Towards understanding integration in research and research policy
Increasing the level of integration is currently an important policy objective for European research. This brings to light issues regarding the meaning and nature of integration and integration in research; issues associated with the mechanisms to enable and facilitate higher levels of integration in research as part of a policy process; and issues related to the assessment and evaluation of success or failure of policy instruments. The paper addresses these issues by introducing a nuanced conceptualisation developed with particular reference to the policy task for promoting integration and proposing a framework that captures essential features in integrative processes in research--both at the level of researchers and organisations. Furthermore, an empirical example of a Network of Excellence is used to illustrate how the proposed framework can be applied.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yoshiko Okubo & Michel Zitt, 2004. "Searching for research integration across Europe: a closer look at international and inter-regional collaboration in France," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 31(3), pages 213-226, June.
- André Sapir & Philippe Aghion & Giuseppe Bertola & Martin Hellwig & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Bernard Lange & José Viñals & Helen Wallace & Marco Buti & Mario Nava & Peter Smith, 2004.
"An agenda for a growing Europe: the Sapir report,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/8070, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Wacziarg, Romain & Spolaore, Enrico & Alesina, Alberto, 2000.
"Economic Integration and Political Disintegration,"
4553029, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Samuel Bowles & Herbert Gintis, 2001.
"Social Capital and Community Governance,"
01-01-003, Santa Fe Institute.
- Terttu Luukkonen & Maria Nedeva & Rémi Barré, 2006. "Understanding the dynamics of networks of excellence," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(4), pages 239-252, May.
- Stefano Breschi & Lucia Cusmano, 2002. "Unveiling the Texture of a European Research Area: Emergence of Oligarchic Networks under EU Framework Programmes," KITeS Working Papers 130, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2002.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:respol:v:39:y:2010:i:5:p:674-686. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.