House Values and Proximity to a Landfill: A Quantile Regression Framework
This paper explores the quantile treatment effects of proximity to a landfill site on housing values in the Nelson Mandela Bay Metropole (NMBM), South Africa, extending the research by Du Preez and Lottering (2009) who found a negative relationship to exist between proximity to a landfill site and mean housing values. Quantile regression analysis is used to account for the different implicit price functions that ‘wealthier’ and ‘poorer’ representative agents face. The results corroborate the findings of Du Preez and Lottering (2009) and further identify the negative relationship to be most pronounced at the lowest and highest quantiles of the house values distribution. Specifically, house values increase by an average of ZAR19 or US$1.81 (0.2 percent) for every 100 meters further away from the landfill site. At the lowest quantile (5 percent) house values increase by only 0.11 percent with every 100 meters of distance from the landfill site while at the highest quantile (95 percent), house values increase by 0,21 percent. This clearly demonstrates that ‘wealthier’ representative agents stand to gain more by being situated further away from landfill sites than ‘poorer’ representative agents. The suitability of the quantile treatment approach is confirmed by way of the Koenker and Xiao (2002) Location- Scale-Shift test statistics.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 90 (392) 630-1291|
Fax: 90 (392) 365-1017
Web page: http://economics.emu.edu.tr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hite, Diane & Chern, Wen & Hitzhusen, Fred & Randall, Alan, 2001. "Property-Value Impacts of an Environmental Disamenity: The Case of Landfills," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2-3), pages 185-202, March-May.
- Diane Hite, 1998.
"Information and Bargaining in Markets for Environmental Quality,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 74(3), pages 303-316.
- Diane Hite, 1997. "Information and Bargaining in Markets for Environmental Quality," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 73(3), pages 303-316.
- Jong Seok Lim & Paul Missios, 2007. "Does size really matter? Landfill scale impacts on property values," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(10), pages 719-723.
- Lim, Jong Seok & Missios, Paul, 2005. "Does Size Really Matter? Landfill Scale Impacts on Property Values," MPRA Paper 70809, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Richard C. Ready, 2010. "Do Landfills Always Depress Nearby Property Values?," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 32(3), pages 321-340.
- Arthur C. Nelson & John Genereux & Michelle Genereux, 1992. "Price Effects of Landfills on House Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(4), pages 359-365.
- Baker, Brian P., 1982. "Land Values Surrounding Waste Disposal Factilities," EB Series 184876, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Mark Thayer & Heidi Albers & Morteza Rahmatian, 1992. "The Benefits of Reducing Exposure to Waste Disposal Sites: A Hedonic Housing Value Approach," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 7(3), pages 265-282.
- Joachim Zietz & Emily Zietz & G. Sirmans, 2008. "Determinants of House Prices: A Quantile Regression Approach," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 317-333, November.
- Joachim Zietz & Emily N. Zietz & G. Stacy Sirmans., 2007. "Determinants of House Prices: A Quantile Regression Approach," Working Papers 200706, Middle Tennessee State University, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Moshe Buchinsky, 1998. "The dynamics of changes in the female wage distribution in the USA: a quantile regression approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 1-30.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Bouvier, Rachel A. & Halstead, John M. & Conway, Karen S. & Manalo, Alberto B., 2000. "The Effects of Landfills on Rural Residential Property Values: Some Empirical Evidence," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 30(2).
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Linneman, Peter, 1981. "The demand for residence site characteristics," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 129-148, March.
- Roger Koenker & Zhijie Xiao, 2002. "Inference on the Quantile Regression Process," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1583-1612, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:emu:wpaper:15-16.pdf. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mehmet Balcilar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.