A Review of Carbon Capture and Sequestration in Iran: Microalgal Biofixation Potential in Iran
The continuous rise in CO2 and global warming is a major issue facing the world today. Iran with annual CO2 production of 532.4 million tons in 2010 has been reported to be the 9th country in the world. Shortage, low efficiency, losses, subsidies and unsuitable consumption pattern in sub-sectors challenge Iran׳s energy sector. Country׳s energy supply is intensively dependent on oil and gas, which lead to produce more greenhouse-gas emission. Therefore, Iran should establish some policies to control its environmental pollutions and place carbon-mitigation strategy within the government agenda as soon as possible. Efficient use of energy, progress of renewable energy and enhancing CO2 sequestration to mitigate more CO2 can be alternatives for reduction of greenhouse-gas emissions. Regarding major geological formations such as the second largest natural-gas reservoir and the third-greatest oil reservoir in the world and the second largest basin in the Middle East, storage of carbon and enhanced oil recovery seem to be a suitable choice for carbon capture and storage. Moreover, in Iran due to a vast land area, presence of various saline lakes which containing different species of microalgae and opportunity of establishing microalgae culture ponds, the capture unit and microalgal culture can be located close to carbon sources, which are scattered and far from geological formations. Besides CO2 mitigation, microalgae cultures can also produce valuable products and cause carbon capture more efficient. This article with the aim of anthropogenic CO2 reduction, reviews programs in the field of energy management and sustainable energy development to control emission. Then carbon sources and the potentials to capture and sequester CO2 are explored. In the end, potentials of microalgae in Iran to mitigate CO2 are described. This review is designed to investigate abilities in Iran to utilize or minimize CO2 and deploy biological carbon sequestration in the context of Iran׳s policy environment.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 35 (2014)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nguyen, Thanh Nhan & Ha-Duong, Minh, 2008.
"ECONOMIC Potential of Renewable Energy in Vietnam's Power Sector,"
21173, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nguyen, Nhan T. & Ha-Duong, Minh, 2009. "Economic potential of renewable energy in Vietnam's power sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1601-1613, May.
- Nhan Thanh Nguyen & Minh Ha-Duong, 2009. "Economic Potential of Renewable Energy in Vietnam's Power Sector," Post-Print halshs-00431250, HAL.
- Sung, K.D. & Lee, J.S. & Shin, C.S. & Park, S.C., 1999. "Isolation of a new highly CO2 tolerant fresh water Microalga Chlorella sp. KR-1," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1019-1022.
- Hosseini, R. & Soltani, M. & Valizadeh, G., 2005. "Technical and economic assessment of the integrated solar combined cycle power plants in Iran," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 1541-1555.
- Najafi, G. & Ghobadian, B. & Tavakoli, T. & Yusaf, T., 2009. "Potential of bioethanol production from agricultural wastes in Iran," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(6-7), pages 1418-1427, August.
- Minh Ha-Duong & David Keith, 2003. "Carbon storage: the economic efficiency of storing CO2 in leaky reservoirs," Post-Print halshs-00003927, HAL.
- Mata, Teresa M. & Martins, António A. & Caetano, Nidia. S., 2010. "Microalgae for biodiesel production and other applications: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 217-232, January.
- Mazandarani, A. & Mahlia, T.M.I. & Chong, W.T. & Moghavvemi, M., 2011. "Fuel consumption and emission prediction by Iranian power plants until 2025," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 1575-1592, April.
- Shafie-Pour, Majid & Ardestani, Mojtaba, 2007. "Environmental damage costs in Iran by the energy sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 4413-4423, September.
- Dincer, Ibrahim & Rosen, Marc A., 2005. "Thermodynamic aspects of renewables and sustainable development," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 169-189, April.
- Yaghoubi, M. & Azizian, K. & Kenary, A., 2003. "Simulation of Shiraz solar power plant for optimal assessment," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 1985-1998.
- Meng, Kyle C. & Williams, Robert H. & Celia, Michael A., 2007. "Opportunities for low-cost CO2 storage demonstration projects in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 2368-2378, April.
- Rasoul-Amini, Sara & Montazeri-Najafabady, Nima & Mobasher, Mohammad Ali & Hoseini-Alhashemi, Samira & Ghasemi, Younes, 2011. "Chlorella sp.: A new strain with highly saturated fatty acids for biodiesel production in bubble-column photobioreactor," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(10), pages 3354-3356.
- Najafi, Gholamhassan & Ghobadian, Barat & Yusaf, Talal F., 2011. "Algae as a sustainable energy source for biofuel production in Iran: A case study," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(8), pages 3870-3876.
- Ono, Tetsuo & Maeda, Yasuo, 2001.
"Sustainable Development in an Aging Economy,"
32, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Houri Jafari, H. & Baratimalayeri, A., 2008. "The crisis of gasoline consumption in the Iran's transportation sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2536-2543, July.
- Ghobadian, Barat & Najafi, Gholamhassan & Rahimi, Hadi & Yusaf, T.F., 2009. "Future of renewable energies in Iran," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 689-695, April.
- Ghorbani, Afshin & Bazooyar, Bahamin, 2012. "Optimization of the combustion of SOME (soybean oil methyl ester), B5, B10, B20 and petrodiesel in a semi industrial boiler," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 217-227.
- Lotfalipour, Mohammad Reza & Falahi, Mohammad Ali & Ashena, Malihe, 2010. "Economic growth, CO2 emissions, and fossil fuels consumption in Iran," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 5115-5120.
- Mazandarani, A. & Mahlia, T.M.I. & Chong, W.T. & Moghavvemi, M., 2010. "A review on the pattern of electricity generation and emission in Iran from 1967 to 2008," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(7), pages 1814-1829, September.
- Rahaman, Muhammad Syukri Abd & Cheng, Li-Hua & Xu, Xin-Hua & Zhang, Lin & Chen, Huan-Lin, 2011. "A review of carbon dioxide capture and utilization by membrane integrated microalgal cultivation processes," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(8), pages 4002-4012.
- Bahadar, Ali & Bilal Khan, M., 2013. "Progress in energy from microalgae: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 128-148.
- Kheshgi, Haroon S. & Prince, Roger C., 2005. "Sequestration of fermentation CO2 from ethanol production," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 1865-1871.
- Rubin, Edward S. & Chen, Chao & Rao, Anand B., 2007. "Cost and performance of fossil fuel power plants with CO2 capture and storage," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 4444-4454, September.
- Tabatabaei, Meisam & Tohidfar, Masoud & Jouzani, Gholamreza Salehi & Safarnejad, Mohammadreza & Pazouki, Mohammad, 2011. "Biodiesel production from genetically engineered microalgae: Future of bioenergy in Iran," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 1918-1927, May.
- Karbassi, A.R. & Abduli, M.A. & Mahin Abdollahzadeh, E., 2007. "Sustainability of energy production and use in Iran," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 5171-5180, October.
- Kiani, Behdad & Ali Pourfakhraei, Mohammad, 2010. "A system dynamic model for production and consumption policy in Iran oil and gas sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 7764-7774, December.
- Mostafaeipour, Ali & Mostafaeipour, Neda, 2009. "Renewable energy issues and electricity production in Middle East compared with Iran," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(6-7), pages 1641-1645, August.
- Brennan, Liam & Owende, Philip, 2010. "Biofuels from microalgae--A review of technologies for production, processing, and extractions of biofuels and co-products," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 557-577, February.
- Jacmart, Marie Claude & Arditi, Maryse & Arditi, Irene, 1979. "The world distribution of commercial energy consumption," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 199-207, September.
- Oltra, Christian, 2011. "Stakeholder perceptions of biofuels from microalgae," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1774-1781, March.
- Jiang, Liling & Luo, Shengjun & Fan, Xiaolei & Yang, Zhiman & Guo, Rongbo, 2011. "Biomass and lipid production of marine microalgae using municipal wastewater and high concentration of CO2," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(10), pages 3336-3341.
- Riahi, Keywan & Rubin, Edward S. & Schrattenholzer, Leo, 2004. "Prospects for carbon capture and sequestration technologies assuming their technological learning," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1309-1318.
- Aydin, Gokhan & Karakurt, Izzet & Aydiner, Kerim, 2010. "Evaluation of geologic storage options of CO2: Applicability, cost, storage capacity and safety," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 5072-5080, September.
- Kondili, E.M. & Kaldellis, J.K., 2007. "Biofuel implementation in East Europe: Current status and future prospects," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(9), pages 2137-2151, December.
- Romeo, Luis M. & Calvo, Elena & Valero, Antonio & De Vita, Alessia, 2009. "Electricity consumption and CO2 capture potential in Spain," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1341-1350.
- Suali, Emma & Sarbatly, Rosalam, 2012. "Conversion of microalgae to biofuel," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 4316-4342.
- Ghorbani, Afshin & Bazooyar, Bahamin & Shariati, Ahmad & Jokar, Seyyed Mohammad & Ajami, Hadi & Naderi, Ali, 2011. "A comparative study of combustion performance and emission of biodiesel blends and diesel in an experimental boiler," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(12), pages 4725-4732.
- Birol, F. & Guerer, N., 1993. "Modelling the transport sector fuel demand for developng economies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(12), pages 1163-1172, December.
- Holttinen, Hannele & Tuhkanen, Sami, 2004. "The effect of wind power on CO2 abatement in the Nordic Countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(14), pages 1639-1652, September.
- Torp, Tore A & Gale, John, 2004. "Demonstrating storage of CO2 in geological reservoirs: The Sleipner and SACS projects," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1361-1369.
- Fadai, Dawud, 2007. "Utilization of renewable energy sources for power generation in Iran," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 173-181, January.
- Harun, Razif & Singh, Manjinder & Forde, Gareth M. & Danquah, Michael K., 2010. "Bioprocess engineering of microalgae to produce a variety of consumer products," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 1037-1047, April.
- Noorollahi, Younes & Yousefi, Hossein & Itoi, Ryuichi & Ehara, Sachio, 2009. "Geothermal energy resources and development in Iran," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 1127-1132, June.
- Arts, R. & Eiken, O. & Chadwick, A. & Zweigel, P. & van der Meer, L. & Zinszner, B., 2004. "Monitoring of CO2 injected at Sleipner using time-lapse seismic data," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1383-1392.
- Maldal, T & Tappel, I.M, 2004. "CO2 underground storage for Snøhvit gas field development," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1403-1411.
- Khosroshahi, Kaveh Aflaki & Jadid, Shahram & Shahidehpour, Mohammad, 2009. "Electric Power Restructuring in Iran: Achievements and Challenges," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 74-83, March.
- Packer, Mike, 2009. "Algal capture of carbon dioxide; biomass generation as a tool for greenhouse gas mitigation with reference to New Zealand energy strategy and policy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3428-3437, September.
- Li, H. & Yan, J., 2009. "Evaluating cubic equations of state for calculation of vapor-liquid equilibrium of CO2 and CO2-mixtures for CO2 capture and storage processes," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(6), pages 826-836, June.
- William R. Cline, 2007. "Global Warming and Agriculture: Impact Estimates by Country," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 4037.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:35:y:2014:i:c:p:73-100. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.