Understanding capacity through the processes and outcomes of interorganizational relationships in nonprofit community sport organizations
Engaging in relationships with other organizations is one way for nonprofit community sport organizations (CSOs) to acquire needed resources, knowledge, and other social benefits while achieving important public purposes and building community cohesion. This study explored the processes and outcomes of interorganizational relationships in CSOs through semi-structured interviews with presidents of these organizations (N=20). The findings revealed key relationship processes including trust, consistency, balance, and engagement as well as specific management skills. The findings also revealed that relationships impacted CSOs through enabling improvements to program/service quality and operations, and enhancing community presence. The study contributes to the interorganizational relationship literature and our understanding of how relationships advance organizational goals in this small nonprofit context.
Volume (Year): 16 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wicker, Pamela & Breuer, Christoph, 2011. "Scarcity of resources in German non-profit sport clubs," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 188-201, May.
- Ariño, Africa & de la Torre, Jose & Ring, Peter S., 2001. "Relational quality: Managing trust in corporate alliances," IESE Research Papers D/434, IESE Business School.
- Hoye, Russell & Cuskelly, Graham, 2003. "Board-Executive Relationships within Voluntary Sport Organisations," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 53-73, May.
- A. Balduck & A. Van Rossem & M. Buelens, 2009. "Identifying Competencies Of Volunteer Board Members Of Community Sports Clubs," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 09/559, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Brinkerhoff, Jennifer M., 2002. "Assessing and improving partnership relationships and outcomes: a proposed framework," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 215-231, August.
- Vera Belaya & Jon Henrich Hanf, 2009. "A multi-theoretical perspective on power in managing interorganizational relationships," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(11), pages 1040-1049, October.
- Ritter, Thomas & Gemunden, Hans Georg, 2003. "Interorganizational relationships and networks: An overview," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(9), pages 691-697, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:spomar:v:16:y:2013:i:2:p:135-147. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.