Living with Hogs in Iowa: The Impact of Livestock Facilities on Rural Residential Property Values
We estimated a hedonic model to explain variations in residential sales price with standard house attributes, such as number of bedrooms and square feet of living space, as well as the effects of distance and density of livestock feeding operations. We find that livestock operations have an overall statistically significant effect on property values. Predicted negative effects are largest for properties that are downwind and close to livestock operations. In addition, feeding operations that are moderate in size have more impact than do largescale operations, most likely reflecting age, type, and management practices of the moderate-sized operations.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ready, Richard C. & Abdalla, Charles W., 2003. "The Amenity And Disamenity Impacts Of Agriculture: Estimates From A Hedonic Pricing Model In Southeastern Pennsylvania," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22196, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jill J. McCluskey & Gordon C. Rausser, 2001.
"Estimation of Perceived Risk and Its Effect on Property Values,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 77(1), pages 42-55.
- McCluskey, Jill Jennifer & Rausser, Gordon C, 2000. "Estimation of perceived risk and its effect on property values," CUDARE Working Paper Series 879R, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- McCluskey, Jill & Rausser, Gordon C., 2000. "Estimation of perceived risk and its effect on property values," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt46x0r71b, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Mark Thayer & Heidi Albers & Morteza Rahmatian, 1992. "The Benefits of Reducing Exposure to Waste Disposal Sites: A Hedonic Housing Value Approach," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 7(3), pages 265-282.
- Kiel Katherine A. & McClain Katherine T., 1995. "House Prices during Siting Decision Stages: The Case of an Incinerator from Rumor through Operation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 241-255, March.
- Alan K. Reichert & Michael Small & Sunil Mohanty, 1992. "The Impact of Landfills on Residential Property Values," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 7(3), pages 297-314.
- Raymond B. Palmquist & Fritz M. Roka & Tomislav Vukina, 1997.
"Hog Operations, Environmental Effects, and Residential Property Values,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 73(1), pages 114-124.
- Raymond B. Palmquist & Fritz M. Roka & Tomislav Vukina, . "Hog Operations, Environmental Effects, and Residential Property Values," Working Paper Series 12, North Carolina State University, Department of Economics.
- Farber, Stephen, 1998. "Undesirable facilities and property values: a summary of empirical studies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Smith, V Kerry & Huang, Ju-Chin, 1995. "Can Markets Value Air Quality? A Meta-analysis of Hedonic Property Value Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(1), pages 209-27, February.
- Abeles-Allison, Mark & Connor, Larry J., 1990. "An Analysis of Local Benefits and Costs of Michigan Hog Operations Experiencing Environmental Conflicts," Agricultural Economic Report Series 201396, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Kohlhase, Janet E., 1991. "The impact of toxic waste sites on housing values," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 1-26, July.
- Smith, V Kerry & Desvousges, William H, 1986. "The Value of Avoiding a Lulu: Hazardous Waste Disposal Sites," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 293-99, May.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Taff, Steven J. & Tiffany, Douglas G. & Weisberg, Sanford, 1996. "Measured Effects Of Feedlots On Residential Property Values In Minnesota: A Report To The Legislature," Staff Papers 14121, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Katherine A. Kiel, 1995. "Measuring the Impact of the Discovery and Cleaning of Identified Hazardous Waste Sites on House Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 71(4), pages 428-435.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:81:y:2005:i:4:p530-545. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.