Combined Effects of Load Factors and Booking Time on Fares: Insights from the Yield Management of a Low-Cost Airline
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Alderighi, Marco & Nicolini, Marcella & Piga, Claudio A., 2012. "Combined Effects of Load Factors and Booking Time on Fares: Insights from the Yield Management of a Low-Cost Airline," Economy and Society 122020, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei (FEEM).
- Marco Alderighi & Marcella Nicolini & Claudio A. Piga, 2012. "Combined Effects of Load Factors and Booking Time on Fares: Insights from the Yield Management of a Low-Cost Airline," Quaderni di Dipartimento 171, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Quantitative Methods.
References listed on IDEAS
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Gorodnichenko, Yuriy & Talavera, Oleksandr, 2010. "Are airlines' price-setting strategies different?," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-6.
- Diego Escobari & Li Gan, 2007. "Price Dispersion under Costly Capacity and Demand Uncertainty," NBER Working Papers 13075, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alderighi, Marco, 2010. "Fare dispersions in airline markets: A quantitative assessment of theoretical explanations," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 144-150.
- Marc Möller & Makoto Watanabe, 2010. "Advance Purchase Discounts Versus Clearance Sales," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 120(547), pages 1125-1148, September.
- Alberto A. Gaggero & Claudio A. Piga, 2011.
"Airline Market Power and Intertemporal Price Dispersion,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(4), pages 552-577, December.
- Alberto A. Gaggero & Claudio A. Piga, 2009. "Airline Market Power and Intertemporal Price Dispersion," Discussion Paper Series 2009_10, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Jul 2009.
- Borenstein, Severin & Rose, Nancy L, 1994.
"Competition and Price Dispersion in the U.S. Airline Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(4), pages 653-683, August.
- Severin Borenstein & Nancy L. Rose, 1991. "Competition and Price Dispersion in the U.S. Airline Industry," NBER Working Papers 3785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William N. Evans & Ioannis N. Kessides, 1994. "Living by the "Golden Rule": Multimarket Contact in the U. S. Airline Industry," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(2), pages 341-366.
- Bachis, Enrico & Piga, Claudio A., 2011. "Low-cost airlines and online price dispersion," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 655-667.
- Evans, William N & Kessides, Ioannis N, 1993. "Localized Market Power in the U.S. Airline Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(1), pages 66-75, February.
- Kristopher S. Gerardi & Adam Hale Shapiro, 2009. "Does Competition Reduce Price Dispersion? New Evidence from the Airline Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 117(1), pages 1-37, February.
- James D. Dana Jr., 1999. "Using Yield Management to Shift Demand When the Peak Time is Unknown," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(3), pages 456-474, Autumn.
- Steven L. Puller & Anirban Sengupta & Steven N. Wiggins, 2009. "Testing Theories of Scarcity Pricing in the Airline Industry," NBER Working Papers 15555, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James D. Dana Jr., 1999. "Equilibrium Price Dispersion Under Demand Uncertainty: The Roles of Costly Capacity and Market Structure," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(4), pages 632-660, Winter.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Escobari, Diego & Jindapon, Paan, 2014.
"Price discrimination through refund contracts in airlines,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 1-8.
- Escobari, Diego & Jindapon, Paan, 2014. "Price Discrimination through Refund Contracts in Airlines," MPRA Paper 53629, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Escobari, Diego, 2014.
"Estimating dynamic demand for airlines,"
Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 26-29.
- Puller, Steven L. & Taylor, Lisa M., 2012. "Price discrimination by day-of-week of purchase: Evidence from the U.S. airline industry," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 801-812.
- Siegert, Caspar & Ulbricht, Robert, 2014.
"Dynamic Oligopoly Pricing: Evidence from the Airline Industry,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
463, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Siegert, Caspar & Ulbricht, Robert, 2014. "Dynamic Oligopoly Pricing: Evidence from the Airline Industry," TSE Working Papers 14-478, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE), revised Jan 2019.
- Vigren, Andreas, 2016. "Competition in Swedish passenger railway : entry in an open-access market," Working papers in Transport Economics 2016:18, CTS - Centre for Transport Studies Stockholm (KTH and VTI).
- Melis, Giuseppe & Piga, Claudio A, 2016. "Are all online hotel prices created dynamic? An empirical assessment," MPRA Paper 75896, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Diego Escobari, 2013. "Asymmetric Price Adjustments in Airlines," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 34(2), pages 74-85, March.
- Alderighi, Marco & Gaggero, Alberto A & Piga, Claudio A, 2016. "The hidden side of dynamic pricing in airline markets," MPRA Paper 71674, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:eme:aiaezz:s2212-160920140000004006 is not listed on IDEAS
- Beria, Paolo & Bertolin, Alberto, 2019. "Evolving long-distance passenger services. Market concentration, fares and specialisation patterns in Italy," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(C), pages 77-92.
- Diego Escobari & Cristhian Mellado, 2014.
"The Choice of Airport, Airline, and Departure Date and Time: Estimating the Demand for Flights,"
Advances in Airline Economics, in: James Peoples (ed.), The Economics of International Airline Transport, volume 4, pages 177-198,
Emerald Publishing Ltd.
- Escobari, Diego & Mellado, Cristhian, 2013. "The Choice of Airport, Airline, and Departure Date and Time: Estimating the Demand for Flights," MPRA Paper 47943, University Library of Munich, Germany.
More about this item
KeywordsPricing policy; Panel Data; Ryanair; Yield Management;
- D22 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Empirical Analysis
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L93 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Air Transportation
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-COM-2012-04-23 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-HME-2012-04-23 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-TRE-2012-04-23 (Transport Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fem:femwpa:2012.14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/feemmit.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.