Stock-bond co-movements and cross-country linkages
This study analyses the correlation of stock and bond indices for eight developed countries. We compare a country's stock-bond linkages with cross-country linkages and find that the former exhibit a negative trend in contrast to the positive trend observed for cross-country stock market and bond market linkages. We show that the decline of the stock-bond correlation in recent years can be explained with a more frequent portfolio rebalancing of investors due to the globalisation of securities markets and implied lower international diversification benefits across similar asset classes. A test for temporal commonalities of changes in cross-country and stock-bond linkages indicates that flight-to-quality from stocks to bonds and cross-country stock market contagion occurs simultaneously.
Volume (Year): 2 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID=277|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Robin L. Lumsdaine, 1998.
"Dating the Integration of World Equity Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
6724, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sheppard, Kevin & Cappiello, Lorenzo & Engle, Robert F., 2003.
"Asymmetric dynamics in the correlations of global equity and bond returns,"
Working Paper Series
0204, European Central Bank.
- Lorenzo Cappiello & Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2006. "Asymmetric Dynamics in the Correlations of Global Equity and Bond Returns," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(4), pages 537-572.
- Olmo, José & Gonzalo, Jesús, 2005. "Contagion versus flight to quality in financial markets," UC3M Working papers. Economics we051810, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Barr, David G. & Priestley, Richard, 2004.
"Expected returns, risk and the integration of international bond markets,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 71-97, February.
- David G. Barr & Richard Priestley, . "Expected Returns, Risk, and the Integration of International Bond Markets," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 97-01, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- David Barr & Richard Priestley, . "Expected returns, risk and the integration of international bond markets," CERF Discussion Paper Series 97-04, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Angela Ng, 2005.
"Market Integration and Contagion,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(1), pages 39-70, January.
- Keim, Donald B. & Stambaugh, Robert F., 1986.
"Predicting returns in the stock and bond markets,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 357-390, December.
- Donald B. Keim & Robert F. Stambaugh, . "Predicting Returns in the Stock and Bond Markets," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 15-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Kristin Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 1999.
"No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Co-movements,"
NBER Working Papers
7267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kristin J. Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 2002. "No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Comovements," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 2223-2261, October.
- Kim, Suk Joong & Moshirian, Fariborz & Wu, Eliza, 2005. "Dynamic stock market integration driven by the European Monetary Union: An empirical analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 2475-2502, October.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 1994.
"Time-Varying World Market Integration,"
NBER Working Papers
4843, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bracker, Kevin & Docking, Diane Scott & Koch, Paul D., 1999. "Economic determinants of evolution in international stock market integration," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Henrik Hansen & Søren Johansen, 1999. "Some tests for parameter constancy in cointegrated VAR-models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(2), pages 306-333.
- Lieven Baele & Annalisa Ferrando & Peter Hördahl & Elizaveta Krylova & Cyril Monnet, 2004. "Measuring financial integration in the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 14, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ids:injbaf:v:2:y:2010:i:2:p:111-129. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Graham Langley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.