Innovation, Knowledge and Regional Economic Performances: Regularities and Differences in the EU
This paper examines how the recent economic performance - jointly measured by the level and growth rate of per capita GDP - of 151 developed European regions has been affected by their innovation and knowledge base. A regression analysis is carried out by using as a main explanatory variable a composite indicator extracted from a comprehensive set of innovation and education variables. The above relationship is controlled for structural characteristics and allowed to vary across EU countries. The results point to a highly significant economic impact of innovation and knowledge which, however, is not homogeneous among countries and regions.
|Date of creation:||May 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazzale Martelli, 8, 60121 Ancona|
Phone: +39 071 220 7100
Fax: +39 071 220 7102
Web page: http://www.dises.univpm.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fagerberg, Jan & Verspagen, Bart, 2002.
"Technology-gaps, innovation-diffusion and transformation: an evolutionary interpretation,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1291-1304, December.
- Jan Fagerberg & Bart Verspagen, 2001. "Technology-Gaps, Innovation-Diffusion And Transformation: An Evolutionary Interpretation," Working Papers 11, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Audretsch, David B & Keilbach, Max, 2005.
"Entrepreneurship Capital - Determinants and Impact,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4905, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David B. Audretsch & Max Keilbach, 2004. "Entrepreneurship Capital: Determinants and Impact," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-37, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Rosina Moreno & Raffaele Paci & Stefano Usai, 2005.
"Spatial spillovers and innovation activity in European regions,"
Environment and Planning A,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 37(10), pages 1793-1812, October.
- Rosina Moreno & Raffaele Paci & Stefano Usai, 2004. "Spatial spillovers and innovation activity in European regions," ERSA conference papers ersa04p588, European Regional Science Association.
- Mora, Toni & Vaya, Esther & Surinach, Jordi, 2005. "Specialisation and growth: the detection of European regional convergence clubs," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 181-185, February.
- Todtling, Franz & Trippl, Michaela, 2005. "One size fits all?: Towards a differentiated regional innovation policy approach," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1203-1219, October.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1987.
"A technology gap approach to why growth rates differ,"
Elsevier, vol. 16(2-4), pages 87-99, August.
- Jan Fagerberg, 1987. "A technology gap approach to why growth rates differ," Working Papers Archives 1987002, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Oughton, Christine & Landabaso, Mikel & Morgan, Kevin, 2002. "The Regional Innovation Paradox: Innovation Policy and Industrial Policy," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 97-110, January.
- Maurseth, Per Botolf & Verspagen, Bart, 2002. " Knowledge Spillovers in Europe: A Patent Citations Analysis," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 104(4), pages 531-545, December.
- Laura Bottazzi & Giovanni Peri, "undated".
"Innovation and Spillovers in Regions: Evidence from European Patent Data,"
215, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Bottazzi, Laura & Peri, Giovanni, 2003. "Innovation and spillovers in regions: Evidence from European patent data," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 687-710, August.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Badinger, Harald & Tondl, Gabriele, 2002.
"Trade, human capital and innovation: The engines of European regional growth in the 1990s,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa02p043, European Regional Science Association.
- Gabriele Tondl, 2002. "Trade, Human Capital and Innovation: The Engines of European Regional Growth in the 1990s," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 237, Society for Computational Economics.
- Jan Fagerberg & Bart Verspagen, 1996. "Heading for Divergence? Regional Growth in Europe Reconsidered," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 431-448, 09.
- Aadne Cappelen & Fulvio Castellacci & Jan Fagerberg & Bart Verspagen, 2003. "The Impact of EU Regional Support on Growth and Convergence in the European Union," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41, pages 621-644, 09.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2135, David K. Levine.
- Ben Gardiner & Ron Martin & Tyler Peter, 2004. "Competitiveness, Productivity and Economic Growth across the European Regions," ERSA conference papers ersa04p333, European Regional Science Association.
- Abramovitz, Moses, 1986. "Catching Up, Forging Ahead, and Falling Behind," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(02), pages 385-406, June.
- Jan Fagerberg, 1999. "The Economic Challenge for Europe: Adapting to Innovation-Based Growth," Working Papers 2, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anc:wpaper:260. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.