Geostatistical Air Pollution Indexes in Spatial Hedonic Models: The case of Madrid, Spain
Recent work has shown how spatial econometrics can be applied to a housingvalue hedonic equation that includes air pollution variables. In this paper we propose a Spatial Durbin Model that incorporates an Air Pollution Index, instead of one or two pollution variables, and considers spatial and non-spatial endogeneity jointly. We do, however, assume both possibilities for the index: exogenous and endogenous. Unlike most empirical studies in the literature, we have focused our empirical analysis on a European city, Madrid. In order to do so, we constructed a massive data base in 2009 that includes almost 12,000 dwellings.
Volume (Year): 34 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jose M. Montero & Beatriz Larraz, 2011. "Interpolation methods for geographical data: Housing and commercial establishment markets," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 33(2), pages 233-244.
- Göran Therborn & K.C. Ho, 2009. "Introduction," City, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 53-62, March.
- Robert A. Simons & Jesse D. Saginor, 2006. "A Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Environmental Contamination and Positive Amenities on Residential Real Estate Values," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 28(1), pages 71-104.
- Richard C. Ready, 2010. "Do Landfills Always Depress Nearby Property Values?," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 32(3), pages 321-340.
- Kim, Chong Won & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 1998.
"Measuring The Benefits Of Air Quality Improvement: A Spatial Hedonic Approach,"
1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT
20959, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Won Kim, Chong & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 2003. "Measuring the benefits of air quality improvement: a spatial hedonic approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 24-39, January.
- J. Barkley Rosser, 2009. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Handbook of Research on Complexity, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997.
"Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," NBER Technical Working Papers 0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Straszheim, Mahlon R, 1974. "Hedonic Estimation of Housing Market Prices: A Further Comment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(3), pages 404-06, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:34:n:2:2012:p:243-274. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.