Modeling of biomass-to-energy supply chain operations: Applications, challenges and research directions
Reducing dependency on fossil fuels and mitigating their environmental impacts are among the most promising aspects of utilizing renewable energy sources. The availability of various biomass resources has made it an appealing source of renewable energy. Given the variability of supply and sources of biomass, supply chains play an important role in the efficient provisioning of biomass resources for energy production. This paper provides a comprehensive review and classification of the excising literature in modeling of biomass supply chain operations while linking them to the wider strategic challenges and issues with the design, planning and management of biomass supply chains. On that basis, we will present an analysis of the existing gaps and the potential future directions for research in modeling of biomass supply chain operations.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huang, Yongxi & Chen, Chien-Wei & Fan, Yueyue, 2010. "Multistage optimization of the supply chains of biofuels," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 820-830, November.
- Charles, Michael B. & Ryan, Rachel & Ryan, Neal & Oloruntoba, Richard, 2007. "Public policy and biofuels: The way forward?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 5737-5746, November.
- Saidur, R. & Abdelaziz, E.A. & Demirbas, A. & Hossain, M.S. & Mekhilef, S., 2011. "A review on biomass as a fuel for boilers," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 2262-2289, June.
- Kudakasseril Kurian, Jiby & Raveendran Nair, Gopu & Hussain, Abid & Vijaya Raghavan, G.S., 2013. "Feedstocks, logistics and pre-treatment processes for sustainable lignocellulosic biorefineries: A comprehensive review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 205-219.
- Papapostolou, Christiana & Kondili, Emilia & Kaldellis, John K., 2011. "Development and implementation of an optimisation model for biofuels supply chain," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 6019-6026.
- Awudu, Iddrisu & Zhang, Jun, 2012. "Uncertainties and sustainability concepts in biofuel supply chain management: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 1359-1368.
- Lipp, Judith, 2007. "Lessons for effective renewable electricity policy from Denmark, Germany and the United Kingdom," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 5481-5495, November.
- Evans, Annette & Strezov, Vladimir & Evans, Tim J., 2010. "Sustainability considerations for electricity generation from biomass," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 1419-1427, June.
- Rentizelas, Athanasios A. & Tatsiopoulos, Ilias P., 2010. "Locating a bioenergy facility using a hybrid optimization method," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 196-209, January.
- van Dyken, Silke & Bakken, Bjorn H. & Skjelbred, Hans I., 2010. "Linear mixed-integer models for biomass supply chains with transport, storage and processing," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1338-1350.
- Upreti, Bishnu Raj, 2004. "Conflict over biomass energy development in the United Kingdom: some observations and lessons from England and Wales," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 785-800, April.
- Perpiñá, C. & Alfonso, D. & Pérez-Navarro, A. & Peñalvo, E. & Vargas, C. & Cárdenas, R., 2009. "Methodology based on Geographic Information Systems for biomass logistics and transport optimisation," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 555-565.
- Elghali, Lucia & Clift, Roland & Sinclair, Philip & Panoutsou, Calliope & Bauen, Ausilio, 2007. "Developing a sustainability framework for the assessment of bioenergy systems," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 6075-6083, December.
- Cruz Jr., Jose B. & Tan, Raymond R. & Culaba, Alvin B. & Ballacillo, Jo-Anne, 2009. "A dynamic input-output model for nascent bioenergy supply chains," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(Supplemen), pages S86-S94, November.
- Ignaciuk, A. & Vohringer, F. & Ruijs, A. & van Ierland, E.C., 2006. "Competition between biomass and food production in the presence of energy policies: a partial equilibrium analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 1127-1138, July.
- Krajnc, N. & Domac, J., 2007. "How to model different socio-economic and environmental aspects of biomass utilisation: Case study in selected regions in Slovenia and Croatia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 6010-6020, December.
- Gunnarsson, Helene & Ronnqvist, Mikael & Lundgren, Jan T., 2004. "Supply chain modelling of forest fuel," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 158(1), pages 103-123, October.
- Mafakheri, Fereshteh & Breton, Michele & Ghoniem, Ahmed, 2011. "Supplier selection-order allocation: A two-stage multiple criteria dynamic programming approach," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 52-57, July.
- Bai, Yun & Hwang, Taesung & Kang, Seungmo & Ouyang, Yanfeng, 2011. "Biofuel refinery location and supply chain planning under traffic congestion," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 162-175, January.
- Mobini, Mahdi & Sowlati, Taraneh & Sokhansanj, Shahab, 2011. "Forest biomass supply logistics for a power plant using the discrete-event simulation approach," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(4), pages 1241-1250, April.
- Berry, Trent & Jaccard, Mark, 2001. "The renewable portfolio standard:: design considerations and an implementation survey," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 263-277, March.
- Baños, R. & Manzano-Agugliaro, F. & Montoya, F.G. & Gil, C. & Alcayde, A. & Gómez, J., 2011. "Optimization methods applied to renewable and sustainable energy: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 1753-1766, May.
- Sodhi, ManMohan S. & Tang, Christopher S., 2009. "Modeling supply-chain planning under demand uncertainty using stochastic programming: A survey motivated by asset-liability management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 728-738, October.
- Rondinelli, Dennis & Berry, Michael, 2000. "Multimodal transportation, logistics, and the environment: managing interactions in a global economy," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 398-410, August.
- Velazquez-Marti, B. & Fernandez-Gonzalez, E., 2010. "Mathematical algorithms to locate factories to transform biomass in bioenergy focused on logistic network construction," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 2136-2142.
- Leduc, S. & Starfelt, F. & Dotzauer, E. & Kindermann, G. & McCallum, I. & Obersteiner, M. & Lundgren, J., 2010. "Optimal location of lignocellulosic ethanol refineries with polygeneration in Sweden," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 2709-2716.
- Adams, P.W. & Hammond, G.P. & McManus, M.C. & Mezzullo, W.G., 2011. "Barriers to and drivers for UK bioenergy development," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 1217-1227, February.
- Nasiri, Fuzhan & Zaccour, Georges, 2009. "An exploratory game-theoretic analysis of biomass electricity generation supply chain," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4514-4522, November.
- Vera, David & Carabias, Julio & Jurado, Francisco & Ruiz-Reyes, Nicolás, 2010. "A Honey Bee Foraging approach for optimal location of a biomass power plant," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(7), pages 2119-2127, July.
- Thornley, Patricia & Rogers, John & Huang, Ye, 2008. "Quantification of employment from biomass power plants," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1922-1927.
- Buchholz, Thomas & Rametsteiner, Ewald & Volk, Timothy A. & Luzadis, Valerie A., 2009. "Multi Criteria Analysis for bioenergy systems assessments," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 484-495, February.
- Martins, Isabel & Constantino, Miguel & Borges, Jose G., 2005. "A column generation approach for solving a non-temporal forest harvest model with spatial structure constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 478-498, March.
- Uslu, Ayla & Faaij, André P.C. & Bergman, P.C.A., 2008. "Pre-treatment technologies, and their effect on international bioenergy supply chain logistics. Techno-economic evaluation of torrefaction, fast pyrolysis and pelletisation," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1206-1223.
- Searchinger, Timothy & Heimlich, Ralph & Houghton, R. A. & Dong, Fengxia & Elobeid, Amani & Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & Tokgoz, Simla & Hayes, Dermot J. & Yu, Hun-Hsiang, 2008. "Use of U.S. Croplands for Biofuels Increases Greenhouse Gases Through Emissions from Land-Use Change," Staff General Research Papers 12881, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Leduc, S. & Lundgren, J. & Franklin, O. & Dotzauer, E., 2010. "Location of a biomass based methanol production plant: A dynamic problem in northern Sweden," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 68-75, January.
- Stefan Gold, 2011. "Bio-energy supply chains and stakeholders," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 439-462, April.
- Thornley, Patricia, 2006. "Increasing biomass based power generation in the UK," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(15), pages 2087-2099, October.
- James A. Larson & Tun-Hsiang Yu & Burton C. English & Daniel F. Mooney & Chenguang Wang, 2010. "Cost evaluation of alternative switchgrass producing, harvesting, storing, and transporting systems and their logistics in the Southeastern USA," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 70(2), pages 184-200, August.
- Yılmaz, Sebnem & Selim, Hasan, 2013. "A review on the methods for biomass to energy conversion systems design," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 420-430.
- Zhang, Fengli & Johnson, Dana M. & Johnson, Mark A., 2012. "Development of a simulation model of biomass supply chain for biofuel production," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 380-391.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:67:y:2014:i:c:p:116-126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.