Return Migration and Occupational Choice: Evidence from Albania
Summary This paper explores the impact of return migration on the Albanian economy by analyzing the occupational choice of return migrants while explicitly differentiating between self-employment as either own account work or entrepreneurship. We find that the own account workers have characteristics closer to non-participants in the labor market (i.e., lower education levels), while entrepreneurship is positively related to schooling, foreign language proficiency, and savings accumulated abroad. Furthermore, compared to having not migrated, return migrants are significantly more likely to be entrepreneurs, showing the positive impact of migration on job-creating activities in Albania.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smith, Richard J & Blundell, Richard W, 1986. "An Exogeneity Test for a Simultaneous Equation Tobit Model with an Application to Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 679-85, May.
- Vadean, Florin & Piracha, Matloob, 2009.
"Circular Migration or Permanent Return: What Determines Different Forms of Migration?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4287, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Florin P. Vadean & Matloob Piracha, 2009. "Circular Migration or Permanent Return: What Determines Different Forms of Migration?," Studies in Economics 0912, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Mariapia Mendola & Gero Carletto, 2009.
"International Migration and Gender Differentials in the Home Labor Market: Evidence from Albania,"
Development Working Papers
272, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Mendola, Mariapia & Carletto, Gero, 2009. "International migration and gender differentials in the home labor market : evidence from Albania," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4900, The World Bank.
- Mariapia Mendola & Gero Carletto, 2008. "International migration and gender differentials in the home labor market: evidence from Albania," Working Papers 148, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2008.
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J, 1998.
"What Makes an Entrepreneur?,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 26-60, January.
- Kilic, Talip & Carletto, Calogero & Davis, Benjamin & Zezza, Alberto, 2007. "Investing back home : return migration and business ownership in Albania," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4366, The World Bank.
- Dustmann, Christian & Kirchkamp, Oliver, 2000.
"The Optimal Migration Duration and Activity Choice after Re-migration,"
Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications
00-39, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Dustmann, Christian & Kirchkamp, Oliver, 2002. "The optimal migration duration and activity choice after re-migration," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 351-372, April.
- Dustmann, Christian & Kirchkamp, Oliver, 2001. "The Optimal Migration Duration and Activity Choice after Re-migration," IZA Discussion Papers 266, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dustmann, Christian & Kirchkamp, Oliver, 2000. "The optimal migration duration and activity choice after re-migration," Papers 00-39, Sonderforschungsbreich 504.
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-42, March.
- Dustmann, Christian, 2001.
"Return Migration, Wage Differentials, and the Optimal Migration Duration,"
IZA Discussion Papers
264, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dustmann, Christian, 2003. "Return migration, wage differentials, and the optimal migration duration," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 353-369, April.
- Julie Zissimopoulos & Lynn A. Karoly, 2003.
"Transitions to Self-Employment at Older Ages: The Role of Wealth, Health, Health Insurance, and Other Factors,"
135, RAND Corporation.
- Zissimopoulos, Julie M. & Karoly, Lynn A., 2007. "Transitions to self-employment at older ages: The role of wealth, health, health insurance and other factors," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 269-295, April.
- Augustin Coulon & Matloob Piracha, 2005.
"Self-selection and the performance of return migrants: the source country perspective,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 18(4), pages 779-807, November.
- Augustin De Coulon & Matloob Piracha, 2003. "Self-selection and the performance of return migrants: the source country perspective," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20040, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Matloob Piracha & Augustin de Coulon, 2003. "Self-Selection and the Performance of Return Migrants: the Source Country Perspective," CEP Discussion Papers dp0576, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Azzarri, Carlo & Carletto, Calogero, 2009. "Modeling migration dynamics in Albania : a hazard function approach," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4945, The World Bank.
- Djajic, Slobodan & Milbourne, Ross, 1988. "A general equilibrium model of guest-worker migration : The source-country perspective," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3-4), pages 335-351, November.
- Voicu, Alexandru, 2002.
"Agriculture: Transition Buffer or Black Hole? A Three-State Model of Employment Dynamics,"
IZA Discussion Papers
676, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alexandru Voicu, 2003. "Agriculture: transition buffer or black hole? A three-state model of employment dynamics," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 35, Society for Computational Economics.
- Alice Mesnard, 2004. "Temporary migration and capital market imperfections," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 56(2), pages 242-262, April.
- World Bank, 2005. "Global Economic Prospects 2006 : Economic Implications of Remittances and Migration," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7306, April.
- Ilahi, Nadeem, 1999. "Return Migration and Occupational Change," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 170-86, June.
- McCormick, Barry & Wahba, Jackline, 2001. "Overseas Work Experience, Savings and Entrepreneurship amongst Return Migrants to LDCs," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 48(2), pages 164-78, May.
- Dustmann, Christian, 1997. "Return migration, uncertainty and precautionary savings," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 295-316, April.
- Calogero Carletto & Talip Kilic, 2011.
"Moving Up the Ladder? The Impact of Migration Experience on Occupational Mobility in Albania,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(6), pages 846-869.
- Carletto, Calogero & Kilic, Talip, 2009. "Moving up the ladder ? the impact of migration experience on occupational mobility in Albania," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4908, The World Bank.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain & Renault, Eric & Trognon, Alain, 1987. "Generalised residuals," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 5-32.
- George J. Borjas & Bernt Bratsberg, 1994.
"Who Leaves? The Outmigration of the Foreign-Born,"
NBER Working Papers
4913, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hill, John K., 1987. "Immigrant decisions concerning duration of stay and migratory frequency," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 221-234, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:38:y:2010:i:8:p:1141-1155. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.