Feedstocks, logistics and pre-treatment processes for sustainable lignocellulosic biorefineries: A comprehensive review
More than a century long research and development on utilization of lignocellulosic biomass for biofuels and biomaterials are still in its formative years and the main reason for this is the over-dependence on the fossil fuel reserves. Active research works in the last decades has resulted in a few industrial units to start, stumble and become the forerunners of future biorefineries. But the current system of feedstock logistics and biomass valorization has many drawbacks that make the biorefinery operations unsuccessful throughout the world. This paper discusses the important lignocellulosic feedstocks used, existing and alternate logistical practices, and the pretreatment of biomass for the biorefinery operations. It also emphasises on the importance of decentralized pretreatment of lignocellulosic biomass for the centralized biorefinery operations.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 25 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brown, Tristan R. & Thilakaratne, Rajeeva & Brown, Robert C. & Hu, Guiping, 2013. "Regional differences in the economic feasibility of advanced biorefineries: Fast pyrolysis and hydroprocessing," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 234-243.
- Cherubini, Francesco & Ulgiati, Sergio, 2010. "Crop residues as raw materials for biorefinery systems - A LCA case study," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 47-57, January.
- Silva Herran, Diego & Nakata, Toshihiko, 2012. "Design of decentralized energy systems for rural electrification in developing countries considering regional disparity," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 130-145.
- Fatih Demirbas, M., 2009. "Biorefineries for biofuel upgrading: A critical review," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(Supplemen), pages 151-161, November.
- Pettersson, Karin & Harvey, Simon, 2010. "CO2 emission balances for different black liquor gasification biorefinery concepts for production of electricity or second-generation liquid biofuels," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 1101-1106.
- Goh, Chun Sheng & Lee, Keat Teong, 2011. "Second-generation biofuel (SGB) in Southeast Asia via lignocellulosic biorefinery: Penny-foolish but pound-wise," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 2714-2718, August.
- Singh, Jasvinder & Gu, Sai, 2010. "Biomass conversion to energy in India--A critique," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 1367-1378, June.
- Chew, J.J. & Doshi, V., 2011. "Recent advances in biomass pretreatment – Torrefaction fundamentals and technology," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(8), pages 4212-4222.
- Fahd, S. & Fiorentino, G. & Mellino, S. & Ulgiati, S., 2012. "Cropping bioenergy and biomaterials in marginal land: The added value of the biorefinery concept," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 79-93.
- Tsai, Wen-Tien, 2009. "Coupling of energy and agricultural policies on promoting the production of biomass energy from energy crops and grasses in Taiwan," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(6-7), pages 1495-1503, August.
- Shi, Yan & Ge, Ying & Chang, Jie & Shao, Hongbo & Tang, Yuli, 2013. "Garden waste biomass for renewable and sustainable energy production in China: Potential, challenges and development," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 22(C), pages 432-437.
- Amigun, Bamikole & Musango, Josephine Kaviti & Stafford, William, 2011. "Biofuels and sustainability in Africa," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 1360-1372, February.
- Naik, S.N. & Goud, Vaibhav V. & Rout, Prasant K. & Dalai, Ajay K., 2010. "Production of first and second generation biofuels: A comprehensive review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 578-597, February.
- von Braun, Joachim & Pachauri, R. K., 2006. "The promises and challenges of biofuels for the poor in developing countries: IFPRI 2005-2006 Annual Report Essay," Annual report essays 2006Essay, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ellis, Frank & Sumberg, James, 1998. "Food production, urban areas and policy responses," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 213-225, February.
- Carolan Joseph E. & Joshi Satish V. & Dale Bruce E., 2007. "Technical and Financial Feasibility Analysis of Distributed Bioprocessing Using Regional Biomass Pre-Processing Centers," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-29, December.
- K.C., Surendra & Khanal, Samir Kumar & Shrestha, Prachand & Lamsal, Buddhi, 2011. "Current status of renewable energy in Nepal: Opportunities and challenges," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(8), pages 4107-4117.
- Kaygusuz, Kamil, 2012. "Energy for sustainable development: A case of developing countries," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 1116-1126.
- Lawrence D. Mapemba & Francis M. Epplin & Charles M. Taliaferro & Raymond L. Huhnke, 2007. "Biorefinery Feedstock Production on Conservation Reserve Program Land," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 29(2), pages 227-246.
- Ramachandra, T. V. & Joshi, N. V. & Subramanian, D. K., 2000. "Present and prospective role of bioenergy in regional energy system," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 375-430, December.
- Audsley, E. & Annetts, J. E., 2003. "Modelling the value of a rural biorefinery--part I: the model description," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 39-59, April.
- Annetts, J. E. & Audsley, E., 2003. "Modelling the value of a rural biorefinery--part II: analysis and implications," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 61-76, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:25:y:2013:i:c:p:205-219. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.