What is paratransit worth?
Paratransit is a flexible demand-responsive form of public transportation intended for transporting mobility impaired individuals. This is the first study that estimates both demand and cost functions for publicly provided paratransit in the United States and the first to conduct a benefit-cost analysis for this mode. We find that the benefits of paratransit far exceed its associated costs. The results suggest that paratransit riders have few transportation alternatives available to them. We also find that the level of service matters in the demand for paratransit.
Volume (Year): 44 (2010)
Issue (Month): 10 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jinyong Hahn & Jerry Hausman & Guido Kuersteiner, 2004. "Estimation with weak instruments: Accuracy of higher-order bias and MSE approximations," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(1), pages 272-306, 06.
- Fuller, Wayne A, 1977. "Some Properties of a Modification of the Limited Information Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(4), pages 939-53, May.
- Palmer, Kurt & Dessouky, Maged & Abdelmaguid, Tamer, 2004. "Impacts of management practices and advanced technologies on demand responsive transit systems," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 495-509, August.
- Michael P. Murray, 2006. "Avoiding Invalid Instruments and Coping with Weak Instruments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 111-132, Fall.
- Duncombe, William & Yinger, John, 1998. "School Finance Reform: Aid Formulas and Equity Objectives," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 51(n. 2), pages 239-62, June.
- Fitzgerald, James & Shaunesey, Donna & Stern, Steven, 2000.
"The effect of education programs on paratransit demand of people with disabilities,"
Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice,
Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 261-285, May.
- Steven Stern & James Fitzgerald & Donna Shaunesey, 1998. "The Effect of Education Programs on Paratransit Demand of People with Disabilities," Virginia Economics Online Papers 325, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Bruno De Borger & Kristiaan Kerstens & Álvaro Costa, 2002. "Public transit performance: What does one learn from frontier studies?," Transport Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 1-38, January.
- Stern, Steven, 1993. "A disaggregate discrete choice model of transportation demand by elderly and disabled people in rural Virginia," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 315-327, July.
- repec:reg:rpubli:98 is not listed on IDEAS
- Diana, Marco & Dessouky, Maged M. & Xia, Nan, 2006. "A model for the fleet sizing of demand responsive transportation services with time windows," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 40(8), pages 651-666, September.
- Dessouky, Maged & Palmer, Kurt & Abdelmaguid, Tamer, 2003. "Benchmarking Best Practices of Demand Responsive Transit Systems," Institute of Transportation Studies, Research Reports, Working Papers, Proceedings qt3c77b9wd, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Berkeley.
- Ruggiero, John, 1996. "Efficiency of Educational Production: An Analysis of New York School Districts," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(3), pages 499-509, August.
- Martijn Brons & Peter Nijkamp & Eric Pels & Piet Rietveld, 2005. "Efficiency of urban public transit: A meta analysis," Transportation, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Bearse, Peter & Gurmu, Shiferaw & Rapaport, Carol & Stern, Steven, 2004. "Paratransit demand of disabled people," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 809-831, November.
- Palmer, Kurt & Dessouky, Maged & Zhou, Zhiqiang, 2008. "Factors influencing productivity and operating cost of demand responsive transit," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 503-523, March.
- Viton, Philip A, 1981. "A Translog Cost Function for Urban Bus Transit," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(3), pages 287-304, March.
- McCullough, William S. III & Taylor, Brian D. & Wachs, Martin, 1998. "Transit Service Contracting and Cost Efficiency," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt1x1048tt, University of California Transportation Center.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997.
"Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," NBER Technical Working Papers 0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Winston, Clifford & Maheshri, Vikram, 2007. "On the social desirability of urban rail transit systems," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 362-382, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:44:y:2010:i:10:p:841-853. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.