Analysing banks’ intermediation and operational performance using the Hicks–Moorsteen TFP index: The case of Iran
In order to analyse the impact of policy reforms on the performance of the banking sector in Iran we present a decomposition of the Hicks–Moorsteen Total Factor Productivity (TFP). This entails a comparison of both the intermediate and operating performances of different types of banks in the pre- and post-reform eras. Our results show that under the intermediation approach, state-owned banks (public banks) were considerably more efficient than private banks in the post-regulation period. In contrast, under the operating approach, private banks were fully technically efficient and mix efficient in both pre and post-reform eras. This paper highlights the importance of analysing performance from multiple perspectives. The findings reflect public banks’ mission to maximise loans to target groups while private banks are motivated more by financial profit.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 2001.
"Explaining the Dramatic Changes in Performance of U.S. Banks: Technological Change, Deregulation and Dynamic Changes in Competition,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
01-22, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Berger, Allen N. & Mester, Loretta J., 2003. "Explaining the dramatic changes in performance of US banks: technological change, deregulation, and dynamic changes in competition," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 57-95, January.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 2002. "Explaining the dramatic changes in performance of U.S. banks: technological change, deregulation, and dynamic changes in competition," Working Papers 01-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- McAllister, Patrick H. & McManus, Douglas, 1993. "Resolving the scale efficiency puzzle in banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 389-405, April.
- C.J. O'Donnell, 2010.
"Nonparametric Estimates Of The Components Of Productivity And Profitability Change In U.S. Agriculture,"
CEPA Working Papers Series
WP022010, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Christopher J. O'Donnell, 2012. "Nonparametric Estimates of the Components of Productivity and Profitability Change in U.S. Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 94(4), pages 873-890.
- Barbara Casu & Claudia Girardone, 2004. "Financial conglomeration: efficiency, productivity and strategic drive," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(10), pages 687-696.
- David C. Wheelock & Paul W. Wilson, 1996.
"Technical progress, inefficiency and productivity change in U.S. banking, 1984-1993,"
1994-021, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Wheelock, David C & Wilson, Paul W, 1999. "Technical Progress, Inefficiency, and Productivity Change in U.S. Banking, 1984-1993," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(2), pages 212-34, May.
- Gilbert, R. Alton & Wilson, Paul W., 1998. "Effects of Deregulation on the Productivity of Korean Banks," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 133-155, March.
- Kenjegalieva, Karligash A. & Simper, Richard, 2011. "A productivity analysis of Central and Eastern European banking taking into account risk decomposition and environmental variables," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 26-38, January.
- Maghyereh, Aktham I. & Awartani, Basel, 2012. "Financial integration of GCC banking markets: A non-parametric bootstrap DEA estimation approach," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 181-195.
- Leightner, Jonathan E. & Lovell, C. A. Knox, 1998. "The Impact of Financial Liberalization on the Performance of Thai Banks," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 115-131, March.
- Tim J. Coelli & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2005.
"Total factor productivity growth in agriculture: a Malmquist index analysis of 93 countries, 1980-2000,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(s1), pages 115-134, 01.
- Tim J. Coelli & D.S. Prasada Rao, 2003. "Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agriculture: A Malmquist Index Analysis of 93 Countries,1980-2000," CEPA Working Papers Series WP022003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Casu, Barbara & Girardone, Claudia & Molyneux, Philip, 2004. "Productivity change in European banking: A comparison of parametric and non-parametric approaches," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2521-2540, October.
- Berger, Allen N. & Hanweck, Gerald A. & Humphrey, David B., 1987.
"Competitive viability in banking : Scale, scope, and product mix economies,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 501-520, December.
- Allen N. Berger & Gerald A. Hanweck & David B. Humphrey, 1986. "Competitive viability in banking: scale, scope, and product mix economies," Research Papers in Banking and Financial Economics 82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ray, Subhash C & Desli, Evangelia, 1997. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1033-39, December.
- Paul W. Bauer & Allen N. Berger & Gary D. Ferrier & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Consistency conditions for regulatory analysis of financial institutions: a comparison of frontier efficiency methods,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-50, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bauer, Paul W. & Berger, Allen N. & Ferrier, Gary D. & Humphrey, David B., 1998. "Consistency Conditions for Regulatory Analysis of Financial Institutions: A Comparison of Frontier Efficiency Methods," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 85-114, March.
- Paul W. Bauer & Allen N. Berger & Gary D. Ferrier & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Consistency conditions for regulatory analysis of financial institutions: a comparison of frontier efficiency methods," Financial Services working paper 97-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Amir Arjomandi & Charles Harvie & Abbas Valadkhani, 2012. "An empirical analysis of Iran's banking performance," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(4), pages 287-300, November.
- Sealey, Calvin W, Jr & Lindley, James T, 1977. "Inputs, Outputs, and a Theory of Production and Cost at Depository Financial Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1251-66, September.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Fadzlan Sufian, 2008. "Revenue shifts and non-bank financial institutions' productivity: Empirical evidence from Malaysia," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(2), pages 76-92, March.
- Worthington, Andrew C., 1999. "Malmquist indices of productivity change in Australian financial services," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 303-320, August.
- Mukherjee, Kankana & Ray, Subhash C. & Miller, Stephen M., 2001. "Productivity growth in large US commercial banks: The initial post-deregulation experience," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 913-939, May.
- Catarina Figueira & Joseph Nellis & David Parker, 2009. "Banking performance and technological change in non-core EU countries: A study of Spain and Portugal," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 26(3), pages 155-170, August.
- Aly, Hassan Y, et al, 1990. "Technical, Scale, and Allocative Efficiencies in U.S. Banking: An Empirical Investigation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 211-18, May.
- Bjurek, Hans, 1996. " The Malmquist Total Factor Productivity Index," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 98(2), pages 303-13, June.
- Vassilios, Babalos & Guglielmo-Maria, Caporale & Philippas, Nikolaos, 2012.
"Efficiency evaluation of Greek equity funds,"
37954, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Iturralde, Maria José & Quirós, Cipriano, 2008. "Analysis of efficiency of the European postal sector," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 84-90, July.
- O'Donnell, Christopher J., 2010.
"Measuring and decomposing agricultural productivity and profitability change,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 54(4), December.
- Christopher J. O'Donnell, 2010. "Measuring and decomposing agricultural productivity and profitability change ," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 54(4), pages 527-560, October.
- O'Donnell, Christopher J., 2009. "Measuring And Decomposing Agricultural Productivity And Profitability Change," 2009 Conference (53rd), February 11-13, 2009, Cairns, Australia 47625, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Penny Neal, 2004. "X-Efficiency and Productivity Change in Australian Banking," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 174-191, 06.
- Ma, Jinlong & Evans, David G. & Fuller, Robert J. & Stewart, Donald F., 2002. "Technical efficiency and productivity change of China's iron and steel industry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 293-312, April.
- Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2012. "Bootstrapping the Malmquist indexes for Italian airports," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 403-411.
- Abbas Valadkhani, 2004. "What determines private investment in Iran?," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(5/6), pages 457-468, May.
- Drake, Leigh & Hall, Maximilian J.B. & Simper, Richard, 2006.
"The impact of macroeconomic and regulatory factors on bank efficiency: A non-parametric analysis of Hong Kong's banking system,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1443-1466, May.
- Leigh M. Drake & Maximilian J. B. Hall & Richard Simper, 2005. "The Impact of Macroeconomic and Regulatory Factors on Bank Efficiency: A Non-Parametric Analysis of Hong Kong's Banking System," Working Papers 012005, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Avkiran, Necmi Kemal, 1999. "The evidence on efficiency gains: The role of mergers and the benefits to the public," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 991-1013, July.
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Forsund, Finn R & Jansen, Eilev S, 1992. " Malmquist Indices of Productivity Growth during the Deregulation of Norwegian Banking, 1980-89," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S211-28, Supplemen.
- Fare, Rolf & Shawna Grosskopf & Mary Norris & Zhongyang Zhang, 1994. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 66-83, March.
- Mitchell, Karlyn & Onvural, Nur M, 1996. "Economies of Scale and Scope at Large Commercial Banks: Evidence from the Fourier Flexible Functional Form," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(2), pages 178-99, May.
- Hitesh Arora & Padmasai Arora, 2012. "Bank productivity measurement using Hicks-Moorsteen indices: evidence from Indian public sector banks," International Journal of Business Performance Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 13(3/4), pages 386-407.
- Sathye, Milind, 2001. "X-efficiency in Australian banking: An empirical investigation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 613-630, March.
- Sturm, Jan-Egbert & Williams, Barry, 2004. "Foreign bank entry, deregulation and bank efficiency: Lessons from the Australian experience," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1775-1799, July.
- Epure, Mircea & Kerstens, Kristiaan & Prior, Diego, 2011. "Technology-based total factor productivity and benchmarking: New proposals and an application," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 608-619, December.
- Clark, Jeffrey A, 1996. "Economic Cost, Scale Efficiency, and Competitive Viability in Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(3), pages 342-64, August.
- Grifell-Tatje, E. & Lovell, C. A. K., 1997. "The sources of productivity change in Spanish banking," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 364-380, April.
- Pasiouras, Fotios, 2008. "Estimating the technical and scale efficiency of Greek commercial banks: The impact of credit risk, off-balance sheet activities, and international operations," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 301-318, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:riibaf:v:30:y:2014:i:c:p:111-125. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.