Congestion charging and car use: A review of stated preference and opinion studies and market monitoring evidence
This paper reviews 20 published congestion pricing studies with a focus on the dimensions of the stated preference or opinion survey, especially the type of charging regime and the structure of the charge. The effectiveness and acceptability of different charging regimes, as well as behavioural responses such as changes in departure time, car use, mode, residential, and work location, are synthesised, and used to provide insights to enrich our understanding of the potential role that specific congestion pricing schemes might play in influencing behavioural change. Reviewed evidence from the monitoring of the behavioural responses associated with actual congestion charging schemes, such as reduction in car trips, shift in departure times and switch to public transport, shows that the evidence from stated preference studies aligns well with the real market evidence. We also provide recommendations on the design of future stated preference studies, emphasising the need to include a systematic treatment of all key themes identified in this paper.
Volume (Year): 20 (2012)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Georgina Santos & Laurent Rojey, 2004. "Distributional impacts of road pricing: The truth behind the myth," Transportation, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 21-42, February.
- Zheng Li & John M. Rose & David Hensher, 2010. "Forecasting petrol demand and assessing the impact of selective strategies to reduce fuel consumption," Transportation Planning and Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(5), pages 407-421, June.
- Jones, Peter & Hervik, Arild, 1992. "Restraining car traffic in European cities: An emerging role for road pricing," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 133-145, March.
- Karlström, Anders & Franklin, Joel P., 2009. "Behavioral adjustments and equity effects of congestion pricing: Analysis of morning commutes during the Stockholm Trial," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 283-296, March.
- O'Fallon, Carolyn & Sullivan, Charles & Hensher, David A, 2004. "Constraints affecting mode choices by morning car commuters," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Ubbels, Barry & Verhoef, Erik, 2005. "Behavioural responses to road pricing. Empirical results from a survey among Dutch car owners," European Transport \ Trasporti Europei, ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 31, pages 101-117.
- Starr McMullen, B. & Zhang, Lei & Nakahara, Kyle, 2010. "Distributional impacts of changing from a gasoline tax to a vehicle-mile tax for light vehicles: A case study of Oregon," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 359-366, November.
- Ubbels, Barry & Verhoef, Erik, 2006.
"Acceptability of road pricing and revenue use in the Netherlands,"
European Transport \ Trasporti Europei,
ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 32, pages 69-94.
- Barry Ubbels & Erik T. Verhoef, 2005. "Acceptability of road pricing and revenue use in the Netherlands," ERSA conference papers ersa05p120, European Regional Science Association.
- Gehlert, Tina & Kramer, Christiane & Nielsen, Otto Anker & Schlag, Bernhard, 2011. "Socioeconomic differences in public acceptability and car use adaptation towards urban road pricing," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 685-694, September.
- Saleh, Wafaa & Farrell, Séona, 2005. "Implications of congestion charging for departure time choice: Work and non-work schedule flexibility," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(7-9), pages 773-791.
- Kockelman, Kara M. & Kalmanje, Sukumar, 2005. "Credit-based congestion pricing: a policy proposal and the public's response," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(7-9), pages 671-690.
- Brownstone, David & Small, Kenneth A., 2003.
"Valuing Time and Reliability: Assessing the Evidence from Road Pricing Demonstrations,"
University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers
qt95z0p35k, University of California Transportation Center.
- Brownstone, David & Small, Kenneth A., 2005. "Valuing time and reliability: assessing the evidence from road pricing demonstrations," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 279-293, May.
- Eliasson, Jonas & Mattsson, Lars-Göran, 2006. "Equity effects of congestion pricing: Quantitative methodology and a case study for Stockholm," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 602-620, August.
- Olszewski, Piotr & Xie, Litian, 2005. "Modelling the effects of road pricing on traffic in Singapore," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(7-9), pages 755-772.
- Geertje Schuitema & Barry Ubbels & Linda Steg & Erik Verhoef, 2008. "Car Usersâ€™ Acceptability of a Kilometre Charge," Chapters, in: Pricing in Road Transport, chapter 11 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- S. Jaensirisak & M. Wardman & A. D. May, 2005. "Explaining Variations in Public Acceptability of Road Pricing Schemes," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 39(2), pages 127-154, May.
- Li, Zheng & Hensher, David A. & Rose, John M., 2010. "Willingness to pay for travel time reliability in passenger transport: A review and some new empirical evidence," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 384-403, May.
- Barry Ubbels & Taede Tillema & Erik Verhoef & Bert van Wee, 2008. "Effects of a Kilometre Charge on Car Use, Car Ownership and Relocation," Chapters, in: Pricing in Road Transport, chapter 5 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Kenneth A. Small & Clifford Winston & Jia Yan, 2005. "Uncovering the Distribution of Motorists' Preferences for Travel Time and Reliability," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(4), pages 1367-1382, 07.
- Yin-yen Tseng & Erik Verhoef, 2007.
"Value of Time by Time of Day: A Stated-Preference Study,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
07-061/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 08 Nov 2007.
- Tseng, Yin-Yen & Verhoef, Erik T., 2008. "Value of time by time of day: A stated-preference study," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 42(7-8), pages 607-618, August.
- Taede Tillema & Bert van Wee & Dick Ettema, 2010. "Road Pricing and Relocation Decisions of Dutch Households," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 47(14), pages 3013-3033, December.
- Farrell, Séona & Saleh, Wafaa, 2005. "Road-user charging and the modelling of revenue allocation," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 431-442, September.
- Hu, Shucheng & Saleh, Wafaa, 2005. "Impacts of congestion charging on shopping trips in Edinburgh," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 443-450, September.
- Dirk van Amelsfort & Piet Bovy & Michiel Bliemer & Barry Ubbels, 2008. "Travellersâ€™ Responses to Road Pricing: Value of Time, Schedule Delay and Unreliability," Chapters, in: Pricing in Road Transport, chapter 4 Edward Elgar Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:20:y:2012:i:c:p:47-61. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.