A framework to measure the relative socio-economic performance of developing countries
This research develops a framework to estimate the relative efficiency of developing countries in utilizing both their domestic and external resources to achieve the Millennium Development Goals. The analysis highlights distinct efficiency differences across lending groups and geographic regions e.g. between Sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America. The performance of regions exposed to natural disasters and political violence need to be analyzed individually and risk management ought to be an integrated part of development policy. The gap between the Millennium Development Goals and human rights approaches is then examined. Finally, we qualify a country's performance level as potentially sustainable in terms of human, social and environmental welfare, in turn searching for realistic benchmarks and intermediate targets for the relatively inefficient countries. Principal component analysis in combination with data envelopment analysis was applied to solve the problem of efficiency overestimation with multi-dimensional scaling used to present the issue graphically. In summary, the aim of this work is not to rank countries in a league table rather to provide a framework that combines economic, environmental and social issues in order to search for sustainable, pragmatic benchmarks, pushing the boundaries of the Human Development Index.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael A. Clemens & Charles J. Kenny & Todd J. Moss, 2004.
"The Trouble with the MDGs: Confronting Expectations of Aid and Development Success,"
40, Center for Global Development.
- Clemens, Michael A. & Kenny, Charles J. & Moss, Todd J., 2007. "The Trouble with the MDGs: Confronting Expectations of Aid and Development Success," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 735-751, May.
- Michael Clemens & Charles Kenny & Todd Moss, 2004. "The Trouble with the MDGs: Confronting Expectations of Aid and Development Success," Development and Comp Systems 0405011, EconWPA.
- Knox Lovell, C. A., 1995. "Measuring the macroeconomic performance of the Taiwanese economy," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 165-178, April.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Neumayer, Eric, 2001. "The human development index and sustainability -- a constructive proposal," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 101-114, October.
- Sten Thore & Ruzanna Tarverdyan, 2008. "Using Data Envelopment Analysis To Screen The Possibility Of A Fair Globalization," Portuguese Journal of Management Studies, ISEG, Universidade de Lisboa, vol. 0(1), pages 129-151.
- Laurens Cherchye, 2001. "Using data envelopment analysis to assess macroeconomic policy performance," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(3), pages 407-416.
- Dugbatey, Kwesi, 1999. "National health policies: sub-Saharan African case studies (1980-1990)," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 223-240, July.
- Niels Lind, 1992. "Some thoughts on the human development index," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 89-101, August.
- Sudhir Anand & Amartya Sen, 2000. "The Income Component of the Human Development Index," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106.
- Schneider, Friedrich G., 2007. "Shadow Economies and Corruption All Over the World: New Estimates for 145 Countries," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 1, pages 1-66.
- Hartwig de Haen & Günter Hemrich, 2007. "The economics of natural disasters: implications and challenges for food security," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(s1), pages 31-45, December.
- Arcelus, F.J. & Sharma, B. & Srinivasan, G., 2005. "The Human Development Index Adjusted for Efficient Resource Utilization," Working Paper Series RP2005/08, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Aoki, Shingo, 2001. "A use of a nonparametric statistic for DEA frontier shift: the Kruskal and Wallis rank test," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Paul Gertler, 2004. "Do Conditional Cash Transfers Improve Child Health? Evidence from PROGRESA's Control Randomized Experiment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 336-341, May.
- António Afonso & Miguel St. Aubyn, 2005. "Non-parametric approaches to education and health efficiency in OECD countries," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 227-246, November.
- Srinivasan, T N, 1994. "Human Development: A New Paradigm or Reinvention of the Wheel?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 238-43, May.
- Léopold Simar, 2003. "Detecting Outliers in Frontier Models: A Simple Approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 391-424, November.
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & E. Rhodes, 1981. "Evaluating Program and Managerial Efficiency: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis to Program Follow Through," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(6), pages 668-697, June.
- Sagar, Ambuj D. & Najam, Adil, 1998. "The human development index: a critical review," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 249-264, June.
- Nelson, Paul J., 2007. "Human Rights, the Millennium Development Goals, and the Future of Development Cooperation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 2041-2055, December.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Golany, Boaz & Thore, Sten, 1997. "The Economic and Social Performance of Nations: Efficiency and Returns to Scale," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 191-204, September.
- Sanchez-Ancochea, Diego, 2006. "Development trajectories and new comparative advantages: Costa Rica and the Dominican Republic under Globalization," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 996-1015, June.
- Tandon, Ajay, 2005. "Measuring Efficiency of Macro Systems: An Application to Millennium Development Goal Attainment," Asian Development Review, Asian Development Bank, vol. 22(2), pages 108-125.
- Laura B. Rawlings, 2005. "Evaluating the Impact of Conditional Cash Transfer Programs," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 20(1), pages 29-55.
- Adler, Nicole & Golany, Boaz, 2001. "Evaluation of deregulated airline networks using data envelopment analysis combined with principal component analysis with an application to Western Europe," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 260-273, July.
- Miller, Candace Marie & Gruskin, Sofia & Subramanian, S.V. & Heymann, Jody, 2007. "Emerging health disparities in Botswana: Examining the situation of orphans during the AIDS epidemic," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 64(12), pages 2476-2486, June.
- Desai, Meghnad, 1991. "Human development : Concepts and measurement," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(2-3), pages 350-357, April.
- Arcelus Francisco J & Sharma Basu & Srinivasan Gopalan, 2005. "Foreign Capital Flows and the Efficiency of the HDI Dimensions," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-14, June.
- Augustin Fosu & Robert Bates & Anke Hoeffler, 2006. "Institutions, Governance and Economic Development in Africa: An Overview," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 15(1), pages 1-9, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceps:v:44:y:2010:i:2:p:73-88. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.