Dynamic Pricing for Network Service: Equilibrium and Stability
Consider a data communication network owned and operated by a single organization. The network has an infinite number of small users and is managed by a system manager (SM) whose objective is to maximize the net value of the system as a whole. The objective of this paper is to study pricing mechanisms that induce the optimal arrival rates when the SM has no full knowledge of the demand in advance. We investigate the system behavior under three alternative dynamic pricing rules and users' expectations models, and characterize the equilibrium and its stability conditions.
Volume (Year): 45 (1999)
Issue (Month): 6 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shaler Stidham, 1992. "Pricing and Capacity Decisions for a Service Facility: Stability and Multiple Local Optima," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(8), pages 1121-1139, August.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1991. "Adaptive and sophisticated learning in normal form games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 82-100, February.
- Marc Nerlove, 1958. "Adaptive Expectations and Cobweb Phenomena," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(2), pages 227-240.
- Mackie-Mason, J.K. & Varian, H.R., 1993.
"Pricing the Internet,"
20/1993, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Jeffrey K. MacKie-Mason & Hal R. Varian, 1994. "Pricing the Internet," Computational Economics 9401002, EconWPA.
- Mordecai Ezekiel, 1938. "The Cobweb Theorem," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(2), pages 255-280. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:45:y:1999:i:6:p:857-869. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.