Living with Hogs in Iowa: The Impact of Livestock Facilities on Rural Residential Property Values
To better understand the magnitude of the effects of livestock feeding operations on residential property values, we constructed a new dataset that merges data on home sales with data on the location and size of livestock feeding operations in five rural counties of Iowa. We estimated a hedonic model to explain variations in residential sales price with standard house attributes, such as number of bedrooms and square feet of living space, as well as the effects of distance and density of livestock feeding operation. We find that livestock operations have an overall statistically significant effect on property values. Predicted negative effects are largest for properties that are downwind and close to livestock operations. In addition, feeding operations that are moderate in size have more impact than do large-scale operations, most likely reflecting age, type, and management practices of the moderate-sized operations. The limited size of the estimated effects suggest that common sense rulesâ€”such as not locating feeding operations close to and upwind of residencesâ€”combined with modest compensatory payments could help rural residences co-exist with modern feeding operations.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (515) 294-1183
Fax: (515) 294-6336
Web page: http://www.card.iastate.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McCluskey, Jill & Rausser, Gordon C., 2000.
"Estimation of perceived risk and its effect on property values,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt46x0r71b, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Jill J. McCluskey & Gordon C. Rausser, 2001. "Estimation of Perceived Risk and Its Effect on Property Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 77(1), pages 42-55.
- McCluskey, Jill Jennifer & Rausser, Gordon C, 2000. "Estimation of perceived risk and its effect on property values," CUDARE Working Paper Series 879R, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Smith, V Kerry & Desvousges, William H, 1986. "The Value of Avoiding a Lulu: Hazardous Waste Disposal Sites," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 293-99, May.
- Kiel Katherine A. & McClain Katherine T., 1995. "House Prices during Siting Decision Stages: The Case of an Incinerator from Rumor through Operation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 241-255, March.
- Mark Thayer & Heidi Albers & Morteza Rahmatian, 1992. "The Benefits of Reducing Exposure to Waste Disposal Sites: A Hedonic Housing Value Approach," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 7(3), pages 265-282.
- Raymond B. Palmquist & Fritz M. Roka & Tomislav Vukina, 1997. "Hog Operations, Environmental Effects, and Residential Property Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 73(1), pages 114-124.
- Katherine A. Kiel, 1995. "Measuring the Impact of the Discovery and Cleaning of Identified Hazardous Waste Sites on House Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 71(4), pages 428-435.
- Smith, V Kerry & Huang, Ju-Chin, 1995. "Can Markets Value Air Quality? A Meta-analysis of Hedonic Property Value Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(1), pages 209-27, February.
- Taff, Steven J. & Tiffany, Douglas G. & Weisberg, Sanford, 1996. "Measured Effects Of Feedlots On Residential Property Values In Minnesota: A Report To The Legislature," Staff Papers 14121, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Farber, Stephen, 1998. "Undesirable facilities and property values: a summary of empirical studies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Ready, Richard C. & Abdalla, Charles W., 2003. "The Amenity And Disamenity Impacts Of Agriculture: Estimates From A Hedonic Pricing Model In Southeastern Pennsylvania," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22196, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Kohlhase, Janet E., 1991. "The impact of toxic waste sites on housing values," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 1-26, July.
- Alan K. Reichert & Michael Small & Sunil Mohanty, 1992. "The Impact of Landfills on Residential Property Values," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 7(3), pages 297-314.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ias:cpaper:03-wp342. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.