Spatial impacts of road pricing: Accessibility, regional spillovers and territorial cohesion
Road pricing policies are gaining prominence in EU countries. These policies have positive impacts leading to mobility patterns which are socially and environmentally more desirable, but they also have negative impacts. One negative impact is to be found in regional accessibility, due to the increase in generalized transport costs. This study presents a methodology based on accessibility indicators and GIS to assess the accessibility impacts of a road pricing policy. The methodology was tested for the Spain's road network considering two road pricing scenarios. It enables not only the more penalized regions to be identified but also negative road pricing spillover effects between regions. These effects are measured in terms of accessibility changes occurring in one region produced by charges implemented in another region. Finally, the study of accessibility disparities (by calculating inequality indexes for each of the scenarios considered), provides policymakers with useful information regarding the impact of road pricing policies from the point of view of territorial cohesion.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 45 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karlström, Anders & Franklin, Joel P., 2009. "Behavioral adjustments and equity effects of congestion pricing: Analysis of morning commutes during the Stockholm Trial," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 283-296, March.
- Benjamin Bureau & Matthieu Glachant, 2008.
"Distributional effects of road pricing: Assessment of nine scenarios for Paris,"
- Bureau, Benjamin & Glachant, Matthieu, 2008. "Distributional effects of road pricing: Assessment of nine scenarios for Paris," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(7), pages 994-1007, August.
- Eliasson, Jonas & Mattsson, Lars-Göran, 2006. "Equity effects of congestion pricing: Quantitative methodology and a case study for Stockholm," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 602-620, August.
- B J Linneker & N A Spence, 1992. "Accessibility measures compared in an analysis of the impact of the M25 London Orbital Motorway on Britain," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 24(8), pages 1137-1154, August.
- Pereira, Alfredo Marvao & Roca-Sagales, Oriol, 2003.
"Spillover effects of public capital formation: evidence from the Spanish regions,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 238-256, March.
- Alfredo Marvao Pereira & Oriol Roca Sagalés, 2002. "Spillover effects of public capital formation : evidence from the spanish regions," Working Papers wpdea0210, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- J GutiÃ©rrez & A MonzÃ³n & J M PiÃ±ero, 1998. "Accessibility, Network Efficiency, and Transport Infrastructure Planning," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 30(8), pages 1337-1350, August.
- J Gutiérrez & A Monzón & J M Pinéro, 1998. "Accessibility, network efficiency, and transport infrastructure planning," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 30(8), pages 1337-1350, August.
- Forslund, Ulla M & Johansson, Borje, 1995. "Assessing Road Investments: Accessibility Changes, Cost Benefit and Production Effects," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 29(2), pages 155-74, May.
- F Bruinsma & P Rietveld, 1998.
"The accessibility of European cities: theoretical framework and comparison of approaches,"
Environment and Planning A,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 30(3), pages 499-521, March.
- F Bruinsma & P Rietveld, 1998. "The Accessibility of European Cities: Theoretical Framework and Comparison of Approaches," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 30(3), pages 499-521, March.
- M E Frost & N A Spence, 1995. "The rediscovery of accessibility and economic potential: the critical issue of self-potential," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 27(11), pages 1833-1848, November.
- May, A. D. & Milne, D. S., 2000. "Effects of alternative road pricing systems on network performance," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 407-436, August.
- Taede Tillema & Bert Van Wee & Tom De Jong, 2003. "Road pricing from a geographical perspective: a literature review and implications for research into accessibility," ERSA conference papers ersa03p77, European Regional Science Association.
- M E Frost & N A Spence, 1995. "The Rediscovery of Accessibility and Economic Potential: The Critical Issue of Self-Potential," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 27(11), pages 1833-1848, November.
- Daniel, Joseph I. & Bekka, Khalid, 2000. "The Environmental Impact of Highway Congestion Pricing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 180-215, March.
- Olszewski, Piotr & Xie, Litian, 2005. "Modelling the effects of road pricing on traffic in Singapore," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(7-9), pages 755-772.
- Bruinsma, F. & Rietveld, P., 1993.
"Urban agglomerations in European infrastructure networks,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0008, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Frank Bruinsma & Piet Rietveld, 1993. "Urban Agglomerations in European Infrastructure Networks," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 30(6), pages 919-934, June.
- Adelheid Holl, 2004.
"Start-ups and relocations: Manufacturing plant location in Portugal,"
Economics of Governance,
Springer, vol. 83(4), pages 649-668, October.
- Adelheid Holl, 2004. "Start-ups and relocations: Manufacturing plant location in Portugal," Papers in Regional Science, Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 83(4), pages 649-668, October.
- Rotaris, Lucia & Danielis, Romeo & Marcucci, Edoardo & Massiani, Jérôme, 2010. "The urban road pricing scheme to curb pollution in Milan, Italy: Description, impacts and preliminary cost-benefit analysis assessment," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 44(5), pages 359-375, June.
- Camagni, Roberto, 2009. "Territorial Impact Assessment for European regions: A methodological proposal and an application to EU transport policy," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 342-350, November.
- Viegas, José M., 2001. "Making urban road pricing acceptable and effective: searching for quality and equity in urban mobility," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 289-294, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:45:y:2011:i:3:p:185-203. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.