Monetary Policy Strategies before Euro Adoption: The Art of Chasing Many Rabbits
This policy paper deals with the main strategic issues for monetary policy in new EU member states before their euro adoption. These are typically rooted in the challenge of fulfilling concurrently of the Maastricht inflation and exchange rate criteria. In this paper we first put forward that these criteria are vaguely defined and distinguish between the wording, written interpretation and ’revealed’ interpretation (by the European authorities) of these criteria. Next, the paper contain the comprehensive discussion of the strategic options for monetary policy in the period of fulfilment of these criteria in terms of (i) its transparency, (ii) its continuity with the previous monetary policy regime, (iii) the choice of central parity for the ERM II, (iv) the setting of the fluctuation bandwidth, (v) the probability of fulfilment of both criteria and (vi) the impact on the autonomy of monetary policy.
Volume (Year): 3 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Opletalova 26, CZ-110 00 Prague|
Phone: +420 2 222112330
Fax: +420 2 22112304
Web page: http://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://auco.cuni.cz/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balázs Égert & László Halpern & Ronald MacDonald, 2005.
"Equilibrium Exchange Rates in T ransition Economies: T aking Stock of the Issues,"
106, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Balázs �gert & László Halpern & Ronald MacDonald, 2006. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies: Taking Stock of the Issues ," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 257-324, 04.
- Balázs Égert, & László Halpern & Ronald MacDonald, 2005. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies: Taking Stock of the Issues," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp793, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Égert, Balázs & Halpern, László & MacDonald, Ronald, 2004. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies: Taking Stock of the Issues," CEPR Discussion Papers 4809, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bertola, Giuseppe & Caballero, Ricardo J, 1992.
"Target Zones and Realignments,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 520-36, June.
- Bulir, Ales & Hurnik, Jaromir, 2006.
"The Maastricht inflation criterion: How unpleasant is purgatory?,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 385-404, December.
- Ales Bulir & JaromÃr HurnÃk, 2006. "The Maastricht Inflation Criterion: How Unpleasant Is Purgatory?," IMF Working Papers 06/154, International Monetary Fund.
- Paul Masson & Francisco J. Ruge-Murcia, 2005.
"Explaining the Transition between Exchange Rate Regimes,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 107(2), pages 261-278, 06.
- MASSON, Paul & RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco J., 2003. "Explaining the Transition Between Exchange Rate Regimes," Cahiers de recherche 15-2003, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- MASSON, Paul & RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco J., 2003. "Explaining the Transition Between Exchange Rate Regimes," Cahiers de recherche 2003-21, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Michael Flad & Francesco Paolo Mongelli, 2005. "Economic and monetary integration of the new Member States - helping to chart the route," Occasional Paper Series 36, European Central Bank.
- Jesus Crespo Cuaresma & Balázs Égert & Ronald MacDonald, 2004. "Nonlinear Exchange Rate Dynamics in Target Zones," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 1, pages 46-69.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1992.
"Why Exchange Rate Bands? Monetary Independence in Spite of Fixed Exchange Rates,"
521, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- E.O. Svensson, Lars, 1994. "Why exchange rate bands? : Monetary independence in spite of fixed exchange rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 157-199, February.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1992. "Why Exchange Rate Bands? Monetary Independence in Spite of Fixed Exchange Rates," CEPR Discussion Papers 742, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1992. "Why Exchange Rate Bands? Monetary Independence in Spite of Fixed Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 4207, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Iannis A. Mourmouras & Michael G. Arghyrou, 1999. "Monetary Policy at the European Periphery. Greek Experience and Lessons for Transition Economies," CERT Discussion Papers 9910, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Paul Grauwe & Gunther Schnabl, 2005. "Nominal Versus Real Convergence - EMU Entry Scenarios for the New Member States," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(4), pages 537-555, November.
- Roman Horváth & Marek Rusnák, 2008.
"How Important Are Foreign Shocks in Small Open Economy? The Case of Slovakia,"
Working Papers IES
2008/21, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Sep 2008.
- Horvath Roman & Rusnak Marek, 2009. "How Important Are Foreign Shocks in a Small Open Economy? The Case of Slovakia," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-17, March.
- Roman Horváth & Marek Rusnák, 2008. "How Important Are Foreign Shocks in Small Open Economy? The Case of Slovakia," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp933, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Hochreiter, Eduard & Tavlas, George S., 2004. "On the road again: an essay on the optimal path to EMU for the new member states," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 793-816, October.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2004.
"Can Central Bank Transparency Go Too Far?,"
NBER Working Papers
10829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Louis Kuijs & Alain Borghijs, 2004. "Exchange Rates in Central Europe: A Blessing o+L2762r a Curse?," IMF Working Papers 04/2, International Monetary Fund.
- Stanley Fischer, 2001. "Exchange Rate Regimes: Is the Bipolar View Correct?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 3-24, Spring.
- Fabrizio Coricelli, 2002. "Exchange rate policy during transition to the European Monetary Union: The option of euroization," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 10(2), pages 405-417, July.
- Fabrizio Coricelli, 2004. "Fiscal policy in an enlarged EU," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 91(5), pages 191-208.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Jazbec, Bostjan & Masten, Igor, 2006. "Exchange rate pass-through in EMU acceding countries: Empirical analysis and policy implications," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1375-1391, May.
- Barry Eichengreen & Charles Wyplosz, 1993. "The Unstable EMS," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 24(1), pages 51-144.
- Crespo Cuaresma, Jesus & Wojcik, Cezary, 2006. "Measuring monetary independence: Evidence from a group of new EU member countries," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 24-43, March.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1991. "Target Zones and Exchange Rate Dynamics," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(3), pages 669-682.
- Balázs �Gert & Rafañ Kierzenkowski & Rafañ Kierzenkowski & Rafañ Kierzenkowski, 2005. "Asymmetric Fluctuation Bands in the ERM and ERM II : Lessons and Challenges for New EU Member States of Central and Eastern Europe," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 43(1), pages 82-115, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fau:aucocz:au2009_176. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Stastna)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.