Searching for the Concentration-Price Effect in the German Movie Theater Industry
The empirical relationship between market concentration and prices has been well established for a long time and for numerous industries. Recently itwas confirmed for the USmovie theater industry. This paper investigates, whether such a price-concentration relationship can be found on local cinema markets in Germany as well, focusing on up-to-date mainstream movies. First, we develop a model of monopolistic pricing and estimate its parameters using data of monopoly markets from a new set of German micro data. Then we apply the estimated model to simulate monopoly prices on local markets with two or more operators and compare them to the prices actually observed in these markets. We find no significant difference in admission prices, which puts our study in contrast to the results found on local US markets. Searching for an explanation, we test whether movie theater operators even though being located in the same geographic area, are local monopolists, but find no hint of that, either.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 231 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Darren Filson & David Switzer & Portia Besocke, 2005. "At the Movies: The Economics of Exhibition Contracts," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 43(2), pages 354-369, April.
- Brewer III, Elijah & Jackson III, William E., 2006. "A note on the "risk-adjusted" price-concentration relationship in banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1041-1054, March.
- Singal, Vijay, 1996. "Airline Mergers and Competition: An Integration of Stock and Product Price Effects," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69(2), pages 233-68, April.
- Severin Borenstein, 1989. "Hubs and High Fares: Dominance and Market Power in the U.S. Airline Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 20(3), pages 344-365, Autumn.
- Orietta DESSY & Marco GAMBARO, 2009.
"Demand for movies in Europe and the effects of multiplex diffusion: a panel approach,"
Departmental Working Papers
2009-03, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Orietta DESSY & Marco GAMBARO, 2008. "Demand for movies in Europe and the effects of multiplex diffusion: a panel approach," Departmental Working Papers 2008-25, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Borenstein, Severin, 1990. "Airline Mergers, Airport Dominance, and Market Power," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 400-404, May.
- Evans, William N & Kessides, Ioannis N, 1993. "Localized Market Power in the U.S. Airline Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(1), pages 66-75, February.
- Peter Davis, 2006. "MEASURING THE BUSINESS STEALING, CANNIBALIZATION AND MARKET EXPANSION EFFECTS OF ENTRY IN THE U.S. MOTION PICTURE EXHIBITION MARKET -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(3), pages 293-321, 09.
- Ralf Dewenter & Michael Westermann, 2005.
"Cinema Demand In Germany,"
Journal of Cultural Economics,
Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 213-231, August.
- Kim, E Han & Singal, Vijay, 1993. "Mergers and Market Power: Evidence from the Airline Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 549-69, June.
- Hannan, Timothy H. & Liang, J. Nellie, 1993.
"Inferring market power from time-series data : The case of the banking firm,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 205-218, June.
- Timothy H. Hannan & J. Nellie Liang, 1991. "Inferring market power from time-series data: the case of the banking firm," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 147, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- David Neumark & Steven A. Sharpe, 1989.
"Market structure and the nature of price rigidity: evidence from the market for consumer deposits,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
52, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Neumark, David & Sharpe, Steven A, 1992. "Market Structure and the Nature of Price Rigidity: Evidence from the Market for Consumer Deposits," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 657-80, May.
- Morrison, Steven A & Winston, Clifford, 1990. "The Dynamics of Airline Pricing and Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 389-93, May.
- Sisto, Andrea & Zanola, Roberto, 2005. "Rationally Addicted to Cinema and Tv? An empirical investigation of Italian consumers," POLIS Working Papers 46, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Timothy H. Hannan, 1991. "The functional relationship between prices and market concentration: the case of the banking industry," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 169, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Peter Macmillan & Ian Smith, 2001. "Explaining Post-War Cinema Attendance in Great Britain," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 91-108, May.
- Evans, William N & Froeb, Luke M & Werden, Gregory J, 1993. "Endogeneity in the Concentration-Price Relationship: Causes, Consequences, and Cures," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(4), pages 431-38, December.
- Peter Winker & Dietmar Maringer, 2009. "The convergence of estimators based on heuristics: theory and application to a GARCH model," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 533-550, August.
- Davis, Peter, 2005. "The Effect of Local Competition on Admission Prices in the U.S. Motion Picture Exhibition Market," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(2), pages 677-708, October.
- VÍctor Blanco & JosÉ BaÑos Pino, 1997. "Cinema Demand in Spain: A Cointegration Analysis," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 57-75, March.
- Peter Davis, 2006. "Spatial competition in retail markets: movie theaters," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(4), pages 964-982, December.
- Chien-Ping Chen, 2009. "A Puzzle or a Choice: Uniform Pricing for Motion Pictures at the Box," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 37(1), pages 73-85, March.
- Kristien Werck & Bruno Heyndels, 2007. "Programmatic choices and the demand for theatre: the case of Flemish theatres," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 25-41, March.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Nichola J. Dyer & Pablo T. Spiller, 1992. "Fare Determination in Airline Hub-and-Spoke Networks," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 23(3), pages 309-333, Autumn.
- Beckert, Walter & Mazzarotto, Nicola, 2010.
"Price-concentration analysis in merger cases with differentiated products,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 4, pages 1-23.
- Beckert, Walter & Mazzarotto, Nicola, 2010. "Price-concentration analysis in merger cases with differentiated products," Economics Discussion Papers 2010-5, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Sylwester Kozak, 2008. "The Influence of Consolidation and Concentration of the Banking Sector on the Price Level in the Banks. The Example of USA," Ekonomia journal, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw, vol. 21.
- Lili Xie, 2007. "Bank Consolidation and Loan Pricing," Working Papers 200706, Ball State University, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2007.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jns:jbstat:v:231:y:2011:i:4:p:479-493. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.