Working Papers 4941, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Halpern, Janice & Hausman, Jerry A., 1986.
"Choice under uncertainty: A model of applications for the social security disability insurance program,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 131-161, November.
- Janice Halpern & Jerry A. Hausman, 1985. "Choice Under Uncertainty: A Model of Applications for the Social Security Disability Insurance Program," NBER Working Papers 1690, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gruber, Jonathan & Kubik, Jeffrey D., 1997. "Disability insurance rejection rates and the labor supply of older workers," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 1-23, April.
- Denis Bolduc & Bernard Fortin & France Labrecque & DPaul Lanoie, 2002. "Workers' Compensation, Moral Hazard and the Composition of Workplace Injuries," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 37(3), pages 623-652.
- Michele Campolieti, 2001. "Disability Insurance and the Labour Force Participation of Older Men and Women in Canada," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 27(2), pages 179-194, June.
- Parsons, Donald O, 1991. "Self-Screening in Targeted Public Transfer Programs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 859-76, August.
- Michele Campolieti, 2004. "Disability Insurance Benefits and Labor Supply: Some Additional Evidence," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(4), pages 863-890, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:atlecj:v:35:y:2007:i:1:p:59-75. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.