Disability Insurance Benefits and Labor Supply: Some Additional Evidence
This article examines the effects of a change in the Canada/Quebec Pension Plan (C/QPP) disability benefits on the labor supply of older Canadian workers. I obtain my estimates by exploiting a large increase in benefits that only occurred in the QPP program, which only operates in Quebec, while benefits in the CPP program, which operates in the rest of Canada, were unaffected. Unlike the existing estimates from the United States, as well as earlier Canadian obtained by Gruber, I find that disability benefits are not associated with a large increase in the nonparticipation of older men.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David H. Autor & Mark G. Duggan, 2003. "The Rise in the Disability Rolls and the Decline in Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 118(1), pages 157-206.
- Robert Haveman & Philip de Jong & Barbara Wolfe, 1991. "Disability Transfers and the Work Decision of Older Men," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(3), pages 939-949.
- Jonathan Gruber, 2000.
"Disability Insurance Benefits and Labor Supply,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(6), pages 1162-1183, December.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2003. "Cluster-Sample Methods in Applied Econometrics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 133-138, May.
- Loeb, Susanna & Bound, John, 1996.
"The Effect of Measured School Inputs on Academic Achievement: Evidence form the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s Birth Cohorts,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(4), pages 653-664, November.
- Susanna Loeb & John Bound, 1995. "The Effect of Measured School Inputs on Academic Achievement: Evidence from the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s Birth Cohorts," NBER Working Papers 5331, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Baker & Nicole M. Fortin, 1999.
"Occupational Gender Composition and Wages in Canada: 1987-1988,"
NBER Working Papers
7371, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Baker & Nicole M. Fortin, 2001. "Occupational gender composition and wages in Canada, 1987-1988," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 34(2), pages 345-376, May.
- Michael Baker & Nicole M. Fortin, 2000. "Occupational Gender Composition and Wages in Canada: 1987-1988," CIRANO Working Papers 2000s-48, CIRANO.
- Michael Baker & Nicole M. Fortin, 2000. "Occupational Gender Composition and Wages in Canada: 1987-1988," Working Papers baker-00-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Denis Bolduc & Bernard Fortin & France Labrecque & DPaul Lanoie, 2002. "Workers' Compensation, Moral Hazard and the Composition of Workplace Injuries," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 37(3), pages 623-652.
- Parsons, Donald O, 1980. "The Decline in Male Labor Force Participation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 117-134, February.
- Bound, John, 1989.
"The Health and Earnings of Rejected Disability Insurance Applicants,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 482-503, June.
- John Bound, 1989. "The Health and Earnings of Rejected Disability Insurance Applicants," NBER Working Papers 2816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Staten, Michael E & Umbeck, John, 1982. "Information Costs and Incentives to Shirk: Disability Compensation of Air Traffic Controllers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1023-1037, December.
- Moulton, Brent R, 1990. "An Illustration of a Pitfall in Estimating the Effects of Aggregate Variables on Micro Unit," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 334-338, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:jlabec:v:22:y:2004:i:4:p:863-890. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.