Do Landfills Always Depress Nearby Property Values?
All available hedonic pricing estimates of the impact of landfills on nearby property values are assembled, including original estimates for three landfills in Pennsylvania. A meta-analysis shows landfills that accept high volumes of waste (500 tons per day or more) decrease adjacent residential property values by 13.7%, on average. This impact diminishes with distance at a gradient of 5.9% per mile. Lower-volume landfills decrease adjacent property values by 2.7%, on average, with a gradient of 1.3% per mile. While essentially all high-volume landfills negatively impact nearby property values, 20-26% of low-volume landfills do not impact nearby property values.
Volume (Year): 32 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hite, Diane & Chern, Wen & Hitzhusen, Fred & Randall, Alan, 2001. "Property-Value Impacts of an Environmental Disamenity: The Case of Landfills," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2-3), pages 185-202, March-May.
- Farber, Stephen, 1998. "Undesirable facilities and property values: a summary of empirical studies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Diane Hite, 1998.
"Information and Bargaining in Markets for Environmental Quality,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 74(3), pages 303-316.
- Diane Hite, 1997. "Information and Bargaining in Markets for Environmental Quality," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 73(3), pages 303-316.
- Wang, Ko & Grissom, Terry V. & Webb, James R. & Spellman, Lewis, 1991. "The impact of rental properties on the value of single-family residences," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 152-166, September.
- Jong Seok Lim & Paul Missios, 2007. "Does size really matter? Landfill scale impacts on property values," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(10), pages 719-723.
- Lim, Jong Seok & Missios, Paul, 2005. "Does Size Really Matter? Landfill Scale Impacts on Property Values," MPRA Paper 70809, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robert A. Simons & William Bowen & Arthur Sementell, 1997. "The Effect of Underground Storage Tanks on Residential Property Values in Cuyahoga County, Ohio," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 14(1), pages 29-42.
- Gerald E. Smolen & Gary Moore & Lawrence V. Conway, 1992. "Economic Effects of Hazardous Chemical and Proposed Radioactive Waste Landfills on Surrounding Real Estate Values," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 7(3), pages 283-296.
- Mark Thayer & Heidi Albers & Morteza Rahmatian, 1992. "The Benefits of Reducing Exposure to Waste Disposal Sites: A Hedonic Housing Value Approach," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 7(3), pages 265-282.
- Jon P. Nelson, 2004. "Meta-Analysis of Airport Noise and Hedonic Property Values," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 38(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Alan K. Reichert & Michael Small & Sunil Mohanty, 1992. "The Impact of Landfills on Residential Property Values," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 7(3), pages 297-314.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Robert A. Simons & Jesse D. Saginor, 2006. "A Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Environmental Contamination and Positive Amenities on Residential Real Estate Values," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 28(1), pages 71-104. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)