Exploring the link between employment search time and reservation
In our piece of work we are facing a two-fold problem: on the one hand, we study the behaviour of young job seekers and the extent to which reservation wages and unemployment benefits play a relevant role in the transition into working life. On the other hand, we intend to find out whether the determinants of the job search process may also affect subsequent wages. We undertake an empirical approach combining one-step estimations with two-step instrumental variables techniques. The data used to this end come from the European Community Household Panel (ECHP) for the period 1995-2001. To be precise, the sub-sample gathers both male and female Southern European (Italian, Greek, Spanish and Portuguese) workers. From the results of the analysis important subtleties arise, particularly related to differences across countries.
Volume (Year): 186 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ief.es
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marimon, R. & Zilibotti, F., 1999.
"Employment and Distributional Effects of Restricting Working Time,"
Economics Working Papers
eco99/19, European University Institute.
- Marimon, Ramon & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 2000. "Employment and distributional effects of restricting working time," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 1291-1326, June.
- Marimon, Ramon & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 1999. "Employment and Distributional Effects of Restricting Working Time," CEPR Discussion Papers 2127, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tito Boeri & Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso, 2004.
"Cross-skill Redistribution and the Tradeoff between Unemployment Benefits and Employment Protection,"
271, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Boeri, Tito & Conde-Ruiz, José Ignacio & Galasso, Vincenzo, 2004. "Cross-Skill Redistribution and the Trade-Off Between Unemployment Benefits and Employment Protection," CEPR Discussion Papers 4711, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Boeri, Tito & Conde-Ruiz, J. Ignacio & Galasso, Vincenzo, 2004. "Cross-Skill Redistribution and the Tradeoff between Unemployment Benefits and Employment Protection," IZA Discussion Papers 1371, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arulampalam, Wiji & Booth, Alison L & Taylor, Mark P, 2000. "Unemployment Persistence," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(1), pages 24-50, January.
- Cheti Nicoletti & Franco Peracchi & Vincenzo Atella, 2005. "Survey Response and Survey Characteristics: Micro-level Evidence from the European Commission Household Panel," CEIS Research Paper 64, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Hans Bloemen & Elena Stancanelli, 2001.
"Individual Wealth, Reservation Wages, and Transitions into Employment,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/9704, Sciences Po.
- Bloemen, Hans G & Stancanelli, Elena G F, 2001. "Individual Wealth, Reservation Wages, and Transitions into Employment," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(2), pages 400-439, April.
- Bloemen, H.G. & Stancanelli, E.G.F., 1997. "Individual Wealth, Reservation Wages and Transitions into Employment," Discussion Paper 1997-02, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Oscar Marcenaro-Gutierrez & Peter Dolton & Gerald Makepeace, 2004.
"Career Progression: Getting-On, Getting-By And Going Nowhere,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004
159, Royal Economic Society.
- Peter Dolton & Gerald Makepeace & Oscar Marcenaro-Gutierrez, 2005. "Career progression: Getting-on, getting-by and going nowhere," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 237-255.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2002-07 is not listed on IDEAS
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Micklewright, John, 1991. "Unemployment Compensation and Labor Market Transitions: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(4), pages 1679-1727, December.
- Prasad, Eswar, 2003.
"What Determines the Reservation Wages of Unemployed Workers? New Evidence from German Micro Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
694, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eswar Prasad, 2003. "What Determines the Reservation Wages of Unemployed Workers? New Evidence From German Micro Data," IMF Working Papers 03/4, International Monetary Fund.
- Lancaster, Tony, 1985. "Simultaneous equations models in applied search theory," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 113-126, April.
- Lancaster, Tony & Chesher, Andrew, 1983. "An Econometric Analysis of Reservation Wages," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1661-76, November.
- Berg, G.J. van den & Gorter, C., 1996.
"Job search and commuting time,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0001, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521360531 is not listed on IDEAS
- Franco Peracchi, 2002. "The European Community Household Panel: A review," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 63-90.
- Albert Rees & Wayne Gray, 1982.
"Family Effects in Youth Employment,"
in: The Youth Labor Market Problem: Its Nature, Causes, and Consequences, pages 453-474
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jensen, Peter & Westergard-Nielsen, Niels C, 1987. "A Search Model Applied to the Transition from Education to Work," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(3), pages 461-72, July.
- Narendranathan, W & Nickell, S & Stern, J, 1985. "Unemployment Benefits Revisited," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(378), pages 307-29, June.
- Donald Haurin & Kala Sridhar, 2003. "The impact of local unemployment rates on reservation wages and the duration of search for a job," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(13), pages 1469-1476.
- van den Berg, Gerard J, 1990. "Nonstationarity in Job Search Theory," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(2), pages 255-77, April.
- Lancaster, Tony, 1979. "Econometric Methods for the Duration of Unemployment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 939-56, July.
- Torelli, Nicola & Trivellato, Ugo, 1993. "Modelling inaccuracies in job-search duration data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-2), pages 187-211, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hpe:journl:y:2008:v:186:i:3:p:91-121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Belén Miquel Burgos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.