Hunting scale-free properties in R&D collaboration networks: Self-organization, power-law and policy issues in the European aerospace research area
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Roki Iwahashi & Tomohiro Machikita, 2004. "A new empirical regularity in world income distribution dynamics, 1960-2001," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(19), pages 1-15.
- Charlie Karlsson & Börje Johansson & Roger R. Stough (ed.), 2005. "Industrial Clusters and Inter-Firm Networks," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 3577.
- Hobday, Mike, 1998. "Product complexity, innovation and industrial organisation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 689-710, February.
- David Frachisse & Pascal Billand, 2008.
"The Sixth Framework Program as an Affiliation Network: Representation and Analysis,"
2008.32, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Billand, Pascal & Frachisse, David & Massard, Nadine, 2008. "The Sixth Framework Program as an Affiliation Network: Representation and Analysis," Coalition Theory Network Working Papers 6217, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei (FEEM).
- Jorge Niosi & Majlinda Zhegu, 2005. "Aerospace Clusters: Local or Global Knowledge Spillovers?," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 5-29.
- Mowery, David C. & Oxley, Joanne E. & Silverman, Brian S., 1998. "Technological overlap and interfirm cooperation: implications for the resource-based view of the firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 507-523, September.
- Prencipe, Andrea, 2000. "Breadth and depth of technological capabilities in CoPS: the case of the aircraft engine control system," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(7-8), pages 895-911, August.
- Levin, Simon A. & Barrett, Scott & Aniyar, Sara & Baumol, William & Bliss, Christopher & Bolin, Bert & Dasgupta, Partha & Ehrlich, Paul & Folke, Carl & Gren, Ing-Marie & Holling, C.S. & Jansson, Annma, 1998. "Resilience in natural and socioeconomic systems," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(02), pages 221-262, May.
- Christian Longhi, 2005. "A french revolution : technology management in the aerospace industry. The case of Toulouse," Post-Print halshs-00278465, HAL.
- Yoshiko Okubo & Michel Zitt, 2004. "Searching for research integration across Europe: a closer look at international and inter-regional collaboration in France," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 31(3), pages 213-226, June.
- Roediger-Schluga, Thomas & Barber, Michael J., 2006. "The structure of R&D collaboration networks in the European Framework Programmes," MERIT Working Papers 036, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Almendral, Juan A. & Oliveira, J.G. & López, L. & Mendes, J.F.F. & Sanjuán, Miguel A.F., 2007. "The network of scientific collaborations within the European framework programme," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 384(2), pages 675-683.
- Tom Broekel & Holger Graf, 2012. "Public research intensity and the structure of German R&D networks: a comparison of 10 technologies," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 345-372, April.
- Konno, Tomohiko, 2009. "Network structure of Japanese firms. Scale-free, hierarchy, and degree correlation: analysis from 800,000 firms," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), vol. 3, pages 1-13.
- Barrie R. Nault & Rajeev K. Tyagi, 2001. "Erratum: Implementable Mechanisms to Coordinate Horizontal Alliances," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(10), pages 1440-1440, October.
- Massimo Paoli & Andrea Prencipe, 1999. "The Role of Knowledge Bases in Complex Product Systems: Some Empirical Evidence from the Aero Engine Industry," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 3(2), pages 137-160, June.
- Pierre Dussauge & Bernard Garrette, 1995. "Determinants of Success in International Strategic Alliances: Evidence from the Global Aerospace Industry," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 26(3), pages 505-530, September.
- Marin, Pedro L. & Siotis, Georges, 2008. "Public policies towards Research Joint Venture: Institutional design and participants' characteristics," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6-7), pages 1057-1065, July.
- Gilsing, V.A. & Lemmens, C. & Duijsters, G.M., 2007. "Strategic alliance networks and innovation : A deterministic and voluntaristic view combined," Other publications TiSEM deaff6db-3e18-4bfc-a3fa-7, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- David Smith & Gamal Ibrahim, 2006. "Cluster Dynamics: Corporate Strategy, Industry Evolution and Technology Trajectories - A Case Study of the East Midlands Aerospace Cluster," Local Economy, London South Bank University, vol. 21(4), pages 362-377, November.
- Thomas Scherngell & Michael J. Barber, 2009. "Spatial interaction modelling of cross-region R&D collaborations: empirical evidence from the 5th EU framework programme," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(3), pages 531-546, August.
- Vuong, Quang H, 1989. "Likelihood Ratio Tests for Model Selection and Non-nested Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 307-333, March.
- Raspe, Otto & van Oort, Frank G., 2011. "Firm heterogeneity, productivity and spatially bounded knowledge externalities," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 38-47, March.
- Mireille Matt & Stéphane Robin & Sandrine Wolff, 2012.
"The influence of public programs on inter-firm R&D collaboration strategies: project-level evidence from EU FP5 and FP6,"
The Journal of Technology Transfer,
Springer, vol. 37(6), pages 885-916, December.
- Mireille Matt & Stephane Robin & Sandrine Wolff, 2012. "The influence of public programs on inter-firm R&D collaboration strategies: project-level evidence from EU FP5 and FP6," Post-Print hal-01804925, HAL.
- Catherine Beaudry, 2001. "Entry, Growth and Patenting in Industrial Clusters: A Study of the Aerospace Industry in the UK," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 405-436.
- Luukkonen, Terttu & Nedeva, Maria, 2010. "Towards understanding integration in research and research policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 674-686, June.
- Caldarelli, Guido, 2007. "Scale-Free Networks: Complex Webs in Nature and Technology," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199211517.
- Alessia Sammarra & Lucio Biggiero, 2008. "Heterogeneity and Specificity of Inter-Firm Knowledge Flows in Innovation Networks," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 800-829, June.
- Manfred Paier & Thomas Scherngell, 2011. "Determinants of Collaboration in European R&D Networks: Empirical Evidence from a Discrete Choice Model," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 89-104.
- Stefano Breschi & Franco Malerba, 2009. "ERA and the Role of Networks," Chapters,in: European Science and Technology Policy, chapter 9 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Barrie R. Nault & Rajeev K. Tyagi, 2001. "Implementable Mechanisms to Coordinate Horizontal Alliances," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(6), pages 787-799, June.
- Frenken, Koen, 2000. "A complexity approach to innovation networks. The case of the aircraft industry (1909-1997)," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 257-272, February.
- Kash, Don E. & Rycoft, Robert W., 2000. "Patterns of innovating complex technologies: a framework for adaptive network strategies," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(7-8), pages 819-831, August.
- Prencipe, Andrea, 1997. "Technological competencies and product's evolutionary dynamics a case study from the aero-engine industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 1261-1276, January.
- Hagedoorn, John, 2002. "Inter-firm R&D partnerships: an overview of major trends and patterns since 1960," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 477-492, May.
- Elisa Giuliani, 2007. "The selective nature of knowledge networks in clusters: evidence from the wine industry," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(2), pages 139-168, March.
- Perrings, Charles, 2006. "Resilience and sustainable development," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(04), pages 417-427, August.
- Mukherjee, Animesh & Choudhury, Monojit & Ganguly, Niloy, 2011. "Understanding how both the partitions of a bipartite network affect its one-mode projection," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(20), pages 3602-3607.
- Melissa A. Schilling & Corey C. Phelps, 2007. "Interfirm Collaboration Networks: The Impact of Large-Scale Network Structure on Firm Innovation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(7), pages 1113-1126, July.
- Hobday, Mike, 2000. "The project-based organisation: an ideal form for managing complex products and systems?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(7-8), pages 871-893, August.
- Derek Braddorn & Keith Hartley, 2007. "The competitiveness of the UK aerospace industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(6), pages 715-726.
- Bernard Garrette & Pierre Dussauge, 1995. "Determinants of Success in International Strategic Alliances: Evidence from the Global Aerospace Industry," Post-Print hal-00458889, HAL.
- Alan O'Sullivan, 2006. "Why tense, unstable, and diverse relations are inherent in co-designing with suppliers: an aerospace case study," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(2), pages 221-250, April.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2004:i:19:p:1-15 is not listed on IDEAS
- Aimilia Protogerou & Yannis Caloghirou & Evangelos Siokas, 2010. "Policy-driven collaborative research networks in Europe," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 349-372.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guffarth, Daniel & Barber, Michael J., 2014. "Network evolution, success, and regional development in the European aerospace industry," FZID Discussion Papers 96-2014, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- repec:eee:infome:v:12:y:2018:i:4:p:1263-1281 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:spr:scient:v:112:y:2017:i:3:d:10.1007_s11192-017-2459-y is not listed on IDEAS
- Rossi, Federica & Caloffi, Annalisa & Russo, Margherita, 2016.
"Networked by design: Can policy requirements influence organisations' networking behaviour?,"
Technological Forecasting and Social Change,
Elsevier, vol. 105(C), pages 203-214.
- Rossi, Federica & Caloffi, Annalisa & Russo, Margherita, 2015. "Networked by design: Can policy requirements influence organisations’ networking behaviour?," MPRA Paper 69327, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jan 2016.
- repec:eee:tefoso:v:120:y:2017:i:c:p:311-322 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
KeywordsAerospace; EU research policy; Power-law distribution; R&D collaboration networks; Resilience; Self-organization; Sustainability;
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C18 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Methodolical Issues: General
- D85 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Network Formation
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
- L93 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Air Transportation
- O32 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Innovation; Research and Development; Technological Change; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O38 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Innovation; Research and Development; Technological Change; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Government Policy
- O52 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
- Z18 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Public Policy
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:tefoso:v:94:y:2015:i:c:p:21-43. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00401625 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.