Hazardous waste sites and housing appreciation rates
The dynamic effect of a hazardous waste site is analyzed by investigating the causal relationship between housing appreciation rates and house location in relation to a hazardous waste site using resale data from individual sales transactions in Dallas County, Texas. The results indicate that in the period in which the hazardous waste site was identified and cleanup occurred, residential property owners in close proximity to the hazardous waste site experienced lower housing appreciation rates. In the first post-cleanup period, they gained some of the lost ground with a higher appreciation rate. In a subsequent post-cleanup period, their appreciation fell in line with property owners whose properties are located farther away from the hazardous waste site. This suggests that a long-run equilibrium has been reached since appreciation rates were not significantly different across the Dallas housing market in the second post-cleanup period. Although the results indicate that adjustment takes time, an equilibrium is eventually reached for the houses in this repeat sales data set. An important implication of our analysis is that since the post-cleanup recovery was not immediate, property owners should be compensated for their loss of liquidity.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (510) 642-3345
Fax: (510) 643-8911
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/are_ucb/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kohlhase, Janet E., 1991. "The impact of toxic waste sites on housing values," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 1-26, July.
- McCluskey, Jill & Rausser, Gordon C., 2000.
"Estimation of perceived risk and its effect on property values,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt46x0r71b, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Jill J. McCluskey & Gordon C. Rausser, 2001. "Estimation of Perceived Risk and Its Effect on Property Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 77(1), pages 42-55.
- McCluskey, Jill Jennifer & Rausser, Gordon C, 2000. "Estimation of perceived risk and its effect on property values," CUDARE Working Paper Series 879R, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Palmquist, Raymond B., 1982. "Measuring environmental effects on property values without hedonic regressions," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 333-347, May.
- Mendelsohn, Robert & Hellerstein, Daniel & Huguenin, Michael & Unsworth, Robert & Brazee, Richard, 1992. "Measuring hazardous waste damages with panel models," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 259-271, May.
- Farber, Stephen, 1998. "Undesirable facilities and property values: a summary of empirical studies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Katherine A. Kiel, 1995. "Measuring the Impact of the Discovery and Cleaning of Identified Hazardous Waste Sites on House Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 71(4), pages 428-435.
- Larry Dale & James C. Murdoch & Mark A. Thayer & Paul A. Waddell, 1999. "Do Property Values Rebound from Environmental Stigmas? Evidence from Dallas," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(2), pages 311-326.
- Gerald E. Smolen & Gary Moore & Lawrence V. Conway, 1992. "Economic Effects of Hazardous Chemical and Proposed Radioactive Waste Landfills on Surrounding Real Estate Values," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 7(3), pages 283-296.
- Theodore M. Crone & Richard P. Voith, 1992.
"Estimating house price appreciation: a comparison of methods,"
92-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Crone, Theodore M. & Voith, Richard P., 1992. "Estimating house price appreciation: A comparison of methods," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 324-338, December.
- Arthur C. Nelson & John Genereux & Michelle Genereux, 1992. "Price Effects of Landfills on House Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(4), pages 359-365.
- Alan K. Reichert & Michael Small & Sunil Mohanty, 1992. "The Impact of Landfills on Residential Property Values," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 7(3), pages 297-314.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:agrebk:qt0z9156qx. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.